Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3394 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #151
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The greatest kit lens in the history of Steel and Glass... Yeah, I said it!
Notice, he said steel!

Steve

01-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi, last week I get copy of Helios 40 here are some shots I made with the lens, all pic without PP only
converted to jpg wiht LR.

#1 f1.5

#2 f1.5

#3 f2.0

Last edited by Patriot; 01-13-2009 at 03:28 AM.
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #153
mel
Veteran Member

I bought some cheapo optical slave strobes and was playing around. This is from my first attempt with them. I tweaked the exposure and contrast post (and converted to bw as well).

Helios 44. My goodness I love this lens.

01-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #154
Igilligan

Hi Mel

So glad to see you got the pin issue fixed with this lens... Love the shot. What are your cheapo optical slave strobes? And how cheapo were they?

You just echoed my sentiments on this lens... I still love this lens...

I took one of my favorite shots ever, last week with it...

keep them coming... Ps is the guitar player related to you? Or a model

01-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #155
mel
Veteran Member

So glad to see you got the pin issue fixed with this lens... Love the shot. What are your cheapo optical slave strobes? And how cheapo were they?

You just echoed my sentiments on this lens... I still love this lens...

I took one of my favorite shots ever, last week with it...

keep them coming... Ps is the guitar player related to you? Or a model
Beautiful image Gus. And thanks.

The guitar player is my number 2 son. He's 16. He was practicing when I made him model for me and I told him to just sit and keep playing. So he sat there and serenaded me while I played cameras and lights. I was entirely too close the the wall but that is kind of a problem in my house. The only place I can get away from the wall, there's a window. I'm working on clearing out the basement so I can set up a quasi-studio down there.

The strobes are just an sp midi and an sp mini, $25 and $20 respectively. They run on 2 AA batteries. The have the holes in them so you can mount them on a stand. They're about 2 x 2.5 x 1 inches in size but kick out decent light for their size. The cheaper one has a little stand with a suction cup to you can stick to smooth surfaces too. I have the other one on my old tripod (head broke so it's a light stand now - recycling).

I have a lot of learning to do but at least I didn't have to break the bank to get started with lighting at least. These should be decent enough for kid portraits in the basement studio untill I can afford better.

And - I documented my adventures in pin-fixing. Just for fun. Here: The part of my day that didn't involve car crashes . . . on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #156
Veteran Member

here's my Helios 44M - it was my dad's, bought brand new in moscow, USSR, with zenit EM camera, somewhere in early 1980s.
camera still works, lens still works, on both film and digital cameras.

Helios-44M 2/58:

Helios-44M mounted on K100D Super:

closeup bokeh shot, f/2.0 and f/2.8:

strange circular flares around lights:

all photos are not edited in photoshop, just resized for flickr/forum.
01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #157
Igilligan

elkarrde - a mint 44M

Yours still looks brand new... and some nice shots. The 44-M's have a 'look' to them for sure.

Keep posting those shots...

01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Yours still looks brand new... and some nice shots. The 44-M's have a 'look' to them for sure.

Keep posting those shots...
thanks!
yeah, it looks almost mint, there are some minor signs of brassing on focus ring and some sanding marks on mount - i had to sand off the paint from screw thread, it was too thick to screw it on the adapter.

i'll try to get a 44-2 model, and write up a small comparison chart, along with photos.
01-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Great photos with the Helios 44! I bought the Helios 44-2 a few months back and haven't used it often due to the lens being loose on my K10D. Looking at the 44-M series, I noticed the base of the lens will be flush with the flange on the camera, so I should have bought one of them. Optically the 44-2 is really good but just a tad annoying to use, maybe it needs another chance.
01-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #160
mel
Veteran Member

Helios 44 mounted backwards on K10D for macro.

01-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #161
Igilligan

Flippin' it backwards and shootin' macro

Now your just showin' off Mel...

Actually that is a fun idea... I have stuck the raynox on the front of it and loved the results... So maybe an hour playing rev mount macro shooter would be fun.

thanks

gus

ps thanks the the industar info and examples too... I think I will try and grab one.
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
figmental said:
"Optically the 44-2 is really good but just a tad annoying to use, ... "
Did you consider taping the lens/bayonet junction?
I'm doing this quite a lot, and it helps with wobbling lenses and such. Actually I am also taping the two holes that appear with tiny lenses on the adapter (not the genuine Pentax adapter).

Try to get black quality (non-smeering) webbing tape, it's really worth it. Usually some tape on the bottom junction is enough. When de-taping, pull off gently and then re-apply several times if any residues are left. It will all end up on the tape again after some tries.

Best, Georg (the other)
01-29-2009, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #163
Veteran Member

Mel, incredible shot and I guess this is some sea animals housing.

Here's some random stuff from the station where I change trains, checking the MC Jupiter 37A 3.5/135. Shot full open or a tad down to f4 on K100D, another 'long bokeh' check. The lens is said to have the exact same lens scheme as its Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar revenant.

Keep 'em coming,
Georg (the other)
01-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Did you consider taping the lens/bayonet junction?
I'm doing this quite a lot, and it helps with wobbling lenses and such. Actually I am also taping the two holes that appear with tiny lenses on the adapter (not the genuine Pentax adapter).

Try to get black quality (non-smeering) webbing tape, it's really worth it. Usually some tape on the bottom junction is enough. When de-taping, pull off gently and then re-apply several times if any residues are left. It will all end up on the tape again after some tries.

Best, Georg (the other)
Thanks for the tip, do you have any photos for reference? I like to swap m42 lenses often so will this taping remedy affect that?
01-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Fig said:
I like to swap m42 lenses often so will this taping remedy affect that?
Not really, however it is another extra step when changing lenses.

PM sent.

Georg (the other)