Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #3016
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
I couldnt use it for the things I had in mind.. maybe I have a faulty copy?

Here is a photo with the lens focused to infinity:

and here is a photo close-up, wise open, with the nice bokeh
I do not know what could be the problem @f/16, diffraction maybe. Unfortunately, your pictures are not visible for some reason.

03-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #3017
Veteran Member

Jupiter 9 @ f2, flare is very easily avoided with a hood/hand but the photo was kind of bland without it
03-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #3018
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
I do not know what could be the problem @f/16, diffraction maybe. Unfortunately, your pictures are not visible for some reason.
for some reason it doesnt let me attach images thru flickr, but if you right click the image icon and go to view full image or something similar, it should pop up.
03-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #3019
Veteran Member

for some reason it doesnt let me attach images thru flickr, but if you right click the image icon and go to view full image or something similar, it should pop up.
Well, it does not look like diffraction issue for me. I have just one question to rule it out. Is it equally blurry at infinity at other f values?

Now about other possibilities.

Are you using a flanged adapter like this one?

Does the screws on the lens seem as it has been opened before, maybe the focusing helicoid was not assembled the right way?

03-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #3020
Veteran Member

Well, it does not look like diffraction issue for me. I have just one question to rule it out. Is it equally blurry at infinity at other f values?

Now about other possibilities.

Are you using a flanged adapter like this one?

Does the screws on the lens seem as it has been opened before, maybe the focusing helicoid was not assembled the right way?
It's equally blurry at other f-stops, and actually even more blurry at the others. I've used my M42 adapter with Takumars (what I usually shoot with) and they have no problem with focusing to infinity and producing tack-sharp images. I feel like something is wrong on the inside...I suspect the lens may have been opened, and even though it can't shoot far away, the bokeh and sharpness for close-up photos and portraits make it worth to save the lens.
03-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #3021
Veteran Member

It's equally blurry at other f-stops, and actually even more blurry at the others. I've used my M42 adapter with Takumars (what I usually shoot with) and they have no problem with focusing to infinity and producing tack-sharp images. I feel like something is wrong on the inside...I suspect the lens may have been opened, and even though it can't shoot far away, the bokeh and sharpness for close-up photos and portraits make it worth to save the lens.
Can you attach a picture of the lens set up to infinity from the outside so that the infinity sign is visible. Also, sometimes people unscrew the whole lens group and insert a small spacer to use it as a macro lens.

All symptoms indicate that it was not assembled well.

You can see this
to learn about your lens internals. I would not encourage you to disassemble the lens yourself as the screws are prone to breaking if the appropriate tools are not used.
03-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #3022
Veteran Member

Another thing I forgot to mention is that even though the aperture ring shows f16, it's actually f2....it's reversed...which makes me think someone has messed with the lens. Unless the factory made this one like that and let it pass quality control, which isn't that hard to believe during those times....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-G900A  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-G900A  Photo 
03-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #3023
k22
Site Supporter

Another thing I forgot to mention is that even though the aperture ring shows f16, it's actually f2....it's reversed...which makes me think someone has messed with the lens. Unless the factory made this one like that and let it pass quality control, which isn't that hard to believe during those times....
It's a preset lens with two controls - one that clicks (at the very front) and one that doesn't. They both work to control the aperture. The one that doesn't click can be used to open the lens for more light when focussing, then closed to take the shot at the correct stop. The one that clicks can be very hard to turn and it may not be apparent that it moves. On my copy, I had to work it quite a bit to get it to free up. Are you using the lens with a flanged or a non-flanged adapter?

Last edited by k22; 03-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.
03-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #3024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k22 Quote
It's a preset lens with two controls - one that clicks (at the very front) and one that doesn't. They both work to control the aperture. The one that doesn't click can be used to open the lens for more light when focussing, then closed to take the shot at the correct stop. The one that clicks can be very hard to turn and it may not be apparent that it moves. On my copy, I had to work it quite a bit to get it to free up. Are you using the lens with a flanged or a non-flanged adapter?
I'm using it with a normal infinity adapter, non-flanged. Now I see that it is the preset version, but my problem was that even stopped down to f16, still doesn't take sharp pictures at inf...
03-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #3025
Veteran Member

So, are you 100% sure that the lens was truly stopped down to f 16 or was the preset ring simply set to f 16? Don't want to step on your toes or anything but I've also gone round with my Super Tak 28/3,5 on 'A' and shot wide open all day long
03-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #3026
k22
Site Supporter

I'm using it with a normal infinity adapter, non-flanged. Now I see that it is the preset version, but my problem was that even stopped down to f16, still doesn't take sharp pictures at inf...
Are you getting focus confirmation at infinity?
03-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #3027
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
So, are you 100% sure that the lens was truly stopped down to f 16 or was the preset ring simply set to f 16? Don't want to step on your toes or anything but I've also gone round with my Super Tak 28/3,5 on 'A' and shot wide open all day long
ill give it another try tomorrow, but I'm 99.9% sure it was stopped down to f16, because when I opened the aperture, it got even more blurry
03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #3028
k22
Site Supporter

ill give it another try tomorrow, but I'm 99.9% sure it was stopped down to f16, because when I opened the aperture, it got even more blurry
With it wide open, see if you get focus confirmation at inf.
03-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #3029
Veteran Member

Now seeing the pictures of the lens, I am pretty certain that you are actually focusing beyond infinity. I did not know this was possible at all with this one but someone has modified the lens to do exactly that. A Nikon user, perhaps. Can you test this?

The inverse aperture thingy is quite common. About half of them come like that. It is just an assembly process gone wrong.

Last edited by Audi 5 cyl; 03-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.
03-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #3030
Veteran Member

Now seeing the pictures of the lens, I am pretty certain that you are actually focusing beyond infinity. I did not know this was possible at all with this one but someone has modified the lens to do exactly that. A Nikon user, perhaps. Can you test this?

The inverse aperture thingy is quite common. About half of them come like that. It is just an assembly process gone wrong.
I bought the lens paired with an old Zenit-E film body, which originally came with the lens. Supposedly the lens was only used for film but who knows?