Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14371 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #16936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Thanks Albert.

Here's a snap of the SMC Takumar 24mm/3.5 on the K-S1 in TAv mode. As explained above, you can set any shutter speed you want on the camera and any aperture you want on the lens, and the camera will automatically set the ISO for the correct exposure. The aperture setting on the camera always stays at f/1.2, which is the nifty little trick that makes the whole thing work.

Could a mod on a M42 Adapter or something be performed instead of on the camera itself?

12-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #16937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Could a mod on a M42 Adapter or something be performed instead of on the camera itself?
Not to do what Dave has accomplished. He has "tricked" the camera into acting as if the Takumar lens was a fully automatic lens by Telling the camera that the Takumar lens is an f/1.2 lens wide open.
12-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #16938
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Not to do what Dave has accomplished. He has "tricked" the camera into acting as if the Takumar lens was a fully automatic lens by Telling the camera that the Takumar lens is an f/1.2 lens wide open.
Yeh, there can't be something done to the adapter that causes the pins on the camera/mount to be shortened or something? Even if it meant welding more into the M42 adapter to perform that job?
12-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #16939
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeh, there can't be something done to the adapter that causes the pins on the camera/mount to be shortened or something? Even if it meant welding more into the M42 adapter to perform that job?
Further up the thread he lists the pins. Some are open, some are shorted in a complicated pattern. I don't know how you would accomplish that on the adapter itself. If you can figure that out, let us ALL know! An adapter is less expensive that another camera.

12-29-2019, 07:29 PM - 5 Likes   #16940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tak 50
12-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #16941
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Sadly it wouldn't be possible using the "correct" type of adapter that sits flush inside the K mount. It could be done with a "flanged" type adapter, but then you'd lose infinity focus. As Albert says, you really need to have a DSLR body available that you're willing to dedicate as a Takumar only camera.

I've been wondering how much it would cost to get a good machinist to make me a replacement mount for the K-S1, that would short the correct contacts by default and have an M42 thread built in rather than the K bayonet? Then I'd have the world's first native M42 mount DSLR with full autoexposure.
12-30-2019, 02:27 AM   #16942

Tak 50
Thanks for showing all those Takumar shots Bruce, so I don't need to get one.
New favorite lens?

12-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #16943
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly it wouldn't be possible using the "correct" type of adapter that sits flush inside the K mount. It could be done with a "flanged" type adapter, but then you'd lose infinity focus. As Albert says, you really need to have a DSLR body available that you're willing to dedicate as a Takumar only camera.

I've been wondering how much it would cost to get a good machinist to make me a replacement mount for the K-S1, that would short the correct contacts by default and have an M42 thread built in rather than the K bayonet? Then I'd have the world's first native M42 mount DSLR with full autoexposure.
I lean toward Dave's "invention" so that the camera could be reworked for a spare if needed. I only have two M42 lenses in some-regular use, so it's not all that much a hassle to do it the hard way. I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap DSLR.
12-30-2019, 03:15 PM - 4 Likes   #16944
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
Thanks for showing all those Takumar shots Bruce, so I don't need to get one.
New favorite lens?
Yes!! I adore this Takumar 50/1.4 (8 element)! It is by far the most gorgeous 50mm I ever had (previously owning the FA50 and DA50). It really has a 'FA Ltd' feel of resolution, the way the bokeh is presented, the 8 elements can produce utter magic!

I'm at a point right now whether I keep my Velvet 56, they are both similar FL, the velvet has macro but I can't help feeling I prefer the magic in the bokeh more from the Takumar. If anything I think I'd like to swap my Velvet 56 with the Velvet 85, just so that I still have the benefits of the Velvet but at another focal length. My only complaint sometimes with the lensbaby range is that the effect they can put out can be too strong at times, the Tak 50 feels like it strikes a really nice balance between the two spectrums.

Having said that, I reckon my FA43 would give the Tak a run for its money. My intention is to do some deeper comparisons between the two early next year and report back. That's my feeling anyway, basically if someone already has a FA43 then they could possibly pass on this. You could for example own a FA31, FA77 and if you find this Tak 50 at a good price then I think that would actually be a wonderful prime set that covers those FL! Just be aware that there is a cheaper takumar 50/1.4 (7 element) which is apparently not as good (though I have not tested it nor seen enough to compare well enough to comment).

