Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #991
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
AND I got a FED, in the same parcel!
So when are we going to start seeing those FED pictures? Am I safe to assume that it came with the ubiquitous Industar 26?

Steve

01-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #992
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Helios 44M (f=4 (?), bounced flash (? = turns out the aperture was still acting up, qtipped some more, apparently the first operation still left too much grease behind ... maybe I should have used lighter fluid instead of that rubbing alcohol that was handy :-) [edit: added a snap of the lens itself]

Last edited by jolepp; 03-03-2017 at 02:41 AM.
01-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #993
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Presenting a question

Not too long ago I purchased a Voigtlander Bessa R with the intention of having a camera I could purchase and use Russian made M39 lenses on.
Browsing through this thread I see that many of you are using these lenses on the Pentax DSLR's.

My question is what adapters are you using to mount M39 lenses, and what potential problems are there?

I would love to use them on my *ist DL or better yet my K10d!
01-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #994
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Not too long ago I purchased a Voigtlander Bessa R with the intention of having a camera I could purchase and use Russian made M39 lenses on.
Browsing through this thread I see that many of you are using these lenses on the Pentax DSLR's.

My question is what adapters are you using to mount M39 lenses, and what potential problems are there?

I would love to use them on my *ist DL or better yet my K10d!
There are two types of FSU 39mm screw mount lenses. The first type is LTM and were designed for use on rangefinder cameras such as the Zorki, FED and your Bessa. They cannot attain infinity focus with your Pentax dSLR, though they are popular with the EVIL camera users. The second type was designed for use with early Zenit SLR cameras. The M39/Zenit many be adapted for use on the Pentax system. It is important to know which lenses you are dealing with, though the task is made somewhat easier because there is not a lot of overlap of lens names between the two systems. There are Jupiter-9 85/2 models in both mounts, but I think that may be it.

The short story is that your Bessa R lenses will not work for general shooting, though my understanding is that the Jupiter-8 in LTM makes a decent close-focus lens on an SLR!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-22-2011 at 09:30 AM.
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #995
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
yesterday I accidentally found an auction house, and with my gas money for the week, I won a mint condition Zenit TTL with its original carrying case and manual, and a mint condition helios 44-m, among other things, for $10
01-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #996
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are two types of FSU 39mm screw mount lenses. The first type is LTM and were designed for use on rangefinder cameras such as the Zorki, FED and your Bessa. They cannot attain infinity focus with your Pentax dSLR, though they are popular with the EVIL camera users. The second type was designed for use with early Zenit SLR cameras. The M39/Zenit many be adapted for use on the Pentax system. It is important to know which lenses you are dealing with, though the task is made somewhat easier because there is not a lot of overlap of lens names between the two systems. There are Jupiter-9 85/2 models in both mounts, but I think that may be it.

The short story is that your Bessa R lenses will not work for general shooting, though my understanding is that the Jupiter-8 in LTM makes a decent close-focus lens on an SLR!

Steve

Thank you Steve for answering that.

On the plus side you gave me a reason to keep my Bessa R and buy another camera / lens system.
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #997
Veteran Member

Helios 40
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/january2011/slides/KFYV8714.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/january2011/slides/KFYV8724.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/january2011/slides/KFYV8758.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]

01-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #998

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Helios 40
[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/january2011/slides/KFYV8714.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]

[IMGWIDELEFT]http://www.xjgarage.org/photos/january2011/slides/KFYV8758.JPG[/IMGWIDELEFT]
I think the first and third pictures would make a funny diptych.
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #999
Pentaxian

I cannot remember if i posted this example from my Helios 44M-7, but it really shows the sharpness of this lens, far more so than my 44-2, but the 44-2 has the more interesting bokeh.

this at f/5.6

Fuel Door
01-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #1000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
I agree, but there are several lenses for which a LTM Leica-mount as well as M42 variants exist! My Industar-61 on my FED can't be used on my dSLR's, but the M42-version I own can be used without a problem....

Just a note...
01-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1001
Veteran Member

Mike: Nice shot of the car
01-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #1002
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, this thread is over a thousand replies!!! Congrats to you all!!!
01-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #1003
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree, but there are several lenses for which a LTM Leica-mount as well as M42 variants exist! My Industar-61 on my FED can't be used on my dSLR's, but the M42-version I own can be used without a problem....

Just a note...
Thank for the correction Rense. It occurred to me after I did the post that there are several Industar lenses that were made in both mounts. The Industar-61 is one of the best known and more highly regarded examples. So the best advice is to be sure of the mount before buying. Fortunately, most SLR lenses are physically larger than the rangefinder equivalents so that provides a clue.

There is also a third FSU M39 variant. Some early FED lenses are 39mm, but the thread pitch is different than LTM.

Steve

(Learning more all the time...)
01-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #1004
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ah, this thread is over a thousand replies!!! Congrats to you all!!!
Woo! Hoo! A treasure trove of FSU info and examples!

OTOH, the prices are trending up...

Steve
01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #1005
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Woo! Hoo! A treasure trove of FSU info and examples!

OTOH, the prices are trending up...

Steve
Yeah.....