Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anson Quote
What a wonder lot of photographers. The lenses help..sure...but....lenses don't take pictures by themselves...
+1 to this!

12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #1727
Forum Member

Just got myself my first prime, a Helios 44M-4, and have just performed the aperture pin surgery and tried it out a bit at home, I already love it.
Beside the fact that it makes my K-x practically see in the dark I found it very easy to focus accurately with it.

Will post some pictures after I get to take it out for a spin.

In the meantime, a couple of shots from my MC-3M-5CA 500mm taken at the Varberg rail yard. They're not that great, I'm still learning how to handle this beast

12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #1728
Forum Member

A couple of pics I took with the Helios 44M-4, adjusted levels/WB and resized.

These outdoors shots were taken at f2.0

Indoors shot at f2.8

12-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #1729
Pentaxian

Servicing a 44M ... relube needed ... any advice?

Bonjour,

Just picked up (another) thrift store 44M with good optics (for 3€) , but the focus ring sticks hard ... time for some servicing.

I have re-lubed other M42 type lenses, but not this one. Has anyone pulled apart one of these? Any DIY threads out there to be seen?

Thanks in advance for any input - Jean le Frog

12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #1730
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi. From what I can see, you can access the helicoid from the front, just like Takumar lenses. Unscrew the name ring (either using a rubber tool or some rubber on a rear cap, or using the 2 holes already drilled in the ring and a spanner). Then you'll have 3 not-so-small flat screws. Remove them so you can remove the filter ring. Now there's your helicoid, focus at minimum distance and clean with cotton swabs and lighter fluid. What Russians used was molybdenum disulfide grease, at least from what I can gather, and it will look like a total black mess. Good luck.
12-10-2012, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #1731
Veteran Member

... and a picture.
Jupiter 37A.

And another 2, from a different series.
Helios 44-2

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 12-10-2012 at 04:11 PM.
12-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #1732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing special, but these are my first shots with my newly arrived Tair 11a

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #1733
Veteran Member

MC Helios-44M
f5+

Volna K 1.8
f 2.8

around f2

Last edited by fiveseven; 12-20-2012 at 11:21 PM.
12-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #1734
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New to this club...

I just bought a MC Mir-20mm yesterday. I was a little skeptical because of the price and I've never seen the russian glass in the wild before. Just the random references here in other threads. The store I was at didn't have it priced so they just did a quick eBay search and gave it to me for $175.00 US. While the clerk was doing the eBay search I was doing a flickr search and liked what I saw so I bought it. Would anyone here be so kind as to tell me a little bit about this lens? Is this lens related at all to the helios brand I see so many references to in this thread?

Here's a pic I took with it today. Taken with my k-01 with a screw mount adaptor, then ran it through lightroom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
12-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #1735
Veteran Member

While not having owner any Mir lens, rumour has it that there are better lenses out there for the money (also smaller), Some flare and CA, also identifiable in your picture, but nothing out of this world. Hope you enjoy your time with it though. (btw, what kind of processing did you apply for this photo?)

Speaking of me, I have found my best bargain to this day: an Industar 61 L/Z, for the equivalent of $12. I'm planning to give it as a Christmas present to my girlfriend, although I will get to use it as well (I hope). Since I purchased it, I became super interested in this lens, and Soviet lenses in general. I think many of them are great, and underappreciated gems, as opposed to the much-hyped Takumars (there's internet hype about some Russian lenses too, though, but not this one).
I have managed to pull out this picture with it, I hope she'll like it

12-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #1736
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
While not having owner any Mir lens, rumour has it that there are better lenses out there for the money (also smaller), Some flare and CA, also identifiable in your picture, but nothing out of this world. Hope you enjoy your time with it though. (btw, what kind of processing did you apply for this photo?)

Speaking of me, I have found my best bargain to this day: an Industar 61 L/Z, for the equivalent of $12. I'm planning to give it as a Christmas present to my girlfriend, although I will get to use it as well (I hope). Since I purchased it, I became super interested in this lens, and Soviet lenses in general. I think many of them are great, and underappreciated gems, as opposed to the much-hyped Takumars (there's internet hype about some Russian lenses too, though, but not this one).
I have managed to pull out this picture with it, I hope she'll like it

(btw, what kind of processing did you apply for this photo?)
Just the normal stuff in Lightroom. Jacked up the contrast, a little clarity, messed with the blacks and whites and highlights(the sky was blown out to much to fix) and desaturated just because I like that look. I'm not PP expert so I just click the sliders till it looks like something I like
12-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #1737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
Just the normal stuff in Lightroom. Jacked up the contrast, a little clarity, messed with the blacks and whites and highlights(the sky was blown out to much to fix) and desaturated just because I like that look. I'm not PP expert so I just click the sliders till it looks like something I like
Well, did you use selective desaturation and then toning? Because that blue patch of flare, or whatever that is, stands out kinda weird.
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1738
Forum Member

Well, did you use selective desaturation and then toning? Because that blue patch of flare, or whatever that is, stands out kinda weird.
funny... I didn't even really notice that. I went bak to the original and the blue is really bright. I had to move the saturation slider all the way to the left which just turns it white.
12-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #1739
Veteran Member

From Tair 11a -resize only. The lens really live up to it's name

12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #1740
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Just picked up (another) thrift store 44M with good optics (for 3€) , but the focus ring sticks hard ... time for some servicing.

I have re-lubed other M42 type lenses, but not this one. Has anyone pulled apart one of these? Any DIY threads out there to be seen?

Thanks in advance for any input - Jean le Frog
Jean,
There are a couple of disassembly guides for the 44M on the Web. I have them bookmarked somewhere and will see if I can find them. As Vlad says, you can go in from the front, but if I remember correctly, a full clean/re-lube of the helicoid requires at least partial disassembly from the rear as well. At least, I think that is why I stopped short of a full re-lube on my copy.

Edit:
Found one! http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=15117

There is a better reference that addresses both lubrication and aperture service. I will keep looking...

Ok...I found the better references that I was looking for, but they have been pulled "for revision" by the blogger who originally posted them. Here is the link:

http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/140

You might want to contact the blogger to see if he is willing to share his article again.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.