Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14371 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2020, 06:56 AM - 5 Likes   #17116

Takumar Sunday Sunrise

I just got an adapter for my M42 lens. I’m pretty much blown away by the colors.

This is the SMC Tak 45-125mm on my K1.

Only thing I did in Lightroom was lift shadows, increase exposure and crop, but the shot was pleasing before I did those things.

This is really what it looked like outside this morning. (The blue sky was my first shot...before the sky exploded with color).

Attached Images

03-01-2020, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #17117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should explain why so many CN fans adapt Taks.
03-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #17118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
CN? Oh! Canon-Nikon?
03-01-2020, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #17119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tak 50 (8E)

03-01-2020, 04:08 PM - 9 Likes   #17120

The Eminija Mounds

The largest and most numerous mounds group in South Dakota.
SMC Tak 70-150mm. K1
Attached Images

Last edited by MKohoutek; 03-13-2020 at 10:29 AM.
03-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #17121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MXLX Quote
CN? Oh! Canon-Nikon?
You got it!
03-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #17122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You got it!
More commonly referred to as CaNikon, which many regard as derogatory as it implies they're sheep who only buy what others tell them to.

I'd rather they use unmodified Taks than butcher K-mount lenses.

03-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #17123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
More commonly referred to as CaNikon, which many regard as derogatory as it implies they're sheep who only buy what others tell them to.

I'd rather they use unmodified Taks than butcher K-mount lenses.
No joke. I've seen a couple mount-modified aspheric 15/3.5s on eBay. Makes me sad.
03-02-2020, 10:58 AM - 5 Likes   #17124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sunny Sunday in Socal - S-M-C Tak 20/4.5 on K10D:
03-03-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #17125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A sunny Sunday in Socal - S-M-C Tak 20/4.5 on K10D:

You've definitely got the Tak 20 rendering there, Paul.

A combination of factors means that I've put my Takumars into retirement for the timebeing. The state of my eyesight means that I was missing focus too often, which is a real age-related downer after decades of pride in my ability to nail focus without even needing to think about it. I've also been getting more and more reluctant to carry anything more than one camera with one lens. And, much as I hate to admit it, the Super Takumar 20mm isn't enough in itself to cover every single photo opportunity.

So I think I've got to that stage of life when an autofocus zoom is probably the best way to go. I never thought I'd ever say that, but there it is.
03-03-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #17126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

A combination of factors means that I've put my Takumars into retirement for the timebeing. The state of my eyesight means that I was missing focus too often, which is a real age-related downer after decades of pride in my ability to nail focus without even needing to think about it. I've also been getting more and more reluctant to carry anything more than one camera with one lens. And, much as I hate to admit it, the Super Takumar 20mm isn't enough in itself to cover every single photo opportunity.

So I think I've got to that stage of life when an autofocus zoom is probably the best way to go. I never thought I'd ever say that, but there it is.
Old eyes are a problem, but sometimes the solution is surprisingly great. In 2007 my eyes were acting like fuzz filters. Combined with 20/450 eyesight the world was no where to be seen sometimes. Then I was sent for cataract surgery both eyes. Suddenly I was able to see like I had never seen in my life at distance. The only glasses I needed were for reading and other close up work. This may not be your problem, but if it is, go for it. 20 minutes while the ophthalmologist takes out the bad lenses and puts in plastic ones and all of a sudden you can see.

I know full well that not every one has a simple solution. My wife's retinas are giving her trouble, and that is not an easy solution.
03-03-2020, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #17127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Old eyes are a problem, but sometimes the solution is surprisingly great. In 2007 my eyes were acting like fuzz filters. Combined with 20/450 eyesight the world was no where to be seen sometimes. Then I was sent for cataract surgery both eyes. Suddenly I was able to see like I had never seen in my life at distance. The only glasses I needed were for reading and other close up work. This may not be your problem, but if it is, go for it. 20 minutes while the ophthalmologist takes out the bad lenses and puts in plastic ones and all of a sudden you can see.

I know full well that not every one has a simple solution. My wife's retinas are giving her trouble, and that is not an easy solution.

Thanks Albert. I know a couple of people who have had their eyes fixed, and it's made a huge difference for them. At the moment I'm at a frustrating point where my eyes are bad enough that manual focusing has become hit-or-miss in a way that it's never been for me before, but they aren't really at the point yet where surgery is justified (which is a decision that only the NHS gets to make, not me since I can't afford to go private).

I can still focus fine with a dioptre using the big bright viewfinder of a film SLR, but with the smaller and darker viewfinders in my APS-C DSLRs I've started missing focus often enough that it's become an issue. And nowadays, after I've stopped down to the shooting aperture with my Taks, it feels like I'm shooting blind. It isn't a problem that's come on suddenly; it's been creeping up on me for a few years, but until now the incidences of really obviously missed focus weren't happening so often. There have been a few shots that I've posted here in the Takumar Club over the past couple of years where I knew I'd missed focus slightly but figured I'd gotten away with it. But lately I've been missing focus more often and more obviously.

None of this is in any way a criticism of Takumars. I still think, and always will think, that they've got the most beautiful rendering style of any lenses ever made. And hopefully at some point in the not-too-distant future some kind surgeon will decide it's time to put me under the knife, and then maybe I'll be able to enjoy my Taks again.
03-03-2020, 10:42 AM - 6 Likes   #17128
Forum Member

My new audio-setup
Super Takumar 50/1,4

03-03-2020, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #17129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Dave, it's a gorgeous lens (but you knew that!) Sorry to hear about your vision. You've probably already tried the VF magnifier I presume? I use reading glasses, and have trained myself to use them when shooting. It took some adjusting, but its not a problem anymore and a huge help when doing manual focus. Best of luck!
03-03-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #17130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Albert. I know a couple of people who have had their eyes fixed, and it's made a huge difference for them. At the moment I'm at a frustrating point where my eyes are bad enough that manual focusing has become hit-or-miss in a way that it's never been for me before, but they aren't really at the point yet where surgery is justified (which is a decision that only the NHS gets to make, not me since I can't afford to go private).

I can still focus fine with a dioptre using the big bright viewfinder of a film SLR, but with the smaller and darker viewfinders in my APS-C DSLRs I've started missing focus often enough that it's become an issue. And nowadays, after I've stopped down to the shooting aperture with my Taks, it feels like I'm shooting blind. It isn't a problem that's come on suddenly; it's been creeping up on me for a few years, but until now the incidences of really obviously missed focus weren't happening so often. There have been a few shots that I've posted here in the Takumar Club over the past couple of years where I knew I'd missed focus slightly but figured I'd gotten away with it. But lately I've been missing focus more often and more obviously.

None of this is in any way a criticism of Takumars. I still think, and always will think, that they've got the most beautiful rendering style of any lenses ever made. And hopefully at some point in the not-too-distant future some kind surgeon will decide it's time to put me under the knife, and then maybe I'll be able to enjoy my Taks again.
Changed the focus screen? I'm using a Canon S Type that I find is easier to see what's what. Failing that invest in a Zacuto Pro Viewfinder Kit? Zacuto Pro Viewfinder Kit - Customized for K-1 or K-1ii - "REDUCED PRICE" - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Josslen Quote
My new audio-setup
Super Takumar 50/1,4

Love these series of images, gorgeous!