Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2021, 07:22 AM - 9 Likes   #17776
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 402
SMC Takumar 55mm f/2



05-05-2021, 11:50 AM - 6 Likes   #17777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,324
Super Tak 35/3.5 on K10D (I love this combo!)

05-06-2021, 06:17 AM - 4 Likes   #17778
Senior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 112
Hello, everyone!
I got into DSLR photography two months ago after only having used a smartphone camera before, and getting to grips with the new hobby has taken up a very decent amount of my free time since then
I decided to go Pentax due to the large range of cheap but decent vintage glass which was stabilized thanks to IBIS, and due to the reputation for very decent image quality and rugged build. To start off, I got myself a K10D, a digital camera from 2007 and one of the last with a CCD sensor, and was surprised and very happy with the images I got out of it

In terms of Takumar, I'm still a novice, counting "only" a Super Takumar 135mm F/3.5 and a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm F/1.8 among my posessions, since as a student, my budget is limited.

I haven't used them much, but so far I am very taken with the colour reproduction of the 135mm Takumar to my eye its far more pleasing than the more modern Sigma 28-200mm zoom I compared it to for nature photography. Here are two images I liked most:





I would love to get my hands on a wide-angle Takumar and even faster 85mm/135mm Takumars some time in the future. One can dream....
05-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #17779
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,835
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
I would love to get my hands on a wide-angle Takumar and even faster 85mm/135mm Takumars some time in the future. One can dream....
Keep the dream alive!

On a note re the faster 135mm = there are two versions of the takumar 135/2.5 (the fastest 135mm tak)... I have the first version and love it. Reviews and literature suggest that the 2nd version is "better"... I suggest you go for either; they're definitively nicer than the 135/3.5 (I have it as well).

While on Takumars, do not neglect other M42 mount lenses... There's a ton out there... you might be able to get a Panagor 90/2.8 macro (ok not a 1.4 or 1.8 but close) - this lens is great and under the radar (careful as it was made in many mounts), also under $100 with some patience... Sky is the limit!

05-06-2021, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #17780
Senior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Keep the dream alive!

On a note re the faster 135mm = there are two versions of the takumar 135/2.5 (the fastest 135mm tak)... I have the first version and love it. Reviews and literature suggest that the 2nd version is "better"... I suggest you go for either; they're definitively nicer than the 135/3.5 (I have it as well).

While on Takumars, do not neglect other M42 mount lenses... There's a ton out there... you might be able to get a Panagor 90/2.8 macro (ok not a 1.4 or 1.8 but close) - this lens is great and under the radar (careful as it was made in many mounts), also under $100 with some patience... Sky is the limit!
Thanks alot for the advice! Didn't know about the Panagor 90 so far, and I don't have a "true" macro lens so far, so I'll keep my eye on eBay
Aside from the two Takumars, I also have an Industar 50 50mm F/3.5 from a Zenit E, and the insane Pentacon 300mm F/4. There are so many interesting vintage lenses, the Helios 44 and Jupiter 9 are on my wishlist as well.

But for this month, I'm trying to keep my Gear Acquisition Syndrome in check, and "only" save up for a K-3 ii since it would be a huge upgrade over the K10D for my birdhunting purposes, especially with live view for better focussing of manual lenses.
05-06-2021, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #17781
Pentaxian
edom31's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Garden City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,835
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
But for this month, I'm trying to keep my Gear Acquisition Syndrome in check, and "only" save up for a K-3 ii since it would be a huge upgrade over the K10D for my birdhunting purposes, especially with live view for better focussing of manual lenses.
I shoot with a K-50... My "used" dream dSLR at the moment is also a K-3ii - I'll get one someday. Feel free to DM anytime if you want more info on any old manual lens...
05-06-2021, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #17782
Pentaxian
Thagomizer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 1,920
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Macro Tak 50/4








Nice colour and clarity. That first one really says "Springtime!"

05-06-2021, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #17783
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,857
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Hello, everyone!
I got into DSLR photography two months ago after only having used a smartphone camera before, and getting to grips with the new hobby has taken up a very decent amount of my free time since then
I decided to go Pentax due to the large range of cheap but decent vintage glass which was stabilized thanks to IBIS, and due to the reputation for very decent image quality and rugged build. To start off, I got myself a K10D, a digital camera from 2007 and one of the last with a CCD sensor, and was surprised and very happy with the images I got out of it

In terms of Takumar, I'm still a novice, counting "only" a Super Takumar 135mm F/3.5 and a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm F/1.8 among my posessions, since as a student, my budget is limited.

I haven't used them much, but so far I am very taken with the colour reproduction of the 135mm Takumar to my eye its far more pleasing than the more modern Sigma 28-200mm zoom I compared it to for nature photography. Here are two images I liked most:





I would love to get my hands on a wide-angle Takumar and even faster 85mm/135mm Takumars some time in the future. One can dream....
These are excellent images. Enjoy shooting takumars (and other lenses), it's a great way to get into photography (I started out with a Canon EF and manual lenses when I was a student).
05-07-2021, 01:19 AM - 2 Likes   #17784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 991
A couple of years back I seem to remember reading somewhere that Pentax had made around 35 million lenses - enjoy.

I started out long long ago, my first "good" single lens reflex was an m42 screw mount Yashica bought around 1962/3 with a 50mm F2.0 lens, only the other day I discovered that the lens is thought to have been made for Yashica by Tomioka the legendary lens maker, still works perfectly, you learn something every day. My first Digital SLR was the Pentax K200D the last of the Pentax CCD sensors, still works great, I don't think CMOS sensor quality caught up with that from a CCD until the K70, but that of course is my personal opinion.

