Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #4051
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well at least no one has said 'that shot is pants'

Thank you for the additional info scratchpaddy.

I also got a Mi-1 in my haul so I'm going to give that one a try when the clouds ease off a bit.

The Industar 50 that accompanied it has a stiff focusing mechanism so I'll need to take a look at it. Tiny little thing.

06-10-2021, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #4052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jupiter 11 again. Cropped and sharpened close to typical JPG conversion sharpening. Perhaps some luminance on the yellow would have helped it pop or some sunshine hitting it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 

Last edited by moggi1964; 06-10-2021 at 08:53 AM.
06-10-2021, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #4053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
^^^^^
Nice work on the second version (third image).
06-11-2021, 03:57 AM   #4054
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I always go for the silver versions. They just look so cool! The Zenit M39 mount was built 0.2mm closer to the film plane than M42, so the lens will fall very slightly short of infinity focus. Stopping down is enough to make it unnoticeable.

Of course, this is only if you got an SLR version! You probably know what you're doing, but in case someone is reading this who doesn't know, the same M39 thread was more commonly used for rangefinders, where it was known as Leica Thread Mount (LTM) . A handful of lenses (Jupiter 11 is one of them) are available in both the Zenit M39 and LTM versions. The LTM versions are noticeably longer to account for the dramatically shorter mount. They will physically attach to an SLR camera, but will function like they're on an extension tube, with only very close focus possible.
Just to add, I have K&F M39 to M4/3 adapter on the way so I'll be interested to see how that performs. Would certainly make life simpler. I'll let you know.

06-11-2021, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #4055
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moggi1964 Quote
Just to add, I have K&F M39 to M4/3 adapter on the way so I'll be interested to see how that performs. Would certainly make life simpler. I'll let you know.
I have a very nice silver version of the Mir 1 with a 39mm thread mount made in 1962. It won't focus to infinity. There's a video on YouTube about how to correct this. The procedure doesn't look difficult, but I'm reluctant to alter the lens except as a last resort. I have some helicoids coming for another project and I'm hoping using one of them, one's a 12-17mm and the other a 12-19mm, I might get the infinity focus and maybe even closer focusing.
06-12-2021, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #4056
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I have a very nice silver version of the Mir 1 with a 39mm thread mount made in 1962. It won't focus to infinity. There's a video on YouTube about how to correct this. The procedure doesn't look difficult, but I'm reluctant to alter the lens except as a last resort. I have some helicoids coming for another project and I'm hoping using one of them, one's a 12-17mm and the other a 12-19mm, I might get the infinity focus and maybe even closer focusing.
The problem with infinity focus is that you need the lens to be closer to the body than what it currently is. It's difficult that an additional helicoid will do that. However as it acts as a variable extension tube it will certainly allow you closer MFD.
Of course it all depends on what kind of body are you attaching the lens to. If the standard register distance (back of the lens to the "film") of the lens you want to mount is bigger than the standard register distance for your camera body then it's a matter of finding or making the right adapter. Otherwise you will need a lens equipped adapter, if it exists at all.
I am right now working on a 3D printed adapter for a Meyer Optik Goerlitz Primagon with Exakta mount (44.7mm register distance) to a Canon (gasp!) body (44.0mm register distance). Of course, this kind of adaptations have no guarantees of working, as for some lenses, the back of it just hit the mirror (in mirror-equipped bodies) but that's just part of the fun.

This is a good reference for register distances of the many mounts around us... Camera Mounts Sorted by Register
06-13-2021, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #4057
Pentaxian

After years of thinking about it, I finally ordered a Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 from a seller in Voronezh about 3 weeks ago. It arrived in Phoenix only a week later, and then the postal service sent it to Los Angeles... and then to Denver... I don't know what was going on there, but it finally came back to Phoenix and took the final step to my mailbox yesterday.

You can probably guess where I went to try it out for the first time.

I got a cheaper Kiev-mount version, since I already had the adapter from the Helios 103. As a telephoto lens, the Jupiter 9 has its own focusing mechanism and uses the mount's external bayonet. What I did not realize is that there's still an internal bayonet in the lens which engages with the helicoid used for 50mm lenses. I assume this is to maintain rangefinder coupling, but it means focusing the lens through the resistance of two helicoids. Since I'm not using a rangefinder, I think the lens would still work with the inner helicoid barrel of the mount removed, so I'll try that next time.

I haven't decided if I like it or not yet. I'll have to try it out some more.

