Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
My Industar-50 arrived It's pretty soft wide open, but I think it works well for portraits.
50mm /3.5 - is not for portraits

08-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #77

20mm anyone?

Hello everybody.

I saw that there are 2 different russian made 20mm.

Does any one have any idea if they're any good?

Regards,

Luis
08-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Suro,

where did you purchase your Helios 40-2? i am currently looking for it but cant find it.

even on russian websites it seems to be a very hard to find lens.
недавнось пробегало - может уже и ушло

?????????? ????????????? ????? Pentax's Journal

крути вниз
08-16-2008, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Well, actually there a little bit more versions. But usually you can find two - Mir-20 20/3.5 and Mir-47 20/2.5.
They look almost identically. Main disadvantage is large front lens and inability to mount front filter (but there is mount for rear filter as well as 3 provided filters - orange, yellow-green and UV). I think Mir-47 (it is also produced in K-mount version) has better perfomance and bokeh.

My mir-20 is in poor condition. M-A Switch for diaphraghm control is broken and I think lens was dropped on floor. Still it produces nice results on film and on digital. And I bought it for 4x Guiness beer 0.5L

P.S. Photos are taken with Zenit 122 soviet camera, Kodak T-MAX 100 film, processed in my bathroom with Kodak D-76 developer.

Attached Images

08-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #80
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
P.S. Photos are taken with Zenit 122 soviet camera, Kodak T-MAX 100 film, processed in my bathroom with Kodak D-76 developer.
The last one is a really great photo. I love it!! Thanks for sharing!
08-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #81
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Near death experience of my Volna-9.

Yesterday I decided to clean and lube my Volna-9 lens, so I dismantled it to all its bits and pieces. After I cleaned it thoroughly and relubed it with white lithium grease I started putting it back but I could not workout the focus adjustment controlled by two small plates which also keep the barrel from rotating when focusing. I spend about 4-5 hours and at one point I was so agonized and angry on me that I decided to go and look for another one on eBay. Well I look and I did not find anything. Then I get back to fixing my Volna-9. After an hour I figured out how things were supposed to be, and I had my precious lens back together again.

I just wanted to share my joy and relieve with you guys.

Thanks for listening.
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #82
MrA

I took my newly-acquired Industar 50-2 50mm f3.5 down to the seaside last weekend. Weather was abysmal, so my camera was in a plastic bag, but I was slightly less protective of the lens which had only cost me £5.

I have to say I love the size of the thing:

Not sure that these are the greatest sample photos (it was raining!) but until I find some better ones (or rather some drier weather), they're as good as it gets.

08-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
50mm /3.5 - is not for portraits
Oh damn, I just shot a dozen more.
08-17-2008, 03:20 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Oh damn, I just shot a dozen more.
Actually it is common misunderstood (like that portraits have to be shot with 85-135mm lenses. But I like 20mm, see this ). There are no rules in photography, only "wishes" how to make more pleasant photos. You can break these rules.

PS: I have 50-2 too I love its size. Tiny small m42 gnome

PS2: Small tip. You can easily define manufacture year of USSR lens or camera by its serial number. Usually, the first two digits stand for this year (it's quite rare when last two, or none of them).
08-17-2008, 04:04 AM   #85
Veteran Member

I mean "closed" diaphragm - f3.5, 50 mm portraits can be photographed in full-length or similar. Do not forget about the distortions of perspective - is critical for portraits of people.
08-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zebooka Quote
but i like 20mm, see this ).
Это не портрет, просто изуродовали лица людей Подобного плана фотографии лучше делать на рыбоглаз - смешнее, и видно, что сделано так специально
08-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
Это не портрет, просто изуродовали лица людей Подобного плана фотографии лучше делать на рыбоглаз - смешнее, и видно, что сделано так специально
It IS a portrait, because portrait is - a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person. If something doesn't fit you own feelings it doesn't mean that this is wrong

??????? ? ?????????
Portrait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: We are on english forum, so lets talk english.
08-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
Actually it is common misunderstood (like that portraits have to be shot with 85-135mm lenses. But I like 20mm, see this ). There are no rules in photography, only "wishes" how to make more pleasant photos. You can break these rules.
I agree 100%. One thing I find amusing is that a lot of people still insist on 85-135 even with the crop factor on the DSLRs. I'm a huge fan of the 50mm focal length for people since it's pretty close to the field of view of the 85mm I enjoyed on my film 35mm cameras.

By the way, the Industar-50 does look positively ridiculous on a grip equipped K20D. It almost makes my 40/2.8 look normal sized!
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zebooka Quote
it is a portrait, because portrait is - a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person. If something doesn't fit you own feelings it doesn't mean that this is wrong

??????? ? ?????????
portrait - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ps: We are on english forum, so lets talk english.

Нет ничего проще, чем сделать уродливые портреты Гораздо сложнее сделать красивые, и скрыть недостатки лица модели.
08-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #90
MrA

By the way, the Industar-50 does look positively ridiculous on a grip equipped K20D. It almost makes my 40/2.8 look normal sized!
I can imagine! I hear there's an old Pentax (or possibly Takumar) fisheye pancake out there as well, which is truly minuscule, something like a 17mm f11. Fun fun.