May I suggest that, if you have not already done so, you wander over to YouTube and look at the excellent videos produced by Utak and vyoufinder who show interesting aspects of lens design and other photographic subjects.

There is also a guy called Steve O'Nions, from somewhere in the North of England who covers many aspects of photography both film and digital and shows that even in the worst of weather good photography is still possible.

Those three produce, in my opinion, really solid information with none of the "Hey look at me I'm great" carry on of so many YouTuber's.

Take care.
05-07-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #17785
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,334
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
… "only" save up for a K-3 ii …
I suppose it’s a good time to go hunting for used Pentax APS-C bodies right now.
05-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #17786
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,857
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I suppose it’s a good time to go hunting for used Pentax APS-C bodies right now.
Indeed, I wouldn't mind a used K3ii.
05-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #17787
Senior Member
blankmampf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Lübeck
Posts: 112
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
A couple of years back I seem to remember reading somewhere that Pentax had made around 35 million lenses - enjoy.

I started out long long ago, my first "good" single lens reflex was an m42 screw mount Yashica bought around 1962/3 with a 50mm F2.0 lens, only the other day I discovered that the lens is thought to have been made for Yashica by Tomioka the legendary lens maker, still works perfectly, you learn something every day. My first Digital SLR was the Pentax K200D the last of the Pentax CCD sensors, still works great, I don't think CMOS sensor quality caught up with that from a CCD until the K70, but that of course is my personal opinion.

May I suggest that, if you have not already done so, you wander over to YouTube and look at the excellent videos produced by Utak and vyoufinder who show interesting aspects of lens design and other photographic subjects.

There is also a guy called Steve O'Nions, from somewhere in the North of England who covers many aspects of photography both film and digital and shows that even in the worst of weather good photography is still possible.

Those three produce, in my opinion, really solid information with none of the "Hey look at me I'm great" carry on of so many YouTuber's.

Take care.
I've come across Utak as well in my research about good vintage lenses
He has so many treasures, it's always making me jealous, and a bit disheartened when I look at their prices on eBay.

Thanks for the suggestions of vyoufinder and Steve O'Nions, I'll be sure to take a look at their channels later on today.

Two more I've really enjoyed are snappiness (his review about the K10D, and some of the Pentax lenses were what persuaded me to go Pentax), and Azriel Knight, who is all about film photography.
Krolop & Gerst also have very interesting and in-depth talks about lenses in their "Objektivreihe", however it's German only. Great if you speak the language (or subtitles are sufficient) and want to delve deeper with a very knowledgeable and experienced lens expert.
05-09-2021, 01:09 AM - 2 Likes   #17788
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 1,857
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
I've come across Utak as well in my research about good vintage lenses
He has so many treasures, it's always making me jealous, and a bit disheartened when I look at their prices on eBay.

Thanks for the suggestions of vyoufinder and Steve O'Nions, I'll be sure to take a look at their channels later on today.

Two more I've really enjoyed are snappiness (his review about the K10D, and some of the Pentax lenses were what persuaded me to go Pentax), and Azriel Knight, who is all about film photography.
Krolop & Gerst also have very interesting and in-depth talks about lenses in their "Objektivreihe", however it's German only. Great if you speak the language (or subtitles are sufficient) and want to delve deeper with a very knowledgeable and experienced lens expert.
Ooh, I'll check out Krolop & Gerst. Don't forget about this place if you want to learn about legendary legacy lenses (sorry, I couldn't resist).
05-10-2021, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #17789
Pentaxian
Andrew_Oid's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cuenca
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 542
videos on vintage lenses

Besides Utak, these vlogs on YouTube are good sources of information, all discovered in the past few days: Zenography, PavSZ and Mark Holtze. A word of caution though, if you suffer from GAS, you might want to avoid them.
05-10-2021, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #17790
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,946
QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Hello, everyone!
I got into DSLR photography two months ago after only having used a smartphone camera before, and getting to grips with the new hobby has taken up a very decent amount of my free time since then
I decided to go Pentax due to the large range of cheap but decent vintage glass which was stabilized thanks to IBIS, and due to the reputation for very decent image quality and rugged build. To start off, I got myself a K10D, a digital camera from 2007 and one of the last with a CCD sensor, and was surprised and very happy with the images I got out of it

In terms of Takumar, I'm still a novice, counting "only" a Super Takumar 135mm F/3.5 and a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm F/1.8 among my posessions, since as a student, my budget is limited.

I haven't used them much, but so far I am very taken with the colour reproduction of the 135mm Takumar to my eye its far more pleasing than the more modern Sigma 28-200mm zoom I compared it to for nature photography. Here are two images I liked most:





I would love to get my hands on a wide-angle Takumar and even faster 85mm/135mm Takumars some time in the future. One can dream....
The 135 and 55 you have are good choices. I regard the old glass as much better than just reasonable.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, adjustment, asahi, auto-takumar, camera, d2x, days, ds, eric, f3.5, f4, fisheye, flickr, focus, handle, iq, iso, k3, lens, manor, moves, nikon, pentax lens, post, results, segments, shots, subject, takumar, versions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Takumar: Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 includes case, hood and caps Peter Zack Sold Items 7 05-17-2010 07:12 PM
Adorama is dangerous! And so is the Takumar Club! NaClH2O Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 01-24-2010 09:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: Hard Cases for Takumar 28mm/3.5 and Takumar 135mm/2.5 gabriel_bc Sold Items 8 01-11-2010 10:17 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax-F 28/2.8; Takumar 400/5.6; Takumar 500/4.5 - pics thePiRaTE!! Sold Items 5 03-06-2008 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top