Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #121

May I offer a mild protest?

This thread must stop!!!

My M42 to K adaptor arrived yesterday and a Mir 1 and Helios 44-2 are tied up with that hemp cord all packages from the Ukraine are adorn with addressed to my home. It is already apparent to me that a Jupiter 9 is not too far off in my future.

This has to stop, I already have too much stuff!!!!

Last edited by rover; 11-18-2008 at 11:30 AM.
11-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #122
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I love my Mir-1. It gives such a romantic a'la 60s character to the photos. BTW, I also tried the Mir-1B (aka Mir-1V) but it is no good.

If you are after close shots with great bokeh wide open I would suggest the Volna-9. It is a 50mm f/2.8 1:2 macro lens and you can see comparison and sample shots earlier in this thread but that's another story
11-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
I love my Mir-1. It gives such a romantic a'la 60s character to the photos. BTW, I also tried the Mir-1B (aka Mir-1V) but it is no good.

If you are after close shots with great bokeh wide open I would suggest the Volna-9. It is a 50mm f/2.8 1:2 macro lens and you can see comparison and sample shots earlier in this thread but that's another story
This is so not helpful.

I am glad to hear your description of the Mir 1 images as I do really enjoy that look.
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #124
Igilligan

Suro

QuoteOriginally posted by suro Quote
Another one from Helios 40-2:

For the cover of Magazine "Lady Vita"

THAT IS PERFECTION in everyway!

11-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
THAT IS PERFECTION in everyway!
Thank you! Some people think It's seems like BF (Big frame) camera. But, It's just the Pentax K20D + Helios 40-2 + skin correction in PhotoShop
12-02-2008, 04:18 AM   #126
Veteran Member

from the Jupiter-9, a little soft but I like it anyway.

12-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #127
Igilligan

Hey Fig...

That is perfect softness if you ask me... it really works with the B&W conversion. Simply beautiful...

I would love to see the original color version... you could pm it to me if you dont want to post it in the thread.

12-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #128

ist DS and poor man's pancake

I know you've seen it a hundred times before but....

just got the poor man's pancake lens for my ist DS, so decided to look in. About 6 GB pounds on eBay, +2 for postage. A bargain. I really like the look and feel. Can't wait to see it performs well enough. If not great, least I have is a smart body cap that doubles up as an instant back-up manual focus lens. MF is most what I shoot with the ist DS anyway (Takumars, Tamron, Raynox, Carl Zeiss Jennar...Prinzflex, Derek Gardner i.e. a mix). I also have a Helios 44 (?).

Here's the industar pancake (industar 50-2 50mm 3.5) on my ist DS

Here's my 1st photo through it on the ist DS...be gentle...(evening, so with flash)

And thanks for all your soviet lens photos. They're great.
12-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #129

Industar-50-2 is a nice little lens. Sharp enough at all apertures and pictures have a certain "soviet" feel (or maybe it's my imagination )
12-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Just today I have received a Tair-11A 135/2.8 Lens, in decent condition. What's unique about it are the 20 aperture blades, that all work together in a beautiful harmony. Here are a couple shots of the lens I received. It has a little bit of wear on the barrel, but the brass seems to be quite clean other than a little bit of dust.

You can't really tell in these shots but it does have a built-in hood that extends slightly, which is that non-knurled cylinder at the end of the barrel.

Has anyone else had any experience with this lens? From a few test shots indoors it seems to be a keeper to me. Seemed quite sharp wide open, and great bokeh even when stopped down slightly. I'll know more after I get it outside in the real world. I'll try to get some sample shots outside on my K200D tomorrow in the morning before I head to work.

12-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #131
Forum Member

This Tair is for me greatest lens and always is in my bag. My copy is in excellent condition - like new.
I compared few lenses here and Tair - No1 for me.
Another sample at 2.8.
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I managed to use my Tair-11A for a few shots today. Was at a in-law family thing and took a few different lenses with me, one of which was this 135/2.8 beauty. Produced some really nice headshots with this lens. Quite sharp even wide open at f/2.8. I believe most of these were shot at 2.8, but i may have stopped down to 5.6 for one of them (hard to remember w/o it being in the exif!). Hard to tell the difference in any of them regardless. Shooting at ISO800 indoors.

Let me know what you think. I wasn't posing these people, pretty much just candid shots to see what the lens could do. Thanks, Jim.

Here is a quick test I did outside (just happened to be a cemetery outside where we were at, so don't think I enjoy shooting grave stones) to show difference between f/2.8 and closed down a few stops. Not sure it was the best test subject but I was in a rush and didn't have too many options. Focus subject was the gravestone. ISO200.

wide open:

closed to f/5.6 or f/8 (i forget)
12-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x_goal Quote
I assume that aperture mechanism will not work automatically in this lens since it does not have "A" (automatic) position. According to user manual for my K200d that is required for automatic aperture to function.
So, even it has a similar aperture mechanism it will function in manual mode only. Is that correct?

I just found this tutorial: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/3800-ca...unt-d-slr.html
I understood Soviet K mount lenses will work exactly the same way M42s work as described in tutorial above. Or I'm wrong???
If the lens has the K-mount it should behave like a Pentax K or M lens - that is, it can be used in the Manual mode using Green button stop-down metering. The aperture will stop down when you shoot. It can also be used in aperture-preferred (Av) mode, but only at fully open aperture, as it will not stop down when you shoot.
12-09-2008, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #134
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Recently I bought Mir-24H which is a 35mm f/2 Nikon mount lens, and is also available in M42 but under the name Mir-24M.
After slight lens modification I did some table top shots just to see how it behaves at f/2.

Mir-24N @ f/2

Mir-24N @ f/2

Mir-24N @ f/2 - 100% crop of the image above

The lens can focus really close at 24mm making it not a bad alternative for DA 35mm Macro Limited if you are not after 1:1 reproduction ratio.

I will probably do some comparison tests between Mir-24N, Topcor 35mm f/2.8, and Mir-1 (which is a 37mm f/2.8)
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Hehe, Voe. I have been waiting for my 35mm f2.8 to arrive. The cost is going up a little lately.

That is a nice shot.