Photos: Gallery
S2 + Helios 44M-2:

[/URL]
11-15-2017, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #3574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Helios 44-3

I got a Sony a7 a few months ago and was initially disappointed with the results from pairing it with my m42 lenses. It seemed to me that the flange distance was off due to poor design and/or machining of the adapter. I decided to continue to use my a850 with the classic lenses and only use the a7 with the kit lens (Sony FE 28-70mm, f3.5-5.6, and a very nice lens too despite only costing about $125 with the camera body). Yesterday, I saw a photo from that period, ILCE 7 with Takumar 55mm f2.2 | Sony A7 with auto-Takumar 55? | Flickr , that made me reconsider. So, today I put the Helios 44-3 on to see how they would work together.
I accidentally somehow set the camera to output in Illustration style, and when I saw that I set it to normal. Both photos are here, straight out of the camera with no PP. Photos taken at f8, ISO 64. (The camera goes to ISO 50.)

11-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #3575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something about the illustration-style picture is very humorous to me, but I can't explain what it is that strikes me that way. Interestingly the clouds in that picture look rather realistic, and it is hard to tell that they, too, have been altered without looking at the actual picture.

It would be quite a laugh to sneak an illustration-style image into a seemingly serious lens comparison test posting!
11-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #3576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Something about the illustration-style picture is very humorous to me, but I can't explain what it is that strikes me that way. Interestingly the clouds in that picture look rather realistic, and it is hard to tell that they, too, have been altered without looking at the actual picture.

It would be quite a laugh to sneak an illustration-style image into a seemingly serious lens comparison test posting!
I thought some might be interested in the effect so I posted the image. It looks like a New Yorker Magazine cover to me. I'm not into gimmickry so it was accidental. In trying to find out what I'd done there seemed to be a number of "artistic" output options. I suppose they could be useful if you wanted to make your own Christmas cards, say, or magazine or album covers. It's amazing how quickly these algorithms can render a scene. The camera didn't seem to take any longer than when outputting a normal picture.
11-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #3577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I thought some might be interested in the effect so I posted the image. It looks like a New Yorker Magazine cover to me. I'm not into gimmickry so it was accidental. In trying to find out what I'd done there seemed to be a number of "artistic" output options. I suppose they could be useful if you wanted to make your own Christmas cards, say, or magazine or album covers. It's amazing how quickly these algorithms can render a scene. The camera didn't seem to take any longer than when outputting a normal picture.
Yes, New Yorker cartoonish! Maybe that's why it struck me as funny.

11-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #3578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44-3

Helios with Sony a7. Shot at f11 and cropped a little. Some PP, too. Close to MFD.
11-16-2017, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #3579
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44-3

i hate shopping for clothes and in Bangkok it's rather difficult to find clothing for an XXL American male. After three and a half years, the wardrobe I brought over here is starting to thin out through wear, tears, and whatnot. So, today I ventured out to Pratunam Market, which Google told me was a very popular clothing market and would have some selection in my size. What a horrible place! A HUGE semi-outdoor market with everything haphazardly disorganized, hot, crowded (though I went early), catering for the most part to young women, with narrow lanes full of people more or less aimlessly wandering, some towing pull along luggage, porters moving large bales of goods (as in the photo), motorcycles (!), and food vendors camping out in the middle of the lanes. I will never understand how anyone could go to a place like this unless they were in dire straits. . . And the goods were all alike, cheap, shoddily made for the most part (at least by my standards), and mens' wear was perhaps 10% of what was offered, but probably less. Factor in size . . . Ripped jeans with holes in them are "fashionable", and ALL the jeans offered have frayed holes in them.
Anyway, enough context. I did bring my camera, but the place was not as photogenic as I was hoping, so I only took one picture. It was fairly dim, so I set the ISO to "auto". I thought I had set the range for auto at between 100 and 400. The photo was taken at ISO 800. So, this is what the camera (Sony a7) and lens can do at ISO 800. 1/20 sec exposure. Acceptable for snapshots I guess.

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 11-16-2017 at 01:27 AM.
11-16-2017, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #3580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44-3

The two dollar bill is very rarely seen in circulation though it's still legal tender. In fact, I was reading last night about a thirteen year old in Houston, TX who was turned in to the police by the school lunchlady for trying to use one to pay for some chicken nuggets. The police took her away and told her she could be in some very serious trouble for trying to pass counterfeit money . . . She missed lunch but later got her $2 bill back.
I was offered and accepted a dozen of them from a bank here in Bangkok some years ago when doing a currency exchange. They seemed to consider them a nuisance.
Picture taken at f11, slightly cropped and brightened.

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 11-17-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: correction
11-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #3581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote

The two dollar bill is very rarely seen in circulation though it's still legal tender. In fact, I was reading last night about a thirteen year old in Dallas, TX who was turned in to the police by the school lunchlady for trying to use one to pay for some chicken nuggets. The police took her away and told her she could be in some very serious trouble for trying to pass counterfeit money . . . She missed lunch but later got her $2 bill back.
I was offered and accepted a dozen of them from a bank here in Bangkok some years ago when doing a currency exchange. They seemed to consider them a nuisance.
Picture taken at f11, slightly cropped and brightened.
They are uncommon in circulation, but you can sometimes just get them from a bank if you ask.They are quite a bit more common than their circulation would suggest.
11-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #3582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen $2 bills perhaps about three times in my life, but the last time I was much younger than now.
11-18-2017, 11:52 AM - 5 Likes   #3583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Helios 44M4 by f/2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-18-2017, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3584

Photos: Albums
I had a studio session a few weeks ago and I used a bunch of Soviet m42 primes:

Helios 44

Mir 24M

Jupiter 9
11-19-2017, 12:26 AM - 2 Likes   #3585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helios 44-3

Got out of bed, looked out the window and saw this. "Early Morning Entrance."
This ship looks like it has cargo to unload. Most come in empty to pick up cargo.
It's very humid lately, and very hazy. There seems to be a marked increase in chemtrail activity as well.

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 11-19-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: additional observations