Storm Lantern in the "chaufferie", natural window light

Hi,
a black and white shot from this evening,
Pentax K70 Helios 44M-7 f4
Cross post with "black and white" thread

05-03-2019, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #3752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About M42 adapter rings (my contribution)

1st picture : ring from China

avoid absolutely, dangerous for the lens screw thread, metal filins, no infinity focus
but can troubleshoot and is cheap (less than 4 €)

(remove the stopper)

2nd pic : ring from China

Good solution, cheap (less than 5 or 6 €) , but no infinity focus, convenient (can stay on the lens)

3rd pic : Kipon adapter from Germany (or China)
Good adapter ring, a little too tight, flange suitable for russian lenses or with aperture tab on the back.
Infinity focus

A little expensive (about 30 €)
Not sure if it is strong nor good for the lens m42 screw threads (not bad though)

4th pic : Pentax ring from Philippines
The best one (but no flange)
Infinity focus
easy to remove
well machined (best lens screwing)

a little too loose (but doesn't move when lens is on)
seems to be strong
A little expensive (between 20 and 50 €, I had it for 22 €)
05-23-2019, 12:18 PM - 2 Likes   #3753
Veteran Member

these are not taken with a Soviet lens but ...

Just because I miss my Jupiter 9 and Zenitar 16 (M42) coming soon from Moscow ... Matryoshka dolls
taken with a Sigma 24mm and K70

05-29-2019, 08:58 AM - 3 Likes   #3754
Veteran Member

Solf portrait taken with my KX, Helios 44K-4 at maximum aperture and minimum focusing distance.

Film is lucky100.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
06-27-2019, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3755
Veteran Member

Heat wave on France

New old toys arrived at destination ... from Litkarino (LZOS) and Krasnogorsk (KMZ) –Russia

Jupiter 9 85mm F2 M42 mount

Zenitar 16mm F2.8 M42 mount (+ coloured filters)

All two in excellent condition (for a very affordable price).

Optics and manufacturing almost perfect

Two opposite photography tools, but the same charm.

- 16mm is astonishing as a sharpness point of view, for a wide angle (and taking into account the integrated filter), its geometry is very easy to correctin Darktable (if needed or not).

- 85mm (preset ring,12 strips) needs to be tamed like a mustang horse, but promises extraordinary singular bokehs.

Okay .., I know I am already in love, in the same vein as the Helios 44M7 58mm f2, the Takumar 50mm F4 macro preset or the Sigma 24mm Super Wide II macro. So much to discover ... but my quiver is getting more and more consistent, even if I jumped to Full Frame

Love Pentax versatility,keep on doing like that PENTAX RICOH !!
06-29-2019, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #3756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those look like beautiful copies!

Alas, every time I have followed those lenses on the auction site, they have zoomed out of my price range either early on or by the last few minutes. But now I have other lenses in those focal lengths/angles of view.

QuoteOriginally posted by the scout Quote
New old toys arrived at destination ... from Litkarino (LZOS) and Krasnogorsk (KMZ) –Russia

Jupiter 9 85mm F2 M42 mount

Zenitar 16mm F2.8 M42 mount (+ coloured filters)

All two in excellent condition (for a very affordable price).

Optics and manufacturing almost perfect

Two opposite photography tools, but the same charm.

- 16mm is astonishing as a sharpness point of view, for a wide angle (and taking into account the integrated filter), its geometry is very easy to correctin Darktable (if needed or not).

- 85mm (preset ring,12 strips) needs to be tamed like a mustang horse, but promises extraordinary singular bokehs.

Okay .., I know I am already in love, in the same vein as the Helios 44M7 58mm f2, the Takumar 50mm F4 macro preset or the Sigma 24mm Super Wide II macro. So much to discover ... but my quiver is getting more and more consistent, even if I jumped to Full Frame

Love Pentax versatility,keep on doing like that PENTAX RICOH !!
06-29-2019, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #3757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Those look like beautiful copies!

Alas, every time I have followed those lenses on the auction site, they have zoomed out of my price range either early on or by the last few minutes. But now I have other lenses in those focal lengths/angles of view.
Thanks a lot goatsNdonkey !

if it is any consolation, I narrowly missed a perfect Mir-20m firtsly included in the sale ! but that will happen another time ...

The most impressive is to see the price of old wide angle Pentax lenses (Takumar, "_a", or "_m") on the bay, this is huge, almost impossible to make a good deal

06-29-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #3758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the scout Quote
Thanks a lot goatsNdonkey !

if it is any consolation, I narrowly missed a perfect Mir-20m firtsly included in the sale ! but that will happen another time ...

The most impressive is to see the price of old wide angle Pentax lenses (Takumar, "_a", or "_m") on the bay, this is huge, almost impossible to make a good deal
I can't complain too much about my Soviet lens/camera buying addiction today, however. This morning I snagged a fixed-lens Smena 8M camera for one USD, plus postage! From what I have read online, it ought to be able to take a pretty darned good picture for a mostly plastic camera, too good of a picture to call it a toy. Looking forward to its arrival soon.
06-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #3759
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I can't complain too much about my Soviet lens/camera buying addiction today, however. This morning I snagged a fixed-lens Smena 8M camera for one USD, plus postage! From what I have read online, it ought to be able to take a pretty darned good picture for a mostly plastic camera, too good of a picture to call it a toy. Looking forward to its arrival soon.
I had a look on flickr about this Smena 8M, it looks great, image quality is very nice, and for lomography it's perfect ... very good acquisition, and for this price
07-09-2019, 08:07 PM - 8 Likes   #3760
Pentaxian

Some at the dog park with a Jupiter 8 (50mm f/2 rangefinder lens). It's darn good for a ~$35 lens.

07-13-2019, 03:53 PM - 8 Likes   #3761
Pentaxian

I brought the Helios 40 to the park this morning. It's pretty terrible for a ~$350 lens, but even though I bought mine before Zenit resumed production and brought down prices of the old copies a little, I don't regret it. There's no other lens that renders the way it does, and I like it, no matter how hard it is to use.

08-15-2019, 07:06 PM - 11 Likes   #3762
Veteran Member

I think it's my final or end stage Soviet lens collection.
I think I'm done, but I have thought that before.
There's quite a few odd balls here, like cinema lenses or a few projectors.

My cameras with Soviet lenses.
08-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #3763
Pentaxian

I'm in awe!!

But...
QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
I think I'm done
That is not a true statement, ever.
08-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #3764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'm in awe!!

But...

That is not a true statement, ever.
I've been down this road a few times....... As things progress, I begin to appreciate excellent glass more so then "collectible" aspect of it.
While most of Soviet or Russian glass is very good and many are simply outstanding in camera lens world, there are a few that are not as impressive (not many though) and I didn't acquire them.
The reason I think I'm done is I have all my needs/wants covered for the most part, from wide angle to telephoto and everything in between. Prior I did not collect rangefinder lenses but ever since getting in to mirror-less I acquired quite a few. I think I need to start shooting more rather then collecting......... and by that I have more glass then time on my hands.

Last edited by fiveseven; 08-16-2019 at 06:26 PM.
08-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #3765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
I think it's my final or end stage Soviet lens collection.
I think I'm done, but I have thought that before.
There's quite a few odd balls here, like cinema lenses or a few projectors.
I'm saving this post, bookmarking it, for when the wife makes her monthly snarly comments about my "many" toys...