Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2008, 02:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Dan, how does your Mir-1B perform on a DSLR? I have the latest version of Mir-1B and it's no where near the old Mir-1 in sharpness. May be I have a bad sample.

I wish I could tell you, honestly; but I don't have an M42 adapter. I'm desperately looking for one because I have my awesome M42 lenses and I can't use them on digital.

It seemed to be pretty sharp on film.

07-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Long long time ago my father was interested in cameras. He now has 5 SLRs and lenses resting in a drawer. As dSLR user I thought his equipment has no use to me (except sentimental value) So I was looking after second hand lenses on Ebay until one day it crossed my mind that my father ought to have some M42 lenses and so he does. The biggest surprise amongst them was the 1100mm mirror lens he kept in wardrobe. I must say I was very impressed when I held it. See for your self:

Leather box.

It comes with three filters

Wit a DS mounted on it.

I really is big.

As soon as i got Pentax M42 adapter I took some photos. Tripod is a must.

100% crop
07-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Long long time ago my father was interested in cameras. He now has 5 SLRs and lenses resting in a drawer. As dSLR user I thought his equipment has no use to me (except sentimental value) So I was looking after second hand lenses on Ebay until one day it crossed my mind that my father ought to have some M42 lenses and so he does. The biggest surprise amongst them was the 1100mm mirror lens he kept in wardrobe. I must say I was very impressed when I held it.
I think you can still buy this lens new from the various Russian lens vendors. (May be under a label other than MTO.)

Steve
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
With a DS mounted on it.
Good choice of words, as it is indeed the camera that gets mounted on the lens, and not the other way around What a great find, Matt.

I wish my dad had been into photography...

07-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think you can still buy this lens new from the various Russian lens vendors. (May be under a label other than MTO.)

Steve
Here is a listing for the 1000mm version (there is also a 500mm f/5.6):

MTO 1000mm f/10

I found vendors that featured the 1100mm pretty much in the same package as your father's, but the lens was not available and no price was listed. My understanding is that the MTO and the Rubinar are pretty similar.

Based on the condition of your father's lens, it looks like he takes pretty good care of his stuff. What a cool thing to find.

Steve
07-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #21
Inactive Account

One of the best lenses I have is the 16mm Zenitar. I do love how crisp and clear the shots are with this lens, and the many uses I find for it in landscape and fish eye work.
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
I forgot to note earlier that I really like maker's marks that are stamped on the various soviet lenses. The one on the MIR is new to me, but especially cool!

Steve

07-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
... I don't have an M42 adapter. I'm desperately looking for one because I have my awesome M42 lenses and I can't use them on digital.
There are some M42 adapters available here: M42 lenses adapters for Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Yashica, Contax, Pentax cameras.
Also you can get genuine Mount Adapter B from Pentax for $30.95 + $6.95 shipping (USA). Link: http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120
I'm not sure if they ship abroad...

And there is another one from B&H General Brand | Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter | B&H

Last edited by x_goal; 07-20-2008 at 03:39 PM.
07-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
There are some M42 adapters available here: M42 lenses adapters for Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Yashica, Contax, Pentax cameras.
Also you can get genuine Mount Adapter B from Pentax for $30.95 + $6.95 shipping (USA). Link: PentaxWebstore - Shopping Cart
I'm not sure if they ship abroad...

And there is another one from B&H General Brand | Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter | B&H

rugift sells horribly overpriced lenses and accessories.

I'd really like to get a second-hand one. Any offers?
07-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Voe,
my black M42 Mir1 has not so good IQ, as you said. The numerous rings are rattling and kind of loose. Should give it another try, but disassembly on this one seems quite complicated.
edit: Rattling rings can be tightened or loosened to an extent just by (un-)screwing them rel. to each other. Glass is rel. straight and rigid, should not affect IQ (on my copy). Did some more 'test shots', Picasa-Webalben - geo. IQ seems to be that of a decent 2.8/28, which is not too good but neiter too bad for a 2.8/37

Daniel,
how did you put the filters on the Zenitar, just screwd them in the thread of the two ears?

Matjazz,
do you get infinity on the DS?

Stevebrot,
here's more to the logo stuff,

Alfred Klomp's logo site:
ACP - Logos

istra.ru -site, russian to english through google translator:
Übersetzte Version von http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-logos.html

Georg (the other)

Last edited by georgweb; 07-13-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: more 'testshots' :-)
07-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #26

Soviet "K" mount vs "M42"

In 90th a lot of lenses made in Soviet Union for Zenith cameras had K mount (Zenitar, Mir, Jupiter...). Are they compatible with modern KAF2 Pentax DSLR mount? I heard that some "K" mount lenses, as KR (Ricoh) for example, have not exactly the same mount as Pentax K lenses. What about Soviet lenses? Do they get stuck on Pentax cameras?
I assume that all M42 lenses will work only in full manual or Av mode as Pentax M and K lenses. However, soviet K mount lenses had two different types of automatic aperture control systems - "jumping aperture" and "push aperture" (I'm not sure if my translation is correct) - that allowed TTL metering. Are they compatible in any way with Pentax aperture control system? I guess not, but it doesn't hurt to ask....
So, in the end looks like my question boils down to "Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using Soviet "K" mount lenses versus "M42" with appropriate adapter?"
Thanks in advance! If there are any resources on the web regarding this problem, links will be appreciated.
07-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
AFAIK the soviet made K mount lenses should work without any issues on a Pentax DSLR and they will work like a Pentax-M lens works, which mean only in Manual mode.
I prefer M42 lenses than M lenses as the green button does is more prone to errors in metering than when using M42 lens in Av mode.
So to answer your last question, Soviet K mount lenses act like Pentax M lenses (works only in M anual mode and/or using green button)
M42 lenses can be used in Manual mode as well as in Aperture Priority mode, which is more flexible for me at least.

The drawback is the hassle of using M42 adapters, but I am fine with it.

Cheers.
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #28

I was browsing some pages related to my question I posted in this thread earlier and found this picture of "MC Zenitar-K-2" 2/50 (in user manual for Zenit KM camera). The aperture drive mechanism looks like Pentax... Can it actually work on Pentax??? If it does not work on Pentax camera, do you need to modify lens in order to use?

Last edited by x_goal; 07-11-2008 at 10:03 AM.
07-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #29
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It will work. The only mount similar to Pentax that is not fully compatible is the Ricoh KR mount. Don't be confused because of this. This lens will mount and work without problems on your Pentax DSLR.
07-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #30

I assume that aperture mechanism will not work automatically in this lens since it does not have "A" (automatic) position. According to user manual for my K200d that is required for automatic aperture to function.
So, even it has a similar aperture mechanism it will function in manual mode only. Is that correct?

I just found this tutorial: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html
I understood Soviet K mount lenses will work exactly the same way M42s work as described in tutorial above. Or I'm wrong???

Last edited by x_goal; 07-11-2008 at 11:52 AM.