Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14311 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 10:16 AM - 6 Likes   #16201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I use Google Photos to host my pictures. I open one of my pictures to normal viewing size there, right click on it, and then click "Copy image address."

Just wanted to give that a try with an old photo, as I've recently discovered that my old stuff from the soon-to-be-defunct Google+ is also on Google Photos even though I've never used it.

Hey, it works! So long Flickr.

03-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #16202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) I use Google Photos to host my pictures. I open one of my pictures to normal viewing size there, right click on it, and then click "Copy image address."

2) Then I go to the tab where I have a thread open in Pentax Forums, and, in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread area, and I click on the little mountain-with-sun icon above the main message text area.

3) A little window opens up that says "Please enter the URL of your image." I put my cursor in the box below those words, right-click, and click on "Paste." That puts the address of my message in the box.

4) I click okay and the address appears in the main message box between the correct [IMG] tags.

5) I type the text of my message and then click "Submit Reply."

6) My message posts in the thread with my picture displayed in the message, NOT as link to elsewhere.

* * * (Note that I do not use the Google Photos sharing link, which would cause a link to be displayed in my PF message. I copy the address of the image when it is being displayed in Google Photos. Those addresses are lo-o-o-ong, but they work just fine in these forums.
I use Google Photos too but I had no idea that you could do as you have described. I can't thank you enough for that information as I had been led to believe that you could not link to Google Photos from forums.
I will now go and try it out. Thank you again for such good news.

I will still use Flickr until my subscription expires but, depending on their pricing and attitude after that. I can't say.
03-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #16203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Just wanted to give that a try with an old photo, as I've recently discovered that my old stuff from the soon-to-be-defunct Google+ is also on Google Photos even though I've never used it.

That was a beautiful old photo to try it with, Dave. Yes, it works. Isn't that wonderful news?
03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #16204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, yes, yes! It works. Of course, I never doubted you, goatsNdonkey, but I am amazed at how simple it is. Thank you showing us this method which I would never have thought of.

So, here's an image taken with my K-3 and a Super-Tak 50mm f1.4 (7 element version):

03-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #16205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I use Google Photos too but I had no idea that you could do as you have described. I can't thank you enough for that information as I had been led to believe that you could not link to Google Photos from forums.
I will now go and try it out. Thank you again for such good news.

I will still use Flickr until my subscription expires but, depending on their pricing and attitude after that. I can't say.
I've tried this technique with another kind of discussion form and it didn't work. It might be that their system has a smaller limit on how long the image address can be. But once I began getting the Google Photo links the way I described, they have always worked here at PF, despite the link addresses being long.

I'm glad it is helping others out.
03-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #16206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried this technique with another kind of discussion form and it didn't work. It might be that their system has a smaller limit on how long the image address can be. But once I began getting the Google Photo links the way I described, they have always worked here at PF, despite the link addresses being long.

I'm glad it is helping others out.
I am also a member of canonforums.com (which was created by pentaxforums.com) but they use a very different forum template to this one so I will try your method to see it it works there too.

Update: Yes, it works at canonforums.com too. There is an icon there with mountains which says "Image" when you hover over it and you just past the URL in there and your image is immediately visible.

Last edited by rayallen; 03-06-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Update.
03-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #16207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cuenca Trolley

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPiW-jZXZEGxpC62xbrcCX5c31zMZwBvxW2KCku

Thanks, Goats. Something good came of an unpleasant discussion.

When I first arrived in Cuenca a week ago at 1AM, I immediately noticed rails in the road and wondered if Cuenca had a trolley or used to have one. It turns out they have a brand-new system that hasn't started operations yet but should very soon. The drivers are training at the moment. They have twelve trolleys servicing stops every ten minutes and the fare will be 35 to 50 cents depending on the number of people using the service. (They use US currency here in Ecuador if you don't know that already. I've never seen so many "silver" dollars in my life.) The first month will be free. I think the trolley will be my new favorite form of transportation.
This won't be the definitive photo of a trolley for me. I'm waiting for better weather. It's the rainy season and so pretty cloudy most of the day with sporadic rain. It's a Morton's Salt kind of place. It's similar to Arequipa in that the weather is pretty consistent year round, though maybe a little cooler, a few degrees lower because of higher altitude (2500 meters as opposed to 2000 meters. Cusco is 3300 meters.)
The photo was taken with the auto-Takumar 55mm f2.

I couldn't get the photo to display. Maybe it only will if you have "space" for uploading photos to the forum.

03-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #16208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
Browser no longer supported

Thanks, Goats. Something good came of an unpleasant discussion.

