Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Would brand new sigma and tokina lenses be allowed?
A hushed silence filled the room...

is a Sigma or Tokina weird enough?

The club was originally aimed at the Rodney Dangerfields of the lens world...lenses with no or suspect pedigrees...lenses that get no respect...or even worse...lenses that nobody has ever heard of! Having said that, we did have a Tamron posting! Use your best judgement...

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2008 at 07:13 PM.
07-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Jupiter-9, but it doesn't seem to be that uncommon, at least amongst Pentaxians. One lens I have that I haven't heard anyone mention is the Toyo 28mm f/2.8. It's a tiny (like the FA 50, but lighter), unassuming lens that delivers impressive pictures. It spent a few months as my walk-around lens on the K10D and it served me well. Here's the lens itself:

And these are some of the pictures it took while we were visiting Los Angeles...

Walt Disney Concert Hall (excuse the dust bunny )

...Rome...

Roman Tangerine

...Cambridge, MA...

On the Other Side

...Madrid...

Embalse de Valmayor

Unfortunately, I am selling this lens, as I need to raise funds for the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 (I really want/need the extra stop). It's a shame, because the Sigma probably weighs 5 times more and won't fit in my pocket. If anyone is interested in the Toyo, let me know.

By the way, great thread Steve. People often get stuck in the rut, believing that only the famous brands have good glass, while there are thousands of fine lenses out there, unused, just because they don't have a big name written on them.
07-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Would brand new sigma and tokina lenses be allowed?

No.
07-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Chinonflex Auto Reflex 100mm f/2.8

Schneider-Kreuznach Edixa-Tele-Xenar 135mm f/3.5

07-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

@Miserere,
your 2.8/28 looks very similar to Cosina's making of this lens, aka Revuenon aka whatnot-company. Focusring and aperture ring look the same. Aperture clicks on this one are on the heavy side, right?

One more from the legions of forgotten lenses,
Meyer Görlitz Telemegor 5.5/180 M42-version.

Very handy lens, top daylight walkaround lens. Exotic and not loved, but worth a try. You'll get a soft glow lens with flare (wide open) ,
direct link don't work, gotta klick here, sorry

... and I love flare, so here we go (f/11),

... but some decent IQ also, even wide open (well f/5.5 is 'wide open' :-). BTW I dislike this bokeh, but many people might find it attractive :-)
direct link don't work, gotta klick here, sorry

Make the best of what you've got, it's so much more fun than nitpicking bads and whats and ifs of your gear,
Georg (the other)

PS: Seemingly now it's possible to post Picasa-pics (from search results) into here, great! But: Only full size. Please tell me if this is too big for you screen.
PS edit: Seemingly not always, links inserted

Last edited by georgweb; 07-06-2008 at 11:29 AM.
07-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The club was originally aimed at the Rodney Dangerfields of the lens world...lenses with no or suspect pedigrees...lenses that get no respect...or even worse...lenses that nobody has ever heard of! Having said that, we did have a Tamron posting! Use your best judgement...
I initially thought it was for any old, non-Pentax lens and Tamron 28/2.5 (adap2) was old enough to be a member, as it has been hardly mentioned here, looks like I got it wrong.
Well, we have to resign now. Please don't issue Infringement Notice.
07-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I initially thought it was for any old, non-Pentax lens and Tamron 28/2.5 (adap2) was old enough to be a member, as it has been hardly mentioned here, looks like I got it wrong.
Well, we have to resign now. Please don't issue Infringement Notice.
No mate, it was for off-brand lenses. Tamron, Sigma and Tokina are major 3rd party manufacturers.

07-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
@Miserere,
your 2.8/28 looks very similar to Cosina's making of this lens, aka Revuenon aka whatnot-company. Focusring and aperture ring look the same. Aperture clicks on this one are on the heavy side, right?
Yes they are! But not too heavy to be annoying; I actually find them...reassuring, if you know what I mean. I'll have a look around to see what I find on the net about Cosina.

Thanks, (other) George!
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Don't forget about the Soligor lenses. Japanese glass with a German name. All metal housings.
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Tuttle Quote
Don't forget about the Soligor lenses. Japanese glass with a German name. All metal housings.
And most of them with average to crap quality!

07-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
And most of them with average to crap quality!

I have wondered why there is very little Soligor glass on the used market now. Maybe they all fell apart? Strangely though, back in the late 60's and early 70's, Soligor was a major player in the 3rd-party lens market second to Vivitar. Apparently they had good marketing and/or pricing.
07-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I have a Jupiter-9, but it doesn't seem to be that uncommon, at least amongst Pentaxians. One lens I have that I haven't heard anyone mention is the Toyo 28mm f/2.8. It's a tiny (like the FA 50, but lighter), unassuming lens that delivers impressive pictures. It spent a few months as my walk-around lens on the K10D and it served me well. Here's the lens itself:
Pretty little lens and great pictures. The appearance of your Toyo reminds me of the Prinz Rexatar 50mm that I owned during the 70's.

Steve
07-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Chinonflex Auto Reflex 100mm f/2.8
Yikes!! Chinonflex? Do you have the camera to match?

Steve
07-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow...I was not expecting so much old German glass. People tend to think of Zeiss and Leitz and forget that Meyer and Schneider were big names in their day. (I guess Schneider still is, but not for the small camera market.)

Steve
07-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow...I was not expecting so much old German glass. People tend to think of Zeiss and Leitz and forget that Meyer and Schneider were big names in their day. (I guess Schneider still is, but not for the small camera market.)

Steve
Well, Meyer lenses are quite common among the lens addicts. Although, I guess they are more known as the Pentacon lenses that they made later on. Alot of the Meyers are good quality glass, but they also have some really crap ones, especially in buildquality. Schneider is excellent, but quite rare and hard to get by in M42 mount. I got a 135mm and it is a marverlous piece of glass.

QuoteQuote:
Yikes!! Chinonflex? Do you have the camera to match?
I actually got that lens with a Spotmatic I bought, I didnt even notice it in the auction and it was unusued for a few weeks, until I one day was bored. But I must say it really surprised me. It is infact really sharp, even wideopen.

This shot of my daughter was captured with lens wideopen

The two shots earlier in the thread was also shot wideopen and are unedited RAW straight from camera. You can see more pictures (and bigger sizes) from both the Schneider and Chinonflex at my test gallery here Zewrak