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I lean toward Dave's "invention" so that the camera could be reworked for a spare if needed. I only have two M42 lenses in some-regular use, so it's not all that much a hassle to do it the hard way. I am keeping my eyes open for a cheap DSLR.
My issue is that the Takumar lenses are FF. I strongly believe using them on FF camera gives the best results, they are similar to the FA ltds in that much of the magic is occurring at the edges on FF. I've only put my Tak 50 once or twice on my KP and it doesn't stay on long before coming back to the K-1, so this hack for me is a cool idea but really I'd want to hack a K-1. And honestly... might do it one day if I can pick up a second hand K-1 at a good price.

My one complaint from Pentax is that there exists too many similar camera bodies with duplicated features. On the K-1 and KP I have focus peaking twice, Astro twice, pixelshift twice, tilt screens twice, etc etc. How much of difference is there really between the KP and K-70? 5 User modes vs 3? A better grip? (Talking about grip... i put up with the small grip on the KP for far too long, over here they sold the KP with just that grip and you had to buy other grips separately if you wanted them. Now that I have the large grip I don't feel the ergonomics of the KP is anything to really moan about, and this is coming from a K-1 user which is possibly the most beautiful camera to hold... ever... period! I really feel Pentax did a disservice with the KP for selling it as standard with the small grip. It should have rolled out with the Large one and then I think the K-70 wouldn't have been necessary at all! Rant over).

What I fantasise about is Pentax releasing a no frills no AF FF Digital Camera specifically built around the idea of using old manual focus glass (and modern mf glass). It needn't have a LCD even, just a film like camera with a really good focusing screen and ability to perhaps shoot RAW and Jpg with Custom Image of just Flat, Film Reversal and Mono or something... The idea is that the body is cheaply priced, does away with much tech and features and instead enhances the shooting experience of users who enjoy engaging more with their camera (focus ring) and better OVF/Focus screen.

I have heard of people changing focus screens, but there seems to be regrets and some drawbacks when it comes to using the camera 'normally' again (with AF glass etc). So if Pentax never release my dream budget FF camera then I really think a second K-1 with a replaced focus screen and Dave's shortened pin hack might be the way to go!

Last edited by BruceBanner; 12-31-2019 at 04:07 AM.
12-30-2019, 03:41 PM - 4 Likes   #16945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super Tak 105/2.8 on *ist D:
12-30-2019, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #16946
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

. . . . What I fantasise about is Pentax releasing a no frills no AF FF Digital Camera specifically built around the idea of using old manual focus glass (and modern mf glass). It needn't have a LCD even, just a film like camera with a really good focusing screen and ability to perhaps shoot RAW and Jpg with Custom Image of just Flat, Film Reversal and Mono or something... The idea is that the body is cheaply priced, does away with much tech and features and instead enhances the shooting experience of users who enjoy engaging more with their camera (focus ring) and better OVF/Focus screen. . . .
I'd settle for an insert, or replacement "film door" you could install on a Pentax K1000, that would turn IT into that fantasy non-AF FF Digital camera!

12-31-2019, 02:25 AM   #16947
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I'd settle for an insert, or replacement "film door" you could install on a Pentax K1000, that would turn IT into that fantasy non-AF FF Digital camera!

+1 to that.
12-31-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #16948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The gate actually was red.

Super Takumar 135mm 1/250 @ f11.0 ISO 200

Olympus OM-D E-M1.1
Processed from RAW and background dropped to B&W in PSE
Attached Images

12-31-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #16949
Pentaxian

A quick "heads up":

I've tried the TAv mod on my Samsung GX-10 version of the K10D, but it doesn't work on that camera as far as I can tell so far. Perhaps the firmware on different models reacts in different ways? Anyway, it was worth a try and there's no harm done to the camera.

So I can confirm that it definitely works on the K-S1, but that's the only camera that I can guarantee at the moment.
12-31-2019, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #16950
Pentaxian

Pentax ES, S-M-C Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens, Kodak TMax 100 film

Tavistock Square (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity