Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
The Off-Brand Club!!

Ok...We have the "M Club" and the "K Club" and someone started a thread celebrating the M-42 Zeiss Jena lenses. How about a club for the common man! How about a club for the little guys! How about a club for the Cosmicars, the Cambrons, the Focals, the Industrars, the Rexatars, and all the other off-brand, house-brand, little-known, and frankly weird lenses of the world!!

So if you have a shot that truly shows off what your lens can do in the hands of a master (you), post it here. If the lens is truly offbeat, post a picture of the lens as well. Even the lowly Holga (yes Ben, even the Holga...) is welcome here.

So to start things off, I have two shots (both taken yesterday evening) to show off two of my weird lenses...

First my Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7 (m-42, circa 1969)




Next my LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2 (m-42, bought new this year from Russia)


(yeah, I know, the EXIF says 50mm...I forgot to update the shake control setting...)

Bring em' on...


Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.
07-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Stratman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Louis, Missouri U S A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,464
A few from my oily aperture bladed Chinar 135 MM F 2.8...





07-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
Jupiter-9 off-brand?

Love this idea!

Jupiter-9!








07-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 142
taken by my Yashica M42 50/1.9 Yashinon DS lens...



07-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
Original Poster
Great bunch of shots! If you know something about the lens (how old, who made it, where you got it, etc.) share the knowledge! I got my Rikenon along with an almost 30 year-old Ricoh Singlex TLS on eBay...both for a mere $25.

Steve
07-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
Tamron 28 2.5

From Tamron 28 f/2.5, first 2 wide open.







07-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member
fearview's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,067
@thread starter

LOL.

hey i like the color of KZOS MC Jupiter-9 produce
07-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,229
I was wondering where I would post some of my odd lens images. i just put this lens up in the bokeh thread but will add a couple of examples here:
Isco Gottingen Tele Westanar 135/3.5 15 aperture blades - a relative of the Schneider-Kreuznach company - bought on Pentax H2 mounted on bellows all in good working order from Eekbay for a song. It is a bit soft at all apertures but I like it!

Constant manual preset aperture.

An example image


07-04-2008, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member
georgweb's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Berlin, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,381
Great idea and really good quality shots!

Here's my suggestion of a cumbersome ghetto-tele-lens:



This is a russian Tair 3 MC 300/4.5 on a Kenko Teleplus MC7 (2xconverter).

This combo is a handful on any tripod (looks like a baseball bat), but really useable at f/5.6 (better than f/8) on a K100D. So you have a useable 600mm at f/11 which does work allright in daylight conditions. Both lens and converter are in the 10-X Euro category and that's why I thought they'd fit here :-)

All the best,
Georg (the other)
07-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@thread starter

LOL.

hey i like the color of KZOS MC Jupiter-9 produce
Yes, the Jupe has great color and great bokeh. I have been very happy with the results I have gotten, but have not done nearly as well as jsherman999 or hinman. They have both done beautiful work with their J-9s.

The nice thing is that the lens is inexpensive and readily available new (if you are willing to wait several weeks for shipping from Russia) or used on fleaBay (usually also from somewhere in the former Soviet Union).
07-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Great idea and really good quality shots!

Here's my suggestion of a cumbersome ghetto-tele-lens:



This is a russian Tair 3 MC 300/4.5 on a Kenko Teleplus MC7 (2xconverter).

This combo is a handful on any tripod (looks like a baseball bat), but really useable at f/5.6 (better than f/8) on a K100D. So you have a useable 600mm at f/11 which does work allright in daylight conditions. Both lens and converter are in the 10-X Euro category and that's why I thought they'd fit here :-)

All the best,
Georg (the other)
Yes, that combo definitely fits here!!!
07-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I was wondering where I would post some of my odd lens images. i just put this lens up in the bokeh thread but will add a couple of examples here:
Isco Gottingen Tele Westanar 135/3.5 15 aperture blades - a relative of the Schneider-Kreuznach company - bought on Pentax H2 mounted on bellows all in good working order from Eekbay for a song. It is a bit soft at all apertures but I like it!
Thanks for the picture of the lens and the example picture. Yes, it is a little soft, but I like the way it rendered the pods.

Steve
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
WJW
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 378
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great bunch of shots! If you know something about the lens (how old, who made it, where you got it, etc.) share the knowledge! I got my Rikenon along with an almost 30 year-old Ricoh Singlex TLS on eBay...both for a mere $25.

Steve
I'm surprised it didn't have the 55/1.4 as that seems to be the most common combination. I've had my TLS/1.4 combo (purchased used with a Vivitar 135/2.8) for..... damn, almost 30 years. Both still work great, although the meter switch on the TLS is getting touchy......
07-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,082
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I'm surprised it didn't have the 55/1.4 as that seems to be the most common combination. I've had my TLS/1.4 combo (purchased used with a Vivitar 135/2.8) for..... damn, almost 30 years. Both still work great, although the meter switch on the TLS is getting touchy......
I bought the camera/lens on an nostalgic impulse about five years ago. My first SLR was a Singlex TLS bought new in 1970. Unfortunately, it was delivered with a Rexatar 50/1.8 (might have been f/1.7) instead of the Rikenon that I thought I was ordering. That camera had been long gone for almost 20 years when I saw this one on eBay with the lens I originally ordered. I could hardly believe it. It was delivered in the original box along with the original manual and packing materials. The leatherette case was disintegrating, but the body, lens, original camera strap and lens cap were in excellent condition (no brassing, no scratches, no obvious flaws except for rotten light seals and mirror damper). The meter is no longer in proper calibration, but the rest of the camera works quite well. There is a picture of the camera here with my Jupiter-9 attached as part of the Jupiter-9 review.

If I have the opportunity to get the f/1.4, I will probably buy it, but to date, I have not seen one for sale.

Steve

BTW...If I remember correctly, the standard kit lens on the TLS was a Rikenon 50/2.8. Both the f/1.7 and f/1.4 were optional upgrades with the f/1.7 giving the most bang for the buck.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2008 at 06:11 PM.
07-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
Would brand new sigma and tokina lenses be allowed?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, aka, aperture, bokeh, club, colors, copy, cosina, fall, flare, flickr, focus, heart, lens, lenses, link, m-42, macro, off-brand, pentax lens, photos, post, promaster, ps, sears, sears 135mm, soligor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA* Club MCR Lens Clubs 5016 10 Hours Ago 12:45 PM
The A Club jake.astig Lens Clubs 2938 08-08-2018 07:44 AM
D-FA WR Club Rico Lens Clubs 595 08-08-2018 04:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: For collectors--Brand New K1000 and Brand New M 50mm f1.7 artistcjconrad Sold Items 12 08-28-2009 10:28 AM
For Sale - Sold: Brand New Pentax Brand m42 to k mount converter Free shipping! GatorPentax Sold Items 1 10-28-2008 08:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top