Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #1741
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Speaking of me, I have found my best bargain to this day: an Industar 61 L/Z, for the equivalent of $12. I'm planning to give it as a Christmas present to my girlfriend, although I will get to use it as well (I hope). Since I purchased it, I became super interested in this lens, and Soviet lenses in general. I think many of them are great, and underappreciated gems, as opposed to the much-hyped Takumars (there's internet hype about some Russian lenses too, though, but not this one).
I have managed to pull out this picture with it, I hope she'll like it

The Industar-61 L/Z is well-respected, though not particularly popular. I think the relatively slow maximum aperture might be a factor. Might we also mention that it is mildly radioactive?

Steve

12-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #1742
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might want to contact the blogger to see if he is willing to share his article again.
Or even simpler, use Wayback Machine

The Industar-61 L/Z is well-respected, though not particularly popular. I think the relatively slow maximum aperture might be a factor. Might we also mention that it is mildly radioactive?
Thanks, Steve. Yep, the small aperture is a big sigh, because you only get to see the stars from f/5.6 to f/8, and that's a shame, because there's so much DOF at that aperture. But f/2.8 is pretty standard for a macro lens (or, at least as close to a Russian macro as you're gonna get)

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 12-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #1743
Veteran Member

Might we also mention that it is mildly radioactive?

Steve
Not from what I understand.
Lanthanum-138 is radioactive.
Lanthanum that is used in optics and other consumer products is not 138 and is not radioactive at all.
12-24-2012, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1744
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm really starting to like this MC Mir-20

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
12-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1745
Forum Member

Here's the Arsat 20mm with a Nikon PK mount adapter. I attribute a lot of the high IQ to having the K-5 in iso 80 and the lens at f8. This lens is sharpest at f8 and also very good f5.6 to f11 above or below that aren't worth messing with due to the quality drop off. The photo also was sharpened in Photoshop within the RAW settings interface and then again for the smaller sized down image. It was only sharpened in the RAW settings interface in the full res crop. It really takes the sharpening well with no graininess in iso 80. I picked this lens up off of eBay new but haven't seen it for sale on there for several years.

Crop:

12-27-2012, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #1746
Forum Member

I just picked up a Helios MC 44m-5. I have to shoot it wide open until/when I decide to do that trick to shim the pin in... but until then, I think I found my new favorite lens. 60 bucks US I paid and a used camera shop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #1747
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
I just picked up a Helios MC 44m-5. I have to shoot it wide open until/when I decide to do that trick to shim the pin in... but until then, I think I found my new favorite lens. 60 bucks US I paid and a used camera shop.
Just wanted to tell you that it's easily done, it took me less than 5 min and I have never modified a lens before. I used a piece of the rod from a cotton swab as a spacer.

12-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #1748
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOsOProject Quote
Nice pictures with the Helios. I find its best performance is wide open.
But I have to remark, though, that you have quite a budget for these Russian lenses. I don't know if I would have spent half the money for those
12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #1749
Forum Member

But I have to remark, though, that you have quite a budget for these Russian lenses. I don't know if I would have spent half the money for those
They seem to be inline with what I see them go for on eBay. Plus, recently my whole kit was stolen so I'm starting over from scratch. The way I see it is, I'm starting over for a lot cheaper then I started the last time. My first non-kit lens purchase was the DA*50-135 last time.
12-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #1750
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enemix Quote
Just wanted to tell you that it's easily done, it took me less than 5 min and I have never modified a lens before. I used a piece of the rod from a cotton swab as a spacer.
Cool. Will probably take a stab at it this weekend.
12-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #1751
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice pictures with the Helios. I find its best performance is wide open.
That is one of the design benefits of the Biotar design, consistent sharpness at all apertures. There is, however, the issue of severe falloff in resolution in the corners, but this is not an issue with APS-C cameras. Shoot the same lens on a 35mm film camera and the problem is pretty obvious.

Steve
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM - 3 Likes   #1752

My favorite soviet lens!
KMZ Zenitar-M 50 1.7

01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1753
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enemix Quote
I finally did it. Used a toothpick And you're right. Took about 5 minutes.
01-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #1754
Veteran Member

Picture from last summer, re-edited. Helios 44M.

01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #1755
Veteran Member

OK, so it's me again. Nice to see me. Here's some more Helios love.