Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2008, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #91
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Volna-9, I just love this lens.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Some of my latest shots with taken with Volna-9 wide open.

08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Voe: those are all lovely. The Volna-9 and Helios-40 are on my 'to buy' list, though the Helios might give way to a Jupiter for now...
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #93
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Voe: those are all lovely. The Volna-9 and Helios-40 are on my 'to buy' list, though the Helios might give way to a Jupiter for now...
Thanks
BTW, there is a Volna-9 on eBay at the moment, the barrel does not look too great but hopefuly the glass and the mechanics are OK.
VOLNA-9 rare russian lens 2.8/50 - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 31-Aug-08 01:40:25 AEST)
08-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #94
Inactive Account

K200d and Zenit Lens

I just was given a beautiful Zenit 58 mm F2.0 lens and I'm trying to get it to work with my K200d. I am able to shoot with it, but it does not stop down and the camera does not seem to know what F Stop it is set for. Am I able to use this lens or am I missing some setting on the camera?

Any help appreciated. The manual leaves a bit to be desired...

08-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #95
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jojomosgo Quote
I just was given a beautiful Zenit 58 mm F2.0 lens and I'm trying to get it to work with my K200d. I am able to shoot with it, but it does not stop down and the camera does not seem to know what F Stop it is set for. Am I able to use this lens or am I missing some setting on the camera?

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it.

I never heard of Zenit lens, maybe you mean Helios-44 which is a 58mm f/2 lens and is a copy of Zeiss Biotar 58mm f/2.

If it is Helios there are two rings to set aperture. The first one (near the front glass element) set the minimum allowed aperture. The second one sets the aperture that you want to use now. This type of lenses are called preset lenses.

Hope I could help you.

Voe.
08-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #96
Veteran Member

You're probably talking about a Helios 44-series lens.
Since this lens was made when your grandpa was a lad, it has no means of "talking" with the body via electronic contacts. You're surely mounting it to the body through an adapter. This makes all commands fully manual - you have to twist the aperture ring to change the aperture, and the focus ring to.. focus.

If the aperture doesn't close as you twist the aperture ring, either the lens is set to "auto aperture" (a pin is pressed at the back of the lens when the shutter is depressed, which stops the lens down to a pre-selected value - if this is the case, look for a switch on the lens barrel that switches from auto to manual diaphragm control), or the lens is "auto only" (does the same as the one with auto aperture, but with no manual override - this is trickier to solve as it would require to keep the pin pressed at all times)

Or maybe it's just broken.
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #97
Inactive Account

Don't really know, but it definitely says Zenit on the lens. I'll shoot some pictures this evening and post them. Some of the lens and some shot with the lens.

When the lens is on the camera it says [F--] on the display.
Joe

08-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #98
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Volna-9 available right now on eBay

In case there is someone interested, there is a Volna-9 in excellent condition for sale on eBay:

50/2.8 MC Volna-9 macro M42 Zenit Pentax Praktica MINT - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 02-Sep-08 16:53:23 AEST)
08-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #99
Forum Member

My causin have at home old zenith and he give me one lens, Tair 11-A 135/2.8 and im very happy with tath lens. Like bokeh with that lens.

100% crop

List of soviet lens.
08-26-2008, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #100
Inactive Account

Helios 44K-4

Indeed it is a Helios 44K-4 and while it sort of works with my K200D it seems to have an issue, hopefully a configuration issue. The aperture steps down, at least it does visually, but the metering does not seem to be working. I get the same shutter speed whether I am at F2 or F16, so clearly something is not right. I am in the Av mode, I've set focal length at 55, Using Aperature Ring set to 2 (Permitted). Is there something else I need to be doing?

As inexpensive as this lens is, it really produces nice results and has beautiful bokeh.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
08-26-2008, 05:11 AM   #101
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed it is a Helios 44K-4 and while it sort of works with my K200D it seems to have an issue, hopefully a configuration issue. The aperture steps down, at least it does visually, but the metering does not seem to be working. I get the same shutter speed whether I am at F2 or F16, so clearly something is not right. I am in the Av mode, I've set focal length at 55, Using Aperature Ring set to 2 (Permitted). Is there something else I need to be doing?

As inexpensive as this lens is, it really produces nice results and has beautiful bokeh.
Basically you have a K mount Helios lens which is a rare find. It works the same way as Pentax M lenses work. The only way to use M lenses is in Manual mode. To meter press the green button next to the shutter button and then take the shot. M lenses are not supported in Av mode as it will meter only wide open no matter what aperture you select. Most of the Helios lenses are in M42 mount and can be used in Av mode, but the one you have is a Pentax K mount. Bare in mind that even in M mode and using the green button there are some exposure errors but still it is better than nothing.

Nice shots by the way. Hopefully you will post some more photos not only in wide open.
08-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #102
Inactive Account

OK, so really the only way to use this lens is in full manual mode. I'll have to read the book and see how to do that correctly. Thanks for that insight into the lens and the mount. I will come back and post some after I sort out what I'm doing. I will try to do a contrast and compare with the SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.4 50 mm lens as well.
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

Industar-61 50mm/2.8 @F5.6

10-17-2008, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #104
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Industar 61L against Volna-9 (bokeh comparison)

Since I got my Volna-9 I was always curious how it compares to Industar 61 so I decided to buy one.
Two days ago (last day of my annual leave) I went out to test my newly acquired Industar 61L/3.

At home I did a simple bokeh comparison with Volna-9 (both lenses wide open at f/2.8):

Taken with Industar 61L at the closest possible focus.

Taken with Volna-9 at the same distance from the object as the Industar.

My conclusion is that Industar 61L is far from the bokeh of the Volna-9.

Last edited by Voe; 10-17-2008 at 05:52 AM.
10-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing Voe,
looks like those two lenses are not the same, like I thought.
I guess the star-shape blades do look similar in their respective stops on both lenses.
Looking forward to some more pics and valued opinion from your side :-)
Georg (the other)