Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #3676
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In Memoriam

Below is another from a session earlier this month with my Jupiter-9. Sadly, the aperture blades on that lens seized a few nights ago, probably due to aging of oil applied during manufacture. One of the blades is quite buckled and another somewhat less so. I attempted disassembly intending to release tension in the hope that the bend will not be permanent, but was not able to release the front optical block to expose the retaining ring. I suspect that thread locker or similar was applied during assembly.

So, in tribute, here is one of the last photos taken with this, one of my favorite lenses.

Pale Lemon on the Petals

Pentax K-3, LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2 RIP

Steve
"Dang*" ... that's really too bad.

I could use stronger language, but I do not want to be sanctioned ... again, sorry and hope that you find a replacement soon.

07-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #3677
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"Dang*" ... that's really too bad.
I learned a stern lesson regarding oil on aperture blades. For the most part, it is not a problem on preset and manual aperture lenses. If, however, things start getting sticky, it is time to clean them up.

Steve
07-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #3678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I really like the colour in these photos, how did you process them?

Thanks!

I used capture one and I'm not sure how colour grading works in LR or other editing suites.
But anyways:
First: midtones and highlights moved slightly towards orange, blues have been shifted lightly towards turquoise (though the water really is that colour!)
Second: same as first minus the shift in the blue
Third: shadows moved towards green and highlights towards orange

Sorry for the late answer, I haven't been checking in here regularly lately.
08-07-2018, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #3679
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Helios 44-2 has been on a vacation for a while, now back to work

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

08-10-2018, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #3680
Pentaxian

And again with Helios!

[IMG][/IMG]

X-posted Anyone else miss the K200D? - Page 56 - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2018, 02:23 PM - 3 Likes   #3681
Pentaxian

One more from Helios 58mm. Should have more time with her

[IMG][/IMG]
09-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #3682
Veteran Member

This was kind of a test shot to see how my J-12 would do wide open. I'm pretty impressed with it...

Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V750-M Pro

09-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #3683
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This was kind of a test shot to see how my J-12 would do wide open. I'm pretty impressed with it...

Canon 7 rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V750-M Pro
That is my experience as well.

Steve
09-03-2018, 05:25 PM - 3 Likes   #3684
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is my experience as well.

Steve
Other than some odd flare in certain situations, it's a great lens.

This one from my Kiev-2a and J-12 shows the flare in the upper corners. Both my 54 KMZ made L39 copy, and my 70s (?) LZOS made Kiev mount copy have this flare in certain situations.

1955 Kiev-2a Rangefinder
Jupiter-12 35/2.8
Fujicolor 200
Nikon Coolscan V ED
09-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #3685
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I invite the hard core soviet lenses buffs to contribute with some nice reviews.
I just checked the review section to find info about a couple of lenses I'm interested in (Apo Telezenitar 135mm and Kaleinar 100mm).
I found no reviews at all!
Strangely there should be something about the Kaleinar 150mm, which is a medium format lens and has a focal that does not make so much sense on a modern DSLR, especially crop format.
Often people ask about a relatively cheap 85/100mm portrait lens. The 2.8/100mm Kaleinar is one of the few options.
It is not super fast, OK. But is not super slow either, and I've seen many pics showing a nice rendering of portraits... which is often the main requirement when people ask about a lens of this focal range.
I believe there are soviet lenses that are still quite underrated. A fair review would give not-so-common soviet lenses some visibility, and provide many forum users (especially newcomers) a wider view of the optics available second-hand, including soviet ones
While I'm writing I realise I'm encouraging myself in the first place.
I will try, though I'm away from the bulk of my lenses.
I have only a small subset with me, only two Helios 44 (early M39 8-blades, and 44-2)... but I have one that has already been posted and will soon knock on my door
It is a MC APO Telezenitar 2.8/135mm (year 1993).
I will try to fix the stuck diaphragm blades and then I will give it enough time to be properly tested.
I will post the pictures here, and with time I'll write a review.