06-13-2021, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #4058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghpicard Quote
The problem with infinity focus is that you need the lens to be closer to the body than what it currently is. It's difficult that an additional helicoid will do that. However as it acts as a variable extension tube it will certainly allow you closer MFD.
Of course it all depends on what kind of body are you attaching the lens to. If the standard register distance (back of the lens to the "film") of the lens you want to mount is bigger than the standard register distance for your camera body then it's a matter of finding or making the right adapter. Otherwise you will need a lens equipped adapter, if it exists at all.
I am right now working on a 3D printed adapter for a Meyer Optik Goerlitz Primagon with Exakta mount (44.7mm register distance) to a Canon (gasp!) body (44.0mm register distance). Of course, this kind of adaptations have no guarantees of working, as for some lenses, the back of it just hit the mirror (in mirror-equipped bodies) but that's just part of the fun.

This is a good reference for register distances of the many mounts around us... Camera Mounts Sorted by Register
Thank you for your comment. It did occur to me after I posted my comment that I wouldn't be able to get infinity focus by using an additional helicoid. This is the video that explains how to make changes to the lens in order to do so. It looks pretty straightforward.
You might also be interested in what this man is doing with lenses from old fixed lens cameras and his 3d printer. vintageglas on Etsy I'm waiting for a 50mm f2.8 Tessar from a Zeiss Ikon Contessa LK with a printed m42 mount that I ordered from him. I have two Tessars from Jena which are common, but I haven't seen any from Stuttgart. I'm curious to see if the glass used might make a difference in rendering. Thirty-five or forty years ago I had a Contessa LK and the lens in that camera impressed me as being special.
06-15-2021, 03:12 AM   #4059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Zenitar 50mm f/1.7... I'm not sure how I feel about this lens. From a technical perspective, it's much better than the German designs from the '20's and '30's that the Soviets based much of their lenses on. It also lacks those lenses' vintage character.

Introduced in the late-70's with a modern double-gauss design, it falls into a very crowded category of excellent, affordable nifty-fifties with names like Zuiko, Takumar, or Rokkor, with little to distinguish it beyond ineffective coatings and miserable build quality. It's not a bad lens at all. It's just that its competitors are so good.

Still... it's a fun lens to use once in a while.

The lens formula is very similar to the Takumar 55mm f/1.8. Sharpness is about the same (both excellent), but the Zenitar's rendering is a little grittier. Contrast is less, and flare makes colors vary wildly depending on how light is hitting the lens, sometimes red, sometimes blue, sometimes both at once.

Very good appraisal. Maybe you should put something in the lens reviews?
06-16-2021, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #4060
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thistles are terrible plants, but the blooms go through quite a range of appearance.

Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 @ f4.0
06-18-2021, 02:40 AM   #4061
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moggi1964 Quote
It arrived and as always it is well made.

Of course, being so slim it means I still need to add a single extension tube to get the full range of focus but I prefer that to the skinny M39 to M42 ring attached to an M42 to M4/3 adapter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G975F  Photo 
06-18-2021, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
Thank you for your comment. It did occur to me after I posted my comment that I wouldn't be able to get infinity focus by using an additional helicoid. This is the video that explains how to make changes to the lens in order to do so. It looks pretty straightforward.
MIR-1 2.8/37mm focusing tricks. Explained. - YouTube You might also be interested in what this man is doing with lenses from old fixed lens cameras and his 3d printer. vintageglas on Etsy I'm waiting for a 50mm f2.8 Tessar from a Zeiss Ikon Contessa LK with a printed m42 mount that I ordered from him. I have two Tessars from Jena which are common, but I haven't seen any from Stuttgart. I'm curious to see if the glass used might make a difference in rendering. Thirty-five or forty years ago I had a Contessa LK and the lens in that camera impressed me as being special.
I got a Mir-1 lens but the focusing ring is a bit stiff so I'll need to do some surgery.

I just took apart an Industar 50 and cleaned it top to bottom and the helicoid grease was not very 'grease' like, more stiff and chunky! Damn this lens is tiny and what a lovely shutter blade mechanism. So simple.

I'm hoping the Mir will be as easy to work on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G975F  Photo 
06-18-2021, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #4063
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
Thistles are terrible plants, but the blooms go through quite a range of appearance.

Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0 @ f4.0
Beautiful oof there!
06-18-2021, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #4064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few more with the K30 and Industar 50-2. It's a fun little lens.

06-18-2021, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #4065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djb47 Quote
A few more with the K30 and Industar 50-2. It's a fun little lens.

Very creative with the light bulb. Well done!