Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #3496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to break out my Industars, Zenitars, and Tair to post here. Too much Helios.

Not that the Helios is bad, but some other lenses need more love

06-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #3497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I need to break out my Industars, Zenitars, and Tair to post here. Too much Helios.

Not that the Helios is bad, but some other lenses need more love
Let's not leave out those MIR photos, either!

There is a Helios 44 club thread, as well, for some of the Helios love to go to:
Lovin' on the Helios 44 (58mm f/2) - PentaxForums.com
06-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #3498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I'm sometimes amazed by how slow a shutter speed I can manage, but here can be a wide variation, at different times, and sometimes on the same occasion. Your strategy of several attempts is a good one.

I find it interesting how different those broad cityscapes you take can look, depending on time of day, atmospheric haze, framing, and the lens. Sometimes there is something colorful that makes them srand out. Sometimes it is something about looking through those veils of atmosphere. Sometimes it is what you have selected to have sharp in the scene. In this one, the building that looks to me like a stack of shiny new dimes coming through so clearly is what draws attention, and the Helios's out-of-focus vignetting of what surrounds it makes it look like the rest is veiled by the usual atmospherics of that place....but somehow...somehow, the air has cleared between the viewer and that one shimmering structure.
Thanks for your comments, goats. I appreciate them.
I do confess that I always find the city views fascinating in all their moods. The city is like a model in that regard. There's always a different angle and a different take. I sometimes think I must bore people with repeated shots of the same scenes. I hope not. It's just that these are the views I have access to. I think they're special, that I'm fortunate to have access to them, and I like to share them. My neighbors must think I'm crazy photographing the same scene over and over, but then all Thais know foreigners are odd.
And then there are the lenses . . .
06-23-2017, 08:11 AM - 4 Likes   #3499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44M-4

I took this photo a few hours ago and wasn't going to post it, but maybe someone will like it.
I've been a member of the Soviet lenses club for a few years but haven't used my Soviet lenses (until now). The only other one I have is a Mir-1, an old silver M39 version from 1962 if I remember right. It doesn't focus well at infinity, so I put it to the side. The M-4 is likely to give way to the M-3 when it arrives, and that may stay on for awhile depending. After that, . . .
I don't want to buy anymore lenses, so my Soviet collection isn't likely to grow.
Oh, I forgot the Industar 50-2. That'll have to go on sometime soon.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
06-23-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #3500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I do confess that I always find the city views fascinating in all their moods. The city is like a model in that regard. There's always a different angle and a different take. I sometimes think I must bore people with repeated shots of the same scenes. I hope not. It's just that these are the views I have access to. I think they're special, that I'm fortunate to have access to them, and I like to share them. My neighbors must think I'm crazy photographing the same scene over and over, but then all Thais know foreigners are odd.

Monet kept painting pictures of haystacks. Repeating with variation is part of many an artistic quest.
06-24-2017, 03:40 PM - 8 Likes   #3501

Photos: Gallery
Au contraire - I have a tree I photograph all year round. I'm just a tiny bit obsessed with it and have photographed it in all seasons and all conditions with a variety of lenses. Here is just one...

Oddly enough it's taken with a Volna 9 50mm macro lens of all things.

06-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #3502
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah I do the same thing with our flower garden--take the same shot with different lenses, at different times of day, from different angle, etc., good way to compare the equipment and find what works best for me.

06-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #3503
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My neighbors must think I'm crazy photographing the same scene over and over, but then all Thais know foreigners are odd.
We all have that favorite subject.
06-25-2017, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #3504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44M-4

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed hearing all your views on photographing favorite subjects and look forward to seeing more photos of your favorite subjects. A parting shot from the Helios. I'll put something else on for a bit, maybe the Industar.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
06-25-2017, 07:04 AM - 3 Likes   #3505
Veteran Member

K-1, Industar 50-2

A bit of industry with the industar

06-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #3506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Industar-50-2

Two photos, one of and one taken by the Industar. The one of was taken with a Lumix LX-7 in macro mode. The one by was taken at minimum focus distance and f5.6, converted to black and white and silver-toned.
The M42-AF converter gives a correct focus indication in the viewfinder from wide-open to f5.6. I don't know how it's done, but it helps.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
06-26-2017, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #3507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Industar-50-2

"Eggs". Photographed at MFD and f5.6.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
06-26-2017, 09:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Industar-50-2

And a resolution shot to show the lens' sharpness at infinity and f9. Under magnification, my copy seems to suffer from slight softness at the left edge, but you do have to look closely.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
06-26-2017, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #3509
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two photos, one of and one taken by the Industar. The one of was taken with a Lumix LX-7 in macro mode. The one by was taken at minimum focus distance and f5.6, converted to black and white and silver-toned.
The M42-AF converter gives a correct focus indication in the viewfinder from wide-open to f5.6. I don't know how it's done, but it helps.
That is one impressive looking lens - great looking kit
06-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #3510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And a resolution shot to show the lens' sharpness at infinity and f9. Under magnification, my copy seems to suffer from slight softness at the left edge, but you do have to look closely.

I don't think the softness is noticeable with your subject matter and composition. The kinds of subject matter where consistent flat-field corner-to-corner high resolution is necessary is rather limited. If one specialized in pictures in one of those realms, however, then of course that lens would be insufficient. If one takes a wide variety of pictures, it would only now and then be a liability.