Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14371 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #16846
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Look into the Takumar 200mm f3.5 (unless you do not prefer preset lenses). I really like mine and they seem to be highly regarded by most owners.
Best.
Agree.

12-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #16847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Look into the Takumar 200mm f3.5 (unless you do not prefer preset lenses). I really like mine and they seem to be highly regarded by most owners.
Best.
Hi, um what do you mean by this part a highlighted? preset lenses?

Thanks!

BB
12-02-2019, 04:40 PM - 2 Likes   #16848
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-10 and Takumars

Auto focus has broken on my K-10, so I have turned it into my Takumar platform. Here is the Takumar 50mm f 1.4 with the K-10. I need to practice more with this kit because I missed focus on almost half my shots today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 12-03-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: To correct information in original post.
12-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #16849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Auto focus has broken on my K-1, so I have turned it into my Takumar platform. Here is the Takumar 50mm f 1.4 with the K-1. I need to practice more with this kit because I missed focus on almost half my shots today.
Nice job.

Don't mistake limitations of the camera and optics and your skill as a photographer. The OVF on the K-1 is not like some film cameras, the focus feedback of the focusing screen just isn't there at all for certain distances. It takes just time to know what aperture and distance to subject you can use that will have a strong likelihood of successful focus. With longer distances I highly recommend you use the Live View screen and magnification.

In summary I can nail f1.4 with a Tak 50 if the focus subject is up to say 2m away. After that distance it becomes harder. To combat this I stop down the further the subject is away, f2-4 for distances 7m+ away, and beyond that its Live View focusing time. I also use a Tenpa 1.22 magnifier which helps somewhat. There is just a point that you can stare down the OVF, have 1.4 or f2 selected and rotate the focus ring and not really see any feedback that is helpful in determining focus, that's not you, that's the systems fault. You cannot get 'better' at that range, you have to adapt instead and change focus methods.

12-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #16850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice job.

Don't mistake limitations of the camera and optics and your skill as a photographer. The OVF on the K-1 is not like some film cameras, the focus feedback of the focusing screen just isn't there at all for certain distances. It takes just time to know what aperture and distance to subject you can use that will have a strong likelihood of successful focus. With longer distances I highly recommend you use the Live View screen and magnification.

In summary I can nail f1.4 with a Tak 50 if the focus subject is up to say 2m away. After that distance it becomes harder. To combat this I stop down the further the subject is away, f2-4 for distances 7m+ away, and beyond that its Live View focusing time. I also use a Tenpa 1.22 magnifier which helps somewhat. There is just a point that you can stare down the OVF, have 1.4 or f2 selected and rotate the focus ring and not really see any feedback that is helpful in determining focus, that's not you, that's the systems fault. You cannot get 'better' at that range, you have to adapt instead and change focus methods.
Thanks for these tips. I will work on putting them in practice.
12-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #16851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for these tips. I will work on putting them in practice.
In trying to implement your suggestions, I have come to a road block in that I am unable to locate live view on my copy of the K-10. I am wondering if I have a very early model that was produced without this particular feature, or perhaps you could provide me with a step-by-step set of instruction on how you engage access it on the K-10.
12-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #16852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In trying to implement your suggestions, I have come to a road block in that I am unable to locate live view on my copy of the K-10. I am wondering if I have a very early model that was produced without this particular feature, or perhaps you could provide me with a step-by-step set of instruction on how you engage access it on the K-10.
Ah my bad, you may have mentioned K-1 earlier in your post and it missed a '0' on the end. Indeed you may only have OVF with the K-10 I don't know.

12-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #16853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah my bad, you may have mentioned K-1 earlier in your post and it missed a '0' on the end. Indeed you may only have OVF with the K-10 I don't know.
Yes, you are perfectly correct. I wrote K-1 when I meant K-10. My K-1 does have live view, which I have not used as much as I should have.
12-03-2019, 02:05 AM - 3 Likes   #16854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A walk around the block with the K-1 & Tak 50/1.4 (8).

12-03-2019, 02:57 AM   #16855
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have come to a road block in that I am unable to locate live view on my copy of the K-10. I am wondering if I have a very early model that was produced without this particular feature, or perhaps you could provide me with a step-by-step set of instruction on how you engage access it on the K-10.
Nope, there's no live view or video on the K10D because the CCD sensor would overheat. But to my mind it's a small price to pay for the sumptuous colour rendering.
12-03-2019, 03:02 AM   #16856
Pentaxian

It's one of the older methods of aperture control used on some of the earlier Takumars. The lens has got two aperture rings, one with click stops and one without. You set the ring with the click stops to the aperture you want to shoot at, then turn the other ring to wide open to focus and compose. When you're ready to shoot, you turn the clickless ring to stop it down again and it stops at the aperture that you've preset on the ring with the click stops.

It's a lot easier to use than it sounds.
12-03-2019, 03:08 AM - 12 Likes   #16857
Pentaxian

The daymark near Kingswear with the defished 17mm. It's a daytime navigation marker built in the 19th Century.

12-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #16858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-10

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Nope, there's no live view or video on the K10D because the CCD sensor would overheat. But to my mind it's a small price to pay for the sumptuous colour rendering.
I gave this K-10 to my daughter several years ago, and she recently returned it because the AF no longer worked. I am just now becoming reacquainted with it, and enjoying the experience of reunion with my first digital camera! I plan to use it for my Takumars, but try some other lenses as well. I have not totally forgotten its gorgeous color rendering since I have a 645D with that same type of sensor.

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 08:16 AM ----------

It's one of the older methods of aperture control used on some of the earlier Takumars. The lens has got two aperture rings, one with click stops and one without. You set the ring with the click stops to the aperture you want to shoot at, then turn the other ring to wide open to focus and compose. When you're ready to shoot, you turn the clickless ring to stop it down again and it stops at the aperture that you've preset on the ring with the click stops.

They are easy to use once you understand how they work, but the first one I had sure was confusing to me!
12-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #16859
Pentaxian

Thanks!

BB
I see @Dartmoor Dave and @ivanvernon have beaten me to the draw! I hope that answered your question.
Best.
12-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #16860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, that's the A/M switch? I think the intention is for it to allows enough light in to see what you're doing as the more stopped down you go with these lenses the darker it gets? I've played a bit with it on the tak 50, the only gripe I have is the switch is recessed in such a way that its quite hard for me to toggle it