Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #2806
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I think that it's an excellent MF lens ... Did you get the stock as well?
You mean the Photosniper kit? Does it work with other cameras than Zenits?

08-13-2015, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #2807
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
You mean the Photosniper kit? Does it work with other cameras than Zenits?
Yes, I rigged up an electronic trigger using a push button switch and a remote trigger cable. Works great with the K-5 !

Below are images of the stock's trigger mechanism as modified ... not hard to do at all. J

08-14-2015, 02:35 AM   #2808
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I think that it's an excellent MF lens ... Did you get the stock as well?
No, just the lens and it cost me US $65.00 plus $41 for postage. A complete set would have cost over $200 plus postage.
08-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #2809
Pentaxian

Went out to do some night time shooting with my 44-2, all wide open of course (except the light leak one).

08-15-2015, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2810

Hi, I'm from Argentina, this is my collection of russian lenses. I recently bought a MC Mir 20m, but I haven't take a photograph of it yet.

Tair 3 and football

Helios 44-2

Jupiter 37A

Tair 3

08-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #2811
Forum Member

Hi All,

I am studiing buying a Zenitar 16/2.8.

The K mount version - is that operate like a K or M lens? If yes, then you would need to stop-down-meter using the green button all the time right?

The M42 version would lack aperture couplling, so this means AF mode only. Focus when open shoot when closed right?

I hope to get some advise on for which mount to go. The lens review site states to go for the K-mount, but I don't like the stop-down-metering. I already have the 10-17, but my LBA seems to want to expand my USSR lenses (currently eight, all M42/M39)
08-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #2812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Hi! The user paulh posts a lot of photos with that lens, maybe they can help you further. I just wanted to say that:
need to stop-down-meter using the green button all the time right?
Is not necessarily true with any lens. You never need to meter. But you can, if you want to. For some reason, many people think they need to press the green button before taking a shot. But if you pay attention, you can learn to adjust the settings yourself, without using green button. The Sunny 16 rule is a good place to start. And if the light doesnt change much, you can just leave those settings and snap away. And yes, you should always focus wide open for best precision, and stop down only to meter and expose.
Green button metering is definitely slower than full automation or Av mode with m42/fully manual K-mount, but you can still get a lot done without it.
Good luck with the Zenitar 16mm, I have been eyeing that lens for some time, as well

08-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #2813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hi! The user paulh posts a lot of photos with that lens, maybe they can help you further. I just wanted to say that: Is not necessarily true with any lens. You never need to meter. But you can, if you want to. For some reason, many people think they need to press the green button before taking a shot. But if you pay attention, you can learn to adjust the settings yourself, without using green button. The Sunny 16 rule is a good place to start. And if the light doesnt change much, you can just leave those settings and snap away. And yes, you should always focus wide open for best precision, and stop down only to meter and expose.
Green button metering is definitely slower than full automation or Av mode with m42/fully manual K-mount, but you can still get a lot done without it.
Good luck with the Zenitar 16mm, I have been eyeing that lens for some time, as well
Na Horuk is exactly right. The Zen 16 (in K-mount) is a totally manual lens and operates the same as an M or K lens. Green button metering is extremely helpful, but it not absolutely necessary as mentioned above. It is a bit slow and cumbersome, but does become second nature after some experience with it. I actually don't find it much of a hindrance at all. The Zen is quite a nice lens, and fun to use - recommended!
08-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #2814
Pentaxian

Whichever mount you decide to go for, the Zenitar 16mm is a great lens to own. Mine is the M42 version, and I can't really comment on the green button because I never use it. I shoot Sunny16 and doublecheck with an incident meter if I'm not sure. Here's one from this afternoon with that very lens:

08-22-2015, 12:40 PM - 3 Likes   #2815

Hey,
Today I decided to take out my "old" Pentax K200D and Helios 40-2.
Here is the result and I hope you'll enjoy!

(all photos are f1.5)

08-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #2816

Hi All,

The K mount version - is that operate like a K or M lens? If yes, then you would need to stop-down-meter using the green button all the time right?

The M42 version would lack aperture couplling, so this means AF mode only. Focus when open shoot when closed right?

I hope to get some advise on for which mount to go. The lens review site states to go for the K-mount, but I don't like the stop-down-metering. I already have the 10-17, but my LBA seems to want to expand my USSR lenses (currently eight, all M42/M39)
I own and use mostly K- and M-, some M42 lenses. I prefer the handling of the K- and M-lenses over M42. As some people already suggested, you don't have to use the green button before every shot if you pay attention to any changes in the light conditions. I don't really see the green button as a disadvantage. Other camera brands don't even have this feature. The advantage of easy, open aperture focussing and less fiddly aperture rings outweighs that 1/10 of a second you have to "waste" when pushing the green button. If you take a shot with a manual lens, you'll have to focus manually, too, which takes some time. What keeps you from throwing in a short push on that button while doing that? After some time it becomes second nature.

Additionally if you want to change lenses while shooting, having to fiddle around with the adapter is a little uncomfortable if the next lens you want to use has a bayonet mount. I own the 16mm Zenitar and it is really great. Bought a K-Mount 44 Helios to replace my M42 one and don't regret it. You happen to own a lot of M42 lenses, so if the adapter will be installed in your camera all the time anyway, your solution might be the other way around.
08-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #2817
Pentaxian

When it comes to k or M lenses I usually only have to green button meter once in a while and will do minor adjustments to shutter speed myself if I feel like it's a bit darker/brighter. Not hard at all.

I find the metering on M42 lenses in AV mode is not so great anyways.
08-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #2818
Veteran Member

One with Industar 50-2. PP added sharpness and contrast. I like this lens' colours and lack of CA.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 11:27 AM.
08-28-2015, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #2819
Pentaxian

Some front lawn flower shots with the 44-2, always reminded why I love this lens.

---------- Post added 08-28-15 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
One with Industar 50-2. PP added sharpness and contrast. I like this lens' colours and lack of CA.
The industar is a lens I eventually want to own, I like almost all the photos I've seen from it.
08-30-2015, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #2820
Veteran Member

Hey guys

I just posted this in the 'Post your photos section' and then remembered that it also deserves a spot in here

Industar 50-2, unknown aperture (but not entirely wide open I believe)

I'm extremely happy with this lens. I took this, a Helios 44k the 18-55mm kitlens and a SMC Takumar 150mm with on holidays and, well, I didn't actually use the Helios at all and the kitlens only by bad weather.
What surprised me most is that it seems way more resistant to flaring badly than the 44k. I think I have some test shots against a lamp somewhere, I'll post them later!

Have a nice sunday!