Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #1891

I have two Helios 44-2 58mm F/2, three Helios 44-4 58mm F/2, one Jupiter 21M 200mm F4, one TAIR-3S 300mm f4.5 "Fotosnaiper" and a Volna 80mm f/2.8 medium format lens along with 4 Zenit cameras and a Kiev 60 medium format camera in my Soviet camera collection.

06-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1892
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulsubhajit Quote
I have two Helios 44-2 58mm F/2, three Helios 44-4 58mm F/2, one Jupiter 21M 200mm F4, one TAIR-3S 300mm f4.5 "Fotosnaiper" and a Volna 80mm f/2.8 medium format lens along with 4 Zenit cameras and a Kiev 60 medium format camera in my Soviet camera collection.
Great, I have several Helios 58/2's (44-2, 44M, 44M-4), a Fotosniper as well (missing stock and would love to have the case) and a couple of Zenit bodies. I would love to get my hands on a (any) Jupiter ... J

06-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #1893
Veteran Member

Hello PF gang- I recently picked up a used MIR-20M from a kijiji post for 30 bucks, but didn't think things through when inspecting the lens at purchase time. Focus was completely off, alignment of the rear body was off, focus ring stiff, etc. Glass is clean, though. So I've started very carefully disassembling the lens- determined through the process it had been taken apart before (scratches, cracked set screw heads, etc) and realized the helicoid was completely mis-aligned. I pulled the helicoid apart and cleaned/re-lubed so focus is smooth now. Problem is, I have no idea what references to use for helicoid reassembly since it was wonked to begin with!

Wondering if anybody has resources on this lens- it's the early series produced in the 70's without the small petal integrated lens hood. Ideally a tear-down sheet and/or resources on re-aligning the helicoid/focusing system.

I can post pics, but thought I'd ask around a bit first!
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1894
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I never worked on Mir lenses, but I do have a tutorial on Takumars uploaded here. It might not be 100% useful, but I think you can still find some stuff in there which can help a little.

06-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #1895
Veteran Member

Thanks mate- this lens is such a different beast than any of the takumars in it's construction and focus functionality. It's a strange beast and I'm trying to put together in my head the logic of some point of reference for alignment!

As well since the helicoid was completely mis-aligned I'm seriously in the weeds, as they say on the cooking competition shows.. ;-)
06-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #1896
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
MC Helios 44K-4, at F2.0.
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1897
Pentaxian

Hi everyone, I've been posting Helios photos over other parts of this forum for some time but never before on this thread.

I've accused my Helios 44-2 in particular of being oily, wobbling on the camera, smelling, producing THE benchmark for bad bokeh (in some situations), etc. etc. etc. And many times Jean Poitiers has reprimanded me, like a good parent to the Soviet lenses. The reality is that I also admire these lenses, passionate about their strengths.

PS..... I have minor credentials in Soviet photography.....Before the dissolution of the USSR, I visited St Petersburg (at that time Leningrad) as a commercial guest from the UK. I was arrested by police in an unmarked car, for taking photos of the famous KGB building from an opposite pavement. (It was with a Canon ). I was given an on the spot fine, a lecture in Russian which I don't speak, and released with a special ticket. When I got back to the hotel a translator told me they'd given me a speeding ticket! If only I'd bought up a load of lenses at that time, the Russians were very keen for dollars.

--------------------------

Don't have one single favourite photo from my lenses to post here, with so many favourite photos, but here is one quite recently taken, cropped and played around with (maybe too much) as is so easily done with the Helios's output. Also need to dig up those photos from Leningrad....

Last edited by utak; 06-17-2013 at 03:08 PM.
06-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #1898
Pentaxian

A recent thrift store find ... everything works, but the Helios is stiff, as usual ... J

06-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #1899

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Thanks Fiveseven for the information.

I tried with my copy of the Jupiter 9 1:2 F8.5cm, silver colour. It has a serial number 591xxxx. (year 1959?). I have an original M42-K adapter. I have a cheap ring M39/M42 adapter inserted in the M42-K adapter. The lens is screwed inside the M39/M42 adapter.

The furthest focus of the lens in this configuration is approximately 61.5cm. This is the distance between the sensor plane and the object in focus.This is measured by putting the lens at infinity and placing a contrasty object in focus.

I have managed to unscrew the optical part from the focusing helicoid system. In my copy there is two shim rings, one of 0.5mm and one of 1.5mm. I can remove those rings from the lens and reassemble. With those rings removed, the furthest focus of the lens in this configuration is 68cm. This is measured in the same way as above.

Now I have placed the object back at 61.5cm. I have turned the focusring from infinity to closer, until the object is sharp. The lens indicates that this is at 4.5m.

I have measured the length of the lens from the front ring to the flange face with calipers. At infinity this length is 66.4mm. At 4.5m this length is 68.0mm.

The flange focal distance (see wikipedia) of PK and M42 systems is 45.46mm. The flange focal distance of M39 rangefinder systems is 28.8mm. So in theory, I would need to loose 16.66mm from a properly calibrated M39 lens. The two milimeter gets me somewhat in the right direction, but not enough. As it is now, the fantastic Jupiter 9 lens is not usable on my K5.

Sorry for the long post. Any help in cracking my own logic would be appreciated!

Thanks,
JohntheThird
Yes, your J-9 is a rangefinder version and it is quite valuable, please do not kill it It is quite pointless imho trying to convert it. Better get an SLR version (also M39). The LTM (Leica Mount) version which you seem to have costs significantly more than the SLR M39 version as far as I know.

Last edited by vanyagor; 06-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1900
Veteran Member

Let's revive this thread!!!
Helios 44-2 on K-5 II.

06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #1901

A beautiful portrait in every sense, and a beauty girl too,

Cheers,

Renato
06-24-2013, 07:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1902
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Let's revive this thread!!!
Great idea, and what a lovely portrait to do it with!

I should have joined this thread a while ago. I've got a small collection of Soviet glass. Probably nothing compared to Jean's stash, but I do what I can.

Here's one I took yesterday with my Soviet hand grenade: the Helios 40.

I should add that that's not my baby. Sad, but true. I haven't started my collection of them yet.

06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #1903
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Great idea, and what a lovely portrait to do it with!

I should have joined this thread a while ago. I've got a small collection of Soviet glass. Probably nothing compared to Jean's stash, but I do what I can.

Here's one I took yesterday with my Soviet hand grenade: the Helios 40.

I should add that that's not my baby. Sad, but true. I haven't started my collection of them yet.
Love the flying butterfly. Couldn't have focused that better even if you'd tried!
06-27-2013, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #1904
Pentaxian

Hey guys! New to the club with my Helios 44-2. My first M42 lens and so far I'm really liking it! I've only had it for a day but here are a few shots that I liked and felt like sharing.

06-30-2013, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1905
Pentaxian

I spy someone reading a spy novel. The Helios 44-2 as an excellent portrait lens, no attempt at swirly bokeh, good colors and really quite sharp....

Cross posted on I spy thread

Last edited by utak; 06-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.