If a new review is posted, it would be useful to have it announced on this thread.

cheers
Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-18-2018 at 08:42 AM.
09-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #3686
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I invite the hard core soviet lenses buffs to contribute with some nice reviews.
I just checked the review section to find info about a couple of lenses I'm interested in (Apo Telezenitar 135mm and Kaleinar 100mm).
I found no reviews at all!
Strangely there should be something about the Kaleinar 150mm, which is a medium format lens and has a focal that does not make so much sense on a modern DSLR, especially crop format.
Often people ask about a relatively cheap 85/100mm portrait lens. The 2.8/100mm Kaleinar is one of the few options.
It is not super fast, OK. But is not super slow either, and I've seen many pics showing a nice rendering of portraits... which is often the main requirement when people ask about a lens of this focal range.
I believe there are soviet lenses that are still quite underrated. A fair review would give not-so-common soviet lenses some visibility, and provide many forum users (especially newcomers) a wider view of the optics available second-hand, including soviet ones
While I'm writing I realise I'm encouraging myself in the first place.
I will try, though I'm away from the bulk of my lenses.
I have only a small subset with me, only two Helios 44 (early M39 8-blades, and 44-2)... but I have one that has already been posted and will soon knock on my door
It is a MC APO Telezenitar 2.8/135mm (year 1993).
I will try to fix the stuck diaphragm blades and then I will give it enough time to be properly tested.
I will post the pictures here, and with time I'll write a review.

If a new review is posted, it would be useful to have it announced on this thread.

cheers
Paolo
Good for you
09-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #3687
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Good for you
Good if I can fix the diaphragm...
I really wanted to buy the Samyang 2/135mm, but is out of reach now.
I googled and googled to find a possible alternative. Few vintage 135mm's have very good sharpness wide open and almost no fringing.
I found very different opinions about the Apo Telezenitar, from nothing special to extremely good
No idea why, could be that the performance varies a lot between one example and the other.
This lens was produced when the russian optical industry was not at its best
Hopefully I will see myself, and post a few examples on this thread.
Wish me luck

Cheers

Paolo
09-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #3688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Good if I can fix the diaphragm...
I really wanted to buy the Samyang 2/135mm, but is out of reach now.
I googled and googled to find a possible alternative. Few vintage 135mm's have very good sharpness wide open and almost no fringing.
I found very different opinions about the Apo Telezenitar, from nothing special to extremely good
No idea why, could be that the performance varies a lot between one example and the other.
This lens was produced when the russian optical industry was not at its best
Hopefully I will see myself, and post a few examples on this thread.
Wish me luck

Cheers

Paolo
I don't know anything about this lens, but I was curious enough to go look for a review. Here is one that compares it to the APO Lanthar.

Voigtl
09-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #3689
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I don't know anything about this lens, but I was curious enough to go look for a review. Here is one that compares it to the APO Lanthar.
Comparing the two lenses is a bit of a stretch
The only thing they have in common is the APO engraving on the lens barrel.
I asked Dr. Klaus, one of the moderators of the same forum and a famous collector of apochromats for photography outside visible light (UV and IR).
He had three Apo Telezenitar's (now two, he sold one).
In his opinion the lens is not a true Apo, cause it still has a touch of fringing, but the performance is very good.
From what I understand a good example should give top sharpness for a lens of that age.
I can't wait to test it.
I will post here a test picture before trying to clean the diaphragm
09-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #3690
Pentaxian

Looking for info about recent KMZ lenses, I found this interesting page in their site:
????? - ?????-????? - ??????? - «?????» ??????????? ????? ????????????? «???????» ?? ???????? Photokina 2016
Easy to read with Google Translator.
Even if they were presented at the Photokina two yers ago I didn't see any news of them on the web.
Are they actually available for the public?
I have also seen a wonderful 1.2/85mm, but I guess it has never gone beyond the stage of prototype.
It seems all the efforts are dedicated to the military sector