Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #3256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Drat and blast it...should never have looked at this thread.
Now I've only gone and bought a Helios 44-2 straight from sunny Ukraine, purely on the basis of a glowing description on fleabay.
Thankfully for about the same price as a new film on DVD, so I'm not out much if it turns out to be a lemon.
Looking forward to having a play with it though. Should be fun.
There is a Ukrainian seller who does especially good descriptions. They do seem like they could be accurate, as somebody who doesn't know much about lenses is often recognizable. The descriptions are also a bit enthusiastic or creative...so one might also worry about exaggeration. However, that seller has pretty high Feedback scores, does he not? I might have ordered a Helios from there, if I hadn't found one in equally sunny Texas.

10-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #3257
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was lucky enough to find mine on eBay also, but out of Toronto...
10-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #3258
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
There is a Ukrainian seller who does especially good descriptions. They do seem like they could be accurate, as somebody who doesn't know much about lenses is often recognizable. The descriptions are also a bit enthusiastic or creative...so one might also worry about exaggeration. However, that seller has pretty high Feedback scores, does he not? I might have ordered a Helios from there, if I hadn't found one in equally sunny Texas.
He sells a lot of USSR lenses. It appears he collects them locally and either seeks out the better ones or cleans them up - there must be thousands around the ex-USSR region.

He does have a lot of good feedback and he also clearly stated 'clean and clear optics' in the description, so if he's being severely over-optimistic I have some protection. I don't expect too much from a 30 year old lens and actually would like some individual character...as long as it is usable I'm happy.

There is also a UK seller who seems to visit the region with the express purpose of collecting as many Helios lenses as he can to bring them back, service them and resell them. However, his lenses come with at least a 100% premium.
10-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #3259
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with KMZ MC Helios-44K-4

10-09-2016, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #3260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

up in the oaks...Industar 50-2
10-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #3261
Veteran Member

My Helios 44-2 has arrived - 4 days to cross Europe is pretty startling for a start but, even more happily, it's almost perfect! One or two specks of dust, not a hint of fungus, everything moves smoothly.
It did take me about 5 minutes to work out what on earth was going on with the aperture mechanism...very weird. But it's on my K-3II and working fine.

Now then...I have a job interview in the morning, I really should be preparing....or have I prepared enough already....maybe some shooting would be a helpful distraction...oh man! I love how a new lens sparks the creativity, but it couldn't be worse timing!
10-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #3262
Veteran Member

He does have a lot of good feedback and he also clearly stated 'clean and clear optics' in the description, so if he's being severely over-optimistic I have some protection. I don't expect too much from a 30 year old lens and actually would like some individual character...as long as it is usable I'm happy.
30 year old?? Many Helios variants are much older than just 30!
It did take me about 5 minutes to work out what on earth was going on with the aperture mechanism...very weird. But it's on my K-3II and working fine.
Yep, one ring lets you choose a setting, and the other ring actually moves the blades up to that setting. This is so you can choose the setting, then you use wide open aperture to focus, and then you don't need to take away your eyes from the viewfinder as you stop down to your chosen setting. Just use Av mode and the camera will automatically adjust the meter within a second if you stopping down.

Have fun with your new lens

10-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #3263
Veteran Member

I see! I first wondered why the aperture didn't close when I clicked the ring round...then I worked out the other ring...never worked out the purpose behind it, thanks for explaining that. Actually a pretty clever idea, now I get it.
I'm going to use the excuse of 'going out for milk' - if I accidentally stop for photos on the way it can't be helped.
10-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #3264
Veteran Member

Telemegor User

Hello to the club! I like to "join" even though I own only one which is my Hugo Meyer Gorlitz Telemegor 400 mm f5.5. I have another which is a zebra stripe Spiratone and have no idea where it was built. Also have an old 35 mm f2.8 that has the smallest diameter I have ever seen for a full frame lens. It is actually a T mount lens and the 42 mm of the threads is within 3 - 4 mm of the diameter of the whole lens. Push on caps and the T-mount conveter to K mount is larger in diameter than the lens. I really like the results from my 400 mm plus I have a copy that did get multicoated at the Photo Arensal before I bought it. I have owned it about 17 years now. My copy seems to be somewhat brighter wide open than 5.6, more like it is 4.5 to 5. I usually have to stop it down significantly in bright sunshine into the 16 to 32 range. I hope I can find the photos I took with this lens when using film for there are some spectacular images of the Tetons and Grand Teton along with ones of the Crazy Horse monument back in 2000 but right now I seem to have misplaced them in my folders on my hard drives. I have repeatedly used this lens with Teleconverters behind it and seen very good results up to 2X and usable results with 3X back in my film days. Today it gets a 1.5X TC behind it on my K-5 or K10D sometimes since PP crop is so useful. I wish I owned one of the more outstanding appearing lenses from these manufacturers but now I am budget limited. I think I my list of gear is available on here. Hope I can join!
10-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #3265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Also have an old 35 mm f2.8 that has the smallest diameter I have ever seen for a full frame lens
What lens would that be? Would surely look nice alongside an industar 50-2
10-12-2016, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #3266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
What lens would that be? Would surely look nice alongside an industar 50-2
It's a thread mount Soligor. Takes the nicest scenery pictures. I will have to post a pic of the lens and a few shots taken with it.
10-13-2016, 06:09 AM - 4 Likes   #3267
Veteran Member

Well...I've been out into the garden and taken a few shots and I'm already in love with this lens! Focusing is a challenge wide open, what with the long throw and narrow DoF, but it's very rewarding. Going to enjoy this lens!

Image: Some kind of flowers in the garden, shot on K-3II w/ Helios 44-2 @f/2, PP in Lightroom for exposure and a little contrast.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-13-2016, 06:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3268
Veteran Member

Same lens, this time with a touch more 'creative' PP using Nik Color Efex Pro 4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-13-2016, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #3269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 77-M, extension tubes and a very cooperative bumblebee

This was sheer luck as the bumblebee was so intent on the pollen that it didn't mind being almost touched by the lens. Does show just how sharp the 77m is.

10-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #3270
Veteran Member

Out of interest, has anyone had trouble with aperture blades reflecting when stopping the Helios 44k-4 down?

My aperture blades are kinda silvery/light gunmetal colour and they always appear to reflect the coating creating a purple tint in places in the image.
I totally forgot about this and now really do have a reason to get another helios. damnit!

Edit, just saw this on my hdd and thought I'd share it. I believe I haven't done so yet!

Love the glow you can achieve with the helios :3

Last edited by Topsy; 10-13-2016 at 09:13 AM.