Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have an adapter coming in the mail. Thought I would try it since I've seen so many great shots done with these lenses. I didn't check if it has the flange or not so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I think the super tak 50 1.4 will be the first one I get. Is there a certain serial number that I should look for or any thing else when choosing one of these lenses?

Any recomendations?

07-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

It is very hard to go wrong with a Takumar. Just get whatever strikes your fancy and fits your budget.

It isn't so much a question of which one as it is in what order.....you'll be purchasing others.
07-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oren, I agree with Mike: all screw mount Takumars are excellent lenses. What you get with the different models is more like flavoring -mostly- though formulas did change slightly over time. Pretty much, you have a progression from oldest to newest: Auto -> Super -> Super Multi Coated (S-M-C) -> SMC. S-M-C and SMC woudn't have much difference optically, SMC has an extra feeler in the mount for the full aperture metering of contemporary Spotmatics. The main effect of this is one might think the lens is broken because you can't switch from Auto to Manual when the lens isn't mounted. Otherwise the differences have to do with coatings and cosmetics. There's nothing wrong with the Auto and Super, though they tend to cost less than the multi coated ones.

The other thing to look for is yellowing due to radioactive glass. Not a big deal for me, I actually like the effect. Anyway there's a lot written on the topic.

Here's a nice summary of the Takumars:
Die Cast Pro - Pentax Lenses

Here's a pic of a few 50's:

You can see the older of the 50's, the Super, is more yellowed than the SMC. The 55 isn't yellowed at all (and is a fantastic lens by the way, sharper and less prone to CA than the 50)
The Pentax adaptor is under the Limited.

Here's the Super 50/1.4 on a Program Plus - Yes, I use the Takumars on my K mount film cameras too! They work even better on the Pgm Plus than the K100D - the exposure in auto works great.

07-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for bringing this up, really good to see your Tak-pictures :-)

Recently aquired S-M-C Tak 3.5/28 (on K100D), experimenting with overexposure and shading back in postprocess (still dialing into this lens' potential),

The allround-anything-lens, SMC Tak 1.4/50 (on K100D),

Keep 'em coming,
Georg (the other)

07-09-2008, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

My dad gave me his Spottie and three Super Takumars 10 years ago when he stopped using a SLR. (He still uses a film P&S Pentax auto zoom from the late 1980s.) It is those three taks that kept me with Pentax when I went DSLR. I sold the Spottie with the 35mm F2 a few years back when I first went digital. I regret the loss of the 35mm but the spottie was metering erratically and was a bit banged around. Have since replaced it with a very pristine Spotmatic II. The 35mm Tak is yet to be replaced. I also looked to sell the 50mm and 135 3.5 but no one at the time was interested in purchasing 'useless' M42 glass thank goodness and they have both appreciated in value very nicely.

Anyway here are a couple:
Super Takumar 135 3.5

Super Takumar 50 1.4

Even an autofocus lens would require prefocussing in this situation.
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That last photo is AWESOME Arjay !!
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Whoooooaahhhh Arjay, that last shot is a head turner!

George, your second shot also. All these are great images, love this thread so far.

07-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice work ... love that net casting shot Arjay ... it's a great shot.

I need to get out more with my Taks ... has been a few weeks since i had a chance to touch my gear. I still have my day out delivering with my 28mm f/3.5 on my K10D .... all still on the camera ... I figured out the hyperfocal thing and it seems to have worked a treat when it comes to shooting from the hip on the fly (well .. shooting while driving).
07-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Mike ... stop posting 105mm shots ... i need to have a bit more of a go with mine ... actually it needs a bit of clean first before I really get out with it.

I need to pick up my 35mm from AML as well ... I just haven't had the time.
07-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Takumar 100mm f/4 macro mounted on K100D with Pentax made M42 adaptor.
All these shots were handheld, so not the best representation of the lens abilities.

07-10-2008, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will the Takumar club welcome the most un-loved of lenses, the Takumar (Bayonet) 135 2.5?

I just got back my first roll (black & white) and it's not bad...
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If the name starts with a Tak and ends with an umar, photos are welcome here regardless of the gender in the mount area...
07-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That's a cool shot ... actually looks a little vintage as well with the sepia tones in it.
Either that's a cat big cat on a sign ... or that's a big cat on the wire ... LOL
07-11-2008, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

K10d + super macro takumar 50mm f/4
07-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
That's a cool shot ... actually looks a little vintage as well with the sepia tones in it.
Either that's a cat big cat on a sign ... or that's a big cat on the wire ... LOL
Would you believe I've driven over that road for years and have never seen the cat? I had to enlarge the picture to spot what the heck you were talking about!

I'll have to hunt that thing down and see what it's about. I can tell that it is a "Maneki-neko" (beckoning cat), which is a figurine traditionally used at the entrance of Japanese businesses to invite customers inside. What the heck this one is up to....I have no idea.