Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #136
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Few more from Mir-24N

My conclusion is that is not a bokeh king, but which 35mm is..
I like it for the sum if its qualities. It does everything well, which makes it a very useful lens for various purposes.

12-18-2008, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #137
Veteran Member

Voe,
great photos once again and this lens don't look too shabby either, even the bokeh in my eyes. I hope I can let this Mir24 rest, as I have yet to really check out the 35/2.4 Flektogon (should be good enough, shouldn't it?).

About bokeh, did some bokeh shots with yet another Helios 44xxx, this time a 44-3 fell in my hands (oh my). It's a 90xx serial number (concluding: 1990) Belomo preset version with greenish coating. People shots indoors look good at f/2 and a little easier for me at f/2.8 (can't post here, really sorry). I have settled at f/2.8 for most of the time, AV-mode, focus, shoot.

Helios 44-3 on K100D f/2.8, upper right crop

Helios 44-3 on K100D f/2, nearly full crop

Georg (the other)
12-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #138
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks George
I wonder how will the Flektogon stack up against the Mir-24.
12-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #139
Veteran Member

That is an interesting topic, Voe. You are going to get that one too?

12-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jupiter-9 Brick Wall Test

I received my Jupiter-9 85mm f2 back from service today - when I first received it from Rugift its focusing action was so stiff it would unscrew from the M42 adapter before turning! I had it cleaned and relubed with modern lens grease, and the difference is fantastic! Here are some test shots I made to compare it with my SMC-M 85mm f2: MC Jupiter-9 85mm f2 Lens Photo Gallery by Jim King at pbase.com

It's evident that the Pentax M 85 is a better lens, but the Jupiter-9 acquits itself well considering the price and the antiquity of its design.

Regards, Jim
12-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
I received my Jupiter-9 85mm f2 back from service today - when I first received it from Rugift its focusing action was so stiff it would unscrew from the M42 adapter before turning! I had it cleaned and relubed with modern lens grease, and the difference is fantastic! Here are some test shots I made to compare it with my SMC-M 85mm f2: MC Jupiter-9 85mm f2 Lens Photo Gallery by Jim King at pbase.com

It's evident that the Pentax M 85 is a better lens, but the Jupiter-9 acquits itself well considering the price and the antiquity of its design.

Regards, Jim
Jim, do you use your M 85 f/2 much? That may be my 1st or 2nd favorite lens.

Thanks for that comparison, excellent, bookmarked.
12-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Jim, do you use your M 85 f/2 much? That may be my 1st or 2nd favorite lens.

Thanks for that comparison, excellent, bookmarked.
Glad you found my comparison useful. I do need to add some "real" pictures to that gallery; walls are boring!

I'm embarrassed to say that I no longer make much use of my M85 (actually, I have two of them...) since I got my FA 77. The Limited is such a great lens that it's the first short tele I reach for when I'm not using a zoom.

I really should put some more of my duplicate lenses up for sale in this forum - it's been a while since I cleaned house!

12-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #143
Igilligan

Hi Jim

Great to hear of your successful fix on the Jupiter 9... I have a CZ Jena Tessar that has a really tight focus ring. I was wondering where did you have the Jupiter 9 serviced at?
12-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Great to hear of your successful fix on the Jupiter 9... I have a CZ Jena Tessar that has a really tight focus ring. I was wondering where did you have the Jupiter 9 serviced at?
I sent it to Paul Ebel Lens Services, 420 21st Street North, Suite #2, PO Box 141, Meniminee, WI 54751. You can call Paul at 651-335-8759 or email him at paulebel44@yahoo.com.

I've used Paul's services to repair Rollei and SLR lenses - he gives fairly quick turnaround, his prices are reasonable, and his work is excellent.
12-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Glad you found my comparison useful. I do need to add some "real" pictures to that gallery; walls are boring!

I'm embarrassed to say that I no longer make much use of my M85 (actually, I have two of them...) since I got my FA 77. The Limited is such a great lens that it's the first short tele I reach for when I'm not using a zoom.

I really should put some more of my duplicate lenses up for sale in this forum - it's been a while since I cleaned house!

That would be great. Any idea when you'd do that so I could take the day off?

12-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #146
Egl

Mir 20M

I got myself an old sovjet lens! A MIR 20M. 20 mm and f/3.5. I have been testing it a bit. Seems like an ok lens with some goods and bads. The good thing is the sharpness really. As you can see below on the test I did. Its another league than the kit lens (DA 18-55). The corner sharpness is at max at F16. Maybe its not fair to test a prime against a cheap zoom, but I have no other in the similar range. And I guess the kitlens is something everyone can relate to anyway.

Corner sharpness. 100% crop. Tripod used.

The centre sharpness is pretty good at every aperture.

Barrel distortion is as bad as the kitlens, but its CA is alot better. There are two really bad things with the MIR I think. The first is flare. It really ruins a photo if the sun hits the front lens. I can live with some flare in my photo but this becomes too overwhelming. Also there is no hood for this lens, so you simply have to deal with the flare yourself. The second bad thing about it is the bokeh which can be plain ugly at times. See the photo attatched below. Light falloff is good. Very hard to notice in my photos.

Surprisingly it is as wide as the kit lens at 18mm. Maybe pentax measures this with including the effects of the barrel distortions and the MIR does not. I dont know.

I dont think I will use this lens much. Its simply too big. Especially concidering you can get the tiny DA21 with pretty much the same specs. I wish I could compare it directly to that, but I dont own it. But the Mir is the most awesome souvernier from my holiday in Russia. Beats any matroska at least.

The MIR 20M

Bokeh. 100% crop.

I dont remember the aperture at this one. Its not stored in the EXIF using the MIR.
12-20-2008, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #147
Forum Member

Tair-3FS (F4.5/300) - great lens, only a bit heavy and diaphragm adjustments are weird.

Full frame - resized

Full frane - resized

Previous - cropped

Croped

"Astro" image - croped

I love this lens. I also like Jupiter-37A - these two are quite often used lenses on my K100D body. As what goes for MIR-1B - quite crappy lens but still usable now and then (but DA kit is still better).
12-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #148
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
I love this lens. I also like Jupiter-37A - these two are quite often used lenses on my K100D body. As what goes for MIR-1B - quite crappy lens but still usable now and then (but DA kit is still better).
I agree with you on all counts. I have the Tair-3C and it is a very good lens. But the Jupiter-37A is a real gem to have, the color and bokeh is so good.
As for the Mir-1B I bought this one and got rid of it as it is one of the worst lenses I ever tried. Not so for the Mir-1 (without the "B"). It is much better lens with an interesting retro rendering, and sharp enough as well. Though it has flare issues, which a small hood can easily fix.
12-26-2008, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

madphys,
great shots from the Tair rifle/sniper thing. I did not use mine for a long time now, but the competition is stiff (and the flesh is unwilling to carry it around).

Voe,
+1 on your opinions on those three lenses. My Mir1-B copy is a real average performer also. At least with this lens there is not too much build spread :-)

Two more from the PK-mount Volna/Lomo MC 1.8/50 + K100D,

Love this lens,
Georg (the other)
01-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #150
Igilligan

Back with some Helios-44M shots...

The greatest kit lens in the history of Steel and Glass... Yeah, I said it!

Still madly in love with this lens... wow, I need to get a life
Honestly though, the first one is one of my favs of late... it's is the reason I do this...

ISO 1600 K100d