Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14371 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #6676
Veteran Member

Last of my coffee shop shots, the bottle is Orange Creme Soda, the blue bokeh is my glass coffee cup

Super MC Takumar 50mm f1.4 wide open

01-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #6677

Photos: Albums

Creek Behind A School by natestation2 - Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5 Fujicolor Film ISO 200

So, awhile back I asked for some help with exposing a Takumar on a film camera (a Canon Elan 7), and I wanted to say a quick thanks to all who replied. I thought I'd share a little of what I came up with. I have to say I'm amazed that film is as high in IQ as it is. I grew up in a digital age so going "analog" is a novelty to me. I've read many articles expounding upon the many advantages of film, but until I opened up my first set of prints I didn't comprehend what those authors were talking about. Not only is film really visually appealing, but getting to use my 28mm as a real 28mm is awesome. And to think I was thinking of selling it...

Frozen Car by natestation2 - Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f/3.5
01-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #6678
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
So you set the camera in Manual mode and press the green button, which tells you what the camera thinks are the best setting for exposure. Then using that as a guide, (with the lens set at M) set the aperture & shutter speed for what you wish to achieve. The switch the lens to A, (if needed due to how much light you are working with), focus, switch the lens back to M and fire....?
In M mode, the Green button locks in the shutter speed based on your manually selected aperture and IS0. I think on the K20, you have to set the Green button to Tv shift, but I'm not sure. (On the K-x, the ev+- button does the same thing.)

But you always keep the lens on M--never A.
01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #6679

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
With lenses that have an auto/manual switch, that's as easy as with the preset lenses:

1) set the aperture
2) flip the switch to auto (-> aperture opens wide)
3) focus
4) flip the switch to manual (-> iris closes to selected aperture)
5) take the shot

This way, there is no need to count clicks or to look at the aperture ring anymore after focusing.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In M mode, the Green button locks in the shutter speed based on your manually selected aperture and IS0. I think on the K20, you have to set the Green button to Tv shift, but I'm not sure. (On the K-x, the ev+- button does the same thing.)

But you always keep the lens on M--never A.
I've ordered the Magic Lantern Guide for the K20D. I will have to see if it has any insight on the best way to use Taks....

01-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #6680
Veteran Member

Ive got a new years project going about using vintage lenses, and Im trying to post a shot a day , the last 5 days have all been about Takumars

dude163's Vintage Lens Gallery

have a look and let me know what you think

Robert
01-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #6681

Here is what I found from Pentax Support.

Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20DQ: Can I use older Pentax lenses on my Pentax DSLR?

A: Yes.

Pentax A-series lenses (with an "A" setting on the aperture ring), can be used as manual-focus lenses in all exposure modes on a Pentax DSLR.

Pentax K-mount, M-series and S (screw) mount lenses without auto-aperture control (an “A” setting on the aperture ring) can be used in Manual exposure mode using stop-down metering and manual focus. This is the exposure mode which will give accurate exposures when using these older lenses on our digital SLRs. If older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring are used in Av (Aperture Priority) Mode, an exposure error may occur.

Note: Using Pentax S (screw) mount lenses on a Pentax DSLR requires the use of a Pentax Mount Adapter B.

To set up your Pentax K10D, K200D or K20D to use older Pentax lenses:

Press the Menu button

Go to Custom Settings
Step down to Green button in TAv & M (K10D/K20D).
Step down to Green button in Manual (K200D)
Press the right arrow and select Tv Shift
Press OK
(This setting allows easy and accurate exposure metering using older lenses without an "A" setting on the aperture ring. When the Green button is pressed in Manual exposure mode, the lens "stops down", the camera's meter measures the light passing through the lens, and an appropriate shutter speed is automatically set based on that measurement).

Step down to Preview Method
Press the right arrow and select Optical Preview
Press OK
(This setting enables the camera to "stop down" the lens to a selected aperture when the On/Off button is rotated clocwise).

Step down to Using aperture ring
Press the right arrow and select Permitted
Press OK.
(This setting allows the camera to operate with older K-mount or S-mount lenses that do not have an “A” setting on the aperture ring).

If Shake Reduction is enabled when using an older lens, you will need to manually select the closest matching focal length from the Shake Reduction (K10D) or Input Focal Length (K20D/K200D) menu. Press the Menu button, step down to Shake Reduction (K10D) or Input Focal Length (K20D/K200D) then press the right arrow. Scroll left and right to select the closest match for the focal length lens you are using. Press OK, then Menu.

Here is the link in case you want to ask for additional info.

Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Pentax Support
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #6682

Photos: Gallery
Today I had a little time to spare on my own. And this is a very rare occasion.
So I took a bunch of Takumars and sat into my car. As the time was 1:30 in the afternoon and the sky was as foggy as it gets I thought that maybe getting on a hill will help and get me some photo taking opportunity. But it just wasn't my lucky day.

Super Takumar 28mm f3.5

Super Takumar 85mm f1.9

01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #6683
Veteran Member

I disagree, it WAS your lucky day, those 2 shots are fantastic and very atmospheric!
01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #6684

Here are a couple shots with the Super Tak 50/1.4 on my E-P2...
Attached Images

01-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #6685
Veteran Member

Nice ones stash!

Here are some from the 50/1.4:

01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #6686

stash

I also disagree and I am with Robert on this.

Last time I have seen fog it disappeared the moment I got to the site where I wanted to take photos.

Last edited by pdophoto; 01-18-2011 at 06:06 PM.
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #6687
Veteran Member

three views on the same type of plant. also with the 50/1.4:

01-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #6688
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote

Wow! That third shot is something. How did you get the fibers (or w/e they are) to glow like that, what sort of PP?
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #6689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Wow! That third shot is something. How did you get the fibers (or w/e they are) to glow like that, what sort of PP?
The glow was actually already there, but I bumped it up a bit with some adjustments to contrast and (with Color Efex Pro) the color contrast as well. Mostly it's just some funky bokeh the trusty 50/1.4 produced.

super 50/1.4
01-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #6690

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Excellent shots dude. My personal favorite is number 1, I think it has the most "electrical" feel to it without sacrificing resolution. Good job.