Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #1771

Hi, I get my Helios 44m-7 few days ago.
There are white specks on the lens inner wall.According to seller, this is common issue in soviet old lens, not fungus.
Due to uneven coating on lens wall, bubble may trapped on the surface. Seller claimed it just some air between side blacking coating and glass.
Does anyone having the similar issue here?

Attached Images

02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #1772

The bokeh of this lens is very attractive to me.

I am interested in investing in a Helios 44-2. I've done research and there seems to be many versions of the same lens? What should I look out for when I'm buying the lens?

Sorry for the silly questions but thank you for the help.
02-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #1773
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lino Quote
Hi, I get my Helios 44m-7 few days ago.
There are white specks on the lens inner wall.According to seller, this is common issue in soviet old lens, not fungus.
Due to uneven coating on lens wall, bubble may trapped on the surface. Seller claimed it just some air between side blacking coating and glass.
Does anyone having the similar issue here?
Yes, it's nothing.

QuoteOriginally posted by iceshiel Quote
The bokeh of this lens is very attractive to me.

I am interested in investing in a Helios 44-2. I've done research and there seems to be many versions of the same lens? What should I look out for when I'm buying the lens?

Sorry for the silly questions but thank you for the help.
As long as it doesn't look like this:

It's good to go. I hope you're aware that you will need an M42 to K adapter, maybe even an M39 to M42 and then an M42 to K.
02-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #1774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What to look for in Russian lens.

Most of these lenses seem to be available from Russian, Ukranian, etc., suppliers, and about all you can do is to look at their eBay customer satisfaction ratings. It might also be a good idea to ask a few questions, at least to let them know you are serious about quality issues, and assure yourself that the lens is returnable if not satisfactory. Mostly, though, on a lens coming from overseas, given the cost of shipping, you are stuck with what comes in the box.

If you can find one of the lens in a shop for inspection, of course, the matter is completely different. You can examine it in detail, preferably on the camera where you expect to install it with the appropriate adapter ring. Then of course you look for all the usual things: image quality, focus, dust, mold, scratches on the glass, and general appearance. Lots of these lenses are stiff when you turn the focussing ring, and while inconvenient, stiff focussing in my view is not necessarily a disqualification.

With my lens, the Helios 44k-4 58mm, I was fortunate to receive a nice copy, and lucky to find one in K mount so I do not have to use the adjuster ring. If the copy you are looking at is screw mount, as most are, be sure you have the correct adapter for K mount.

With the value index these lenses offer, and their low selling price, I think it is acceptable to take a chance. That was my approach, and I came out great. The overall appearance of these lenses is tough, a little crude in production quality, but capable of taking a beating and still holding up okay. That is the perception you get looking at the lenses. The reality, of course, may be a little different!

Good luck to you in the adventure!

Last edited by ivanvernon; 02-05-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: premature accidental posting
02-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #1775

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Yes, it's nothing.

It's good to go. I hope you're aware that you will need an M42 to K adapter, maybe even an M39 to M42 and then an M42 to K.
Thanks for reply.. so it's not fungus, right?
will this affect IQ?
thanks
02-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #1776
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lino Quote
Thanks for reply.. so it's not fungus, right?
will this affect IQ?
thanks
I said it's nothing. All Russian glass is like that. Now go get out and take pictures with it.
If you don't believe me read this.
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #1777

Thank you for the advice my friends.

Is there any noticeable difference in quality between 70's lenses and the later 80s lenses?

I spoted a 1978 helios 44-2 MMZ made by LOMO, and many other 70s lenses but they seem to cost higher. Any reason for that? Greater collector value?

02-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1778
Inactive Account

No, no picture by a soviet lens, but of one. (Please excuse the utterly miserable cell phone picture).

Some time ago I happened to get an old Kiev 4 (the story of which will be told in the link under the picture. Text is in german, so google translate might perhaps help). Last sunday I put film into it for the very first time, today I got the scans back.

I solemnly promise to share them here - during the next days. :-)
02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1779

I said it's nothing. All Russian glass is like that. Now go get out and take pictures with it.
If you don't believe me read this.
Thanks! i'm new to photo world, just wanna make sure of it....
02-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1780
Inactive Account

Yesterday I promised pictures from my soviet camera copy. Here they are:

(Picture links to gallery.)

Kiev 4, Agfa Vista 200

What looks like a light leak probably is not: When winding back, I had ripped the film out of the cartridge. What looks like self timer shutter release ist not, instead it is the lever to engage the rewinding knob. Pressing the rewinding knob alone will do exactly nothing...
I then improvised a bit and turned a bathroom into a darkroom by covering the ventilation with a jacket. Seemed dark to me, but one or two pictures got some light nonetheless.
Next time will be better.
02-06-2013, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #1781
Veteran Member

Nothing is wrong with that version. Even filing down little bit on the back end is very simple and easy. I've done it numerous times.

Projector lens.

Zodiak-8 on Pentax Kx
Love on how close you can focus with this lens.

Most of my Soviet lenses (not all). Own about 75 or so.
Zenitar-K2 16mm (de-fished).

Last edited by fiveseven; 02-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.
02-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #1782
Inactive Account

Cross-postimg from the film shots thread.

Next roll with the Kiev-4, this time with cheap supermarket film (probably rebranded fujicolor 200). Time was something around 1/25 or longer. Note to myself: need steadier hand.

Picture links to gallery.
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #1783

Helios 44M-4 58mm/Pentax k-x

The beautiful cavalier Chester agreed to pose for me when we went for a walk on the beach - in the cold and snowy weather in the northern part of Jutland in Denmark
02-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #1784
Veteran Member

^
Very nice.

Helios 44K (unusual unmarked lens I recently acquire).

Industar 50-2

Last edited by fiveseven; 02-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
02-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #1785

Industar 50 3.5

I borrowed this silver bodied lens from a Zorki rangefinder and tried it out with an M39 adapter on my NEX-5N.
I was surprised how shallow DOF remained at f3.5 and quickly discovered how badly I will need a hood to prevent flare.
At f8 and f11 the colours were amazing and I had nothing to complain about in the sharpness department.
After I find or make a lens hood I will use this lens a lot.