Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #526
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I don't have any Russian lenses myself, but my dad recently purchased a Helios lens for his micro 4:3 collection. As luck would have it, it's M42. Seeing as I actually did the purchase for him, it came delivered to my address, so of course I had to give it a try...
Careful...the Russian glass is addictive.

Steve

05-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #527
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I just got Real Pentax M42 adapter to my K7.
Now I wonder, I have Helios 44M-6; That pin there.
Helios work nice, when pin is pressed down, nice iris movement.
I tried adapter+Helios on K7. The pin did not pressed down, iris wide open, result nice bokeh IMO. Manual settings, nothing else.
What I need to do, that so nice Helios will work on my K7 ?
What about focusing, the indicator did not worked with Helios.
Please, help me 'n see the Pictures:

05-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #528
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DonX Quote
What about focusing, the indicator did not work
The focus confirmation should work, but if your aperture is too small (F11 and smaller), it may not work. This is true for all M42 manual lenses--I don't know about K lenses.

If I want to shoot something with a very small aperture, I focus wide open for confirmation, and then select my aperture.

I don't know much about the Helios 6, I have the 2, which uses a stop-down ring.
05-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #529
Forum Member

Hello
The aperture works flawless on my hands, but in attached to K7, this happens: No aperture control, no focusing assistant symbol on K7 lit on.

Aperture 16

Aperture 2

What I need to do, to get it right ?

05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #530
Ira
Inactive Account

Hello
The aperture works flawless on my hands, but in attached to K7, this happens: No aperture control, no focusing assistant symbol on K7 lit on.

What I need to do, to get it right ?
Is the M6 an M42 mount? And does it have A and M settings? Also, if your camera has A/M on the body for autofocus, select M.

Also, on the camera, make sure you select "Use aperture ring permitted."

You will still get F-- in the display, because the camera can't read the lens's aperture, but it should definitely work using manual aperture control.
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #531
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

@DonX

As with all K-mount cameras, your K7 does not have a mechanism to depress the pin on your Helios. That is one of the issues with the Helios 44M-x series. None have the A/M switch to allow fully manual diaphragm operation with the M42 adapter.

The most common fix is to do a little minor surgery. The basic steps are to:
  1. Carefully remove the mount flange from the lens
  2. Shim the diaphragm actuator pin with a small diameter tube of some sort so that it is always "depressed"
  3. Reassemble your fully manual aperture Helios
The most commonly used flow is:
  1. Camera in Av mode
  2. Focus with lens wide open
  3. Manually stop down to desired aperture
  4. Make exposure
  5. Repeat as needed
Your focus confirm (green hexagon) should work with all M42 and manual K-mount lenses. I have no idea why it is not.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-31-2010 at 04:55 PM.
05-31-2010, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #532
Veteran Member

As what Steve said, you need to do a little modification. Here's old thread with pictures of how it is done.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57058-helios-4...onversion.html

David

06-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #533
Forum Member

Modification done, thx !
No af indication, no shake reduction, no F in camera, only --- , so no glue if af is ok and exposure settings.
I'm new user of K7, so I don't know, if I'm doing something wrong, or is my less than week old K7 broken.
Other ways I like my K7.
06-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #534
Veteran Member

The lens doesn't communicate the aperture to the camera at all, that's why it shows F---. You need to check the manual on using these old lenses.
06-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #535
Forum Member

Now, I putted 4th. time the Helios with adapter to camera:
Camera asked " what lens mm" I putted 55mm.
Now the focusing, shake reduction works ! Still wondering, is there some where, " live exposure meter" as in old film slr's ?
I have little hurry now to get "know how" to K7, cause in one week I'll go with my family to Edinburgh. Naturally K7 with me !
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #536
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now, I putted 4th. time the Helios with adapter to camera:
Camera asked " what lens mm" I putted 55mm.
Now the focusing, shake reduction works ! Still wondering, is there some where, " live exposure meter" as in old film slr's ?
I have little hurry now to get "know how" to K7, cause in one week I'll go with my family to Edinburgh. Naturally K7 with me !
Congratulations on getting the focus confirm to work. As for live metering in Av mode...You asked for it, you got it. With a fully manual aperture you don't need the green button. Follow my instructions above and you will do fine.

Steve
06-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #537
Forum Member

Jupiter 21M repair, anyone hints?

Hi all,

Just received a Jupiter 21M... cool lens! but I am in despair... the aperture mechanism seems to somehow interfere with the focusing, so that the aperture is stuck when I focus at infinity. Also, when I turn the focusing ring, I hear distinct scratching noises from inside the lens, as if some parts were rubbing eachother...

I would like to repair this baby, but I don't know were to begin dismantling... anybody experienced with this lens?

I am not afraid with mechanics and have already repaired some pentax lenses.

Thank you for any advice...

daniel
06-12-2010, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #538
Pentaxian

My little boy captured with Helios 44-2 58mm f2 wide open I think.

06-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielausparis Quote
Hi all,

Just received a Jupiter 21M... cool lens! but I am in despair... the aperture mechanism seems to somehow interfere with the focusing, so that the aperture is stuck when I focus at infinity. Also, when I turn the focusing ring, I hear distinct scratching noises from inside the lens, as if some parts were rubbing eachother...

I would like to repair this baby, but I don't know were to begin dismantling... anybody experienced with this lens?

I am not afraid with mechanics and have already repaired some pentax lenses.

Thank you for any advice...

daniel
Daniel, possibly a stuck aperture due to the oil in the blades ran dry. the dismantling IMO is pretty tricky since you have to remove a lot of stuff and separation.
06-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #540
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Daniel, possibly a stuck aperture due to the oil in the blades ran dry. the dismantling IMO is pretty tricky since you have to remove a lot of stuff and separation.
yes, and thanks, that would have been the obvious... however the aperture works fine when the lens is focusing at near distances, so that I imagine that in my case, the focusing somehow comes in the way of the aperture mechanism... I found a forum with someone reporting exactly the same problem, but no repair hints whatsoever...

The good news is that I found a (fiddly) way to arrange things so that I can set the aperture and focus to infinity. Only problem is that it takes time, but with this kind of lenses, time should not matter so much I guess

BTW, first tests with this setup show very good performance on my K-m (much, much better than my M 4/200)