When I first arrived in Cuenca a week ago at 1AM, I immediately noticed rails in the road and wondered if Cuenca had a trolley or used to have one. It turns out they have a brand-new system that hasn't started operations yet but should very soon. The drivers are training at the moment. They have twelve trolleys servicing stops every ten minutes and the fare will be 35 to 50 cents depending on the number of people using the service. (They use US currency here in Ecuador if you don't know that already. I've never seen so many "silver" dollars in my life.) The first month will be free. I think the trolley will be my new favorite form of transportation.
This won't be the definitive photo of a trolley for me. I'm waiting for better weather. It's the rainy season and so pretty cloudy most of the day with sporadic rain. It's a Morton's Salt kind of place. It's similar to Arequipa in that the weather is pretty consistent year round, though maybe a little cooler, a few degrees lower because of higher altitude (2500 meters as opposed to 2000 meters. Cusco is 3300 meters.)
The photo was taken with the auto-Takumar 55mm f2.

I couldn't get the photo to display. Maybe it only will if you have "space" for uploading photos to the forum.
I think you have two problems, Andrew.

1) You seem to have pasted the image URL in the box meant for inserting internet links in one's forum post. The internet address is placed between [url] tags, not [img] tags. You must have clicked on the icon with the little globe with a chain link below it. You need to use the icon with the picture of a mountain with a red outlined sun over it.

2) But, since the link you inserted doesn't work, I think you might also have not copied the entire address or the correct address for the image. Do not copy the address from the top of the browser page. Right-click on the image itself and then click on the "Copy image address" option. That will put the address you need in the "clipboard" memory. Then if you use the correct icon here at PF, and right-click in the box that comes up and click paste, it should work.
03-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #16209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also a member of canonforums.com (which was created by pentaxforums.com) but they use a very different forum template to this one so I will try your method to see it it works there too.

Update: Yes, it works at canonforums.com too. There is an icon there with mountains which says "Image" when you hover over it and you just past the URL in there and your image is immediately visible.
Update #2: No, it does not work on canonforums.com. It looked OK in the preview but that would be because I am the owner of the image but other forum members could not see it. Something must be different here so we can be happy about that.
03-06-2019, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #16210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

Another cool picture of those Australian ponies
03-06-2019, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #16211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Another cool picture of those Australian ponies
Yeah, we export ponies all around the world.
03-07-2019, 02:17 AM   #16212
Pentaxian

Yes, yes, yes! It works. Of course, I never doubted you, goatsNdonkey, but I am amazed at how simple it is. Thank you showing us this method which I would never have thought of. So, here's an image taken with my K-3 and a Super-Tak 50mm f1.4 (7 element version):

Ray, all I'm seeing is a placeholder rather than the photo. Did you use the long link that starts in this format: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xME6EZ. . . etc.? (Note: that isn't an actual link. The forum insists on highlighting it as if it was, but it's just a shortened example that won't actually take you anywhere.)

If you just copy the URL https://photos.google.com/photo/. . . etc it won't work.

On my Windows 7 machine I have to right click on the photo and go to "Properties", then copy the address from there. Slightly different to the way that works for goatsNdonkey, but the same basic principle.

Or could it be that your photos on Google Photos are set to private?
03-07-2019, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #16213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trying out the Google photos thing. Victoria Hall, Sheffield. K3 with SMC Takumar 50\1.4

03-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #16214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taks are great lenses

I think you have two problems, Andrew.

1) You seem to have pasted the image URL in the box meant for inserting internet links in one's forum post. The internet address is placed between [url] tags, not [img] tags. You must have clicked on the icon with the little globe with a chain link below it. You need to use the icon with the picture of a mountain with a red outlined sun over it.

2) But, since the link you inserted doesn't work, I think you might also have not copied the entire address or the correct address for the image. Do not copy the address from the top of the browser page. Right-click on the image itself and then click on the "Copy image address" option. That will put the address you need in the "clipboard" memory. Then if you use the correct icon here at PF, and right-click in the box that comes up and click paste, it should work.
Thanks, Goats. I did it the way you said and got a different link format, but that link didn't produce the image and didn't even appear in the message until I removed the bracketing tags.
I'll just link to a Flickr photo for as long as I use that app. Since Google Photo doesn't give me anything I don't already have, I'll remove it in the interests of simplification. Also, Google is another company I don't trust.
03-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #16215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
. . . . Also, Google is another company I don't trust.
Had I known, years ago, that Google was going to grow into a giant blob trying to take over the world, I wouldn't have signed up for a gmail account back when they were just a cute, off-beat search engine.

After a series of four free picture hosting services I tried either quit meeting my needs, started charging money, or just disappeared from the internet, I finally tried using Google Photos. For me, it works for hosting pictures for PF, the main reason I need it.

I'm glad my method of using Google Photos helps some others. Sorry, it isn't working for you, Andrew. It might be related to differing operating systems or browser option limitations for different browsers of browser versions.