Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
Mike

what flash do you use when you do your strobist style shots :

would this kit work well on a KX?

Strobist Starving Student SK1 Lighting Kit
How much is that? The price isn't listed when I hit the link.

Also, they show three views of the flash, but does it COME with three? I'm on my iTouch now and the wording seems to be "flash."

My first guess is that it's not worth it, based on the listing alone and not even knowing the price. You have to be real careful buying flash kits on the cheap, because they're usually garbage.

I suggest you do a B&H search for stuff in your budget:

Simply put, B&H doesn't carry the drek (s*it) you'll see for sale elsewhere.

01-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #6707
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Going home

K-x
Super Takumar 55/2
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #6708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
How much is that? The price isn't listed when I hit the link.

Also, they show three views of the flash, but does it COME with three? I'm on my iTouch now and the wording seems to be "flash."

My first guess is that it's not worth it, based on the listing alone and not even knowing the price. You have to be real careful buying flash kits on the cheap, because they're usually garbage.

I suggest you do a B&H search for stuff in your budget:

Simply put, B&H doesn't carry the drek (s*it) you'll see for sale elsewhere.
David Hobby who runs the strobist site is sponsored by midwest and he always sings their praises. I've been using cheap off camera gear for years as does Mike C (correct me if I'm wrong) and the gear looks pretty good for a beginner. Remember that the strobist theory is to use flash manually so these flashes are cheaper as they have no TTL support.

You're blowing off a company that provide beginners and professionals a place to purchase good strobist gear but all you can offer as a more expensive alternative is B&H? I say go even cheaper than Midwest and hit ebay for a 2 light stands, two flashes, trigger/receiver set, softbox and whatever else you need. My ebay gear works fine after years of use.
01-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #6709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
David Hobby who runs the strobist site is sponsored by midwest and he always sings their praises. I've been using cheap off camera gear for years as does Mike C (correct me if I'm wrong) and the gear looks pretty good for a beginner. Remember that the strobist theory is to use flash manually so these flashes are cheaper as they have no TTL support.

You're blowing off a company that provide beginners and professionals a place to purchase good strobist gear but all you can offer as a more expensive alternative is B&H? I say go even cheaper than Midwest and hit ebay for a 2 light stands, two flashes, trigger/receiver set, softbox and whatever else you need. My ebay gear works fine after years of use.
Midwest isn't a very Pentax friendly company. Not to mention the one time I went in their store they were a bunch of A-holes.

01-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #6710
Veteran Member

Pentax friendly? A manual flash doesn't care which camera it's mounted on or cares even less when it's off camera with triggers. I use a vivitar 285HV and a sunpak (for canon) for off camera lighting and they work just fine with my K10D and K-r. I can mount the Vivitar but not the sunpak but I use it as a slave. As for midwest staff being a-holes, you can always shop online.
01-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #6711
Veteran Member

David Hobby has financial reasons to sing the praises of Midwest. While I admire what he has done to promote getting portable and inexpensive lighting gear used in a variety of situations I am not one of the people who fawningly view him with God-like reverence.

In the past I have looked over the Midwest strobist kits and was never able to find one that I thought was just what I needed and with good gear at a reasonable price.

What I have done is search auctions for old flashes that fit my needs. I now have about five and paid between $10 and $30 each. I have one light stand that I paid about $40 for. When I need a second stand I use my travel tripod, or sometimes even a monopod.....or even handhold the flash. I throw the flashes into a cheap $10 nylon fanny pack, which also carries spare batteries (eneloops). Umbrella holders are cheap, as are umbrellas. The most expensive components I use are Flash Waves triggers. I started with cheap eBay triggers but their short range and horrible reliability led me to quickly replace them with something better. The gold standard of radio triggers are Pocket Wizards but those are entirely out of the question for me. Fortunately, these days there are several middle-ground options between the two extremes. As David Hobby suggests, this is the one area where you will eventually want something reliable and will spend a few $$$ for it.
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #6712
Veteran Member

My reason for not jumping on the strobist bandwagon is that I want my pictures to have the *dude163* look, not the strobist or a photo instructors look , and so far Im happy to have slightly different stuff to others in our hobby

But saying that , off camera flash is what i want to try , so manual is OK, I think Ill do what Mike did, by some cheapish gear and spend good money on the important stuff, the one thing that MPEX does is convenience, yo pay teh bucks and its all in 1 package

Ill check the local want ads, heck thats where i got my tak 28 and tak 55 for 20 each!

Thanks for all the input gang!
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #6713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4
30 second exposure f/1.4 ISO 6400
taken by starlight only
The Sandy River flooded last Sunday and this is the first chance I have had to upload a picture. Finally hiked out, about a mile, to the nearest road where we could park a car. The power came back late yesterday, phone maybe soon. The road will likely be closed weeks to months. This means a daily hike through the woods of about a mile to get the car.

I won't claim any artistic qualities with this, frankly I was amazed it turned out as well as it did. No PP except to resize as I don't have access to the computer at home yet, only my laptop. 30 second exposure looking at a dark river, could only tell what was in the frame after it completed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by jatrax; 01-21-2011 at 05:03 PM.
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #6714
Veteran Member

All you need is one old flash with some manual power adjustments and some way of remotely firing it. Everything else can be cobbled together on an as-you-go basis.

If I had to recommend a good flash for the money, I would suggest looking at the old Pentax AF200T. Good controls in a small package for a low price (the Strobist fanatics haven't discovered it and driven the prices up). Some people knock it for being low powered, but somehow I don't think they're people who own and use one.

I will add that strongly influencing my choice of Flash Waves were their integrated hotshoes and tripod mount holes. When selecting a trigger system it is important to carefully examine the mechanics of how everything mounts and plugs up. Some require adapters and/or leave you with bits dangling by cables. This is your biggest single expense so spend the most time and give it the most examination and care when deciding what is best for your needs.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 01-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #6715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
My reason for not jumping on the strobist bandwagon is that I want my pictures to have the *dude163* look, not the strobist or a photo instructors look , and so far Im happy to have slightly different stuff to others in our hobby

But saying that , off camera flash is what i want to try , so manual is OK, I think Ill do what Mike did, by some cheapish gear and spend good money on the important stuff, the one thing that MPEX does is convenience, yo pay teh bucks and its all in 1 package

Ill check the local want ads, heck thats where i got my tak 28 and tak 55 for 20 each!

Thanks for all the input gang!
Yeah there's the strobist feel but you'll add the dude163 look no matter what because you're still taking the shot. If you're just starting out, buy the cheap gear and learn with that, then if and when they break, replace them with better gear. Good luck and off camera flash opens up a new world of experimentation and development.
01-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #6716
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Hi Mike,

The Duluth Aerial Lift bridge was constructed as an aerial ferry bridge back in 1904-1905, then changed to a lift bridge 1929-1930. Here is a link to some of the bridge's history.
Duluth's Area Lift Bridge
Thanks very much. I thought I recognized that bridge. I first learned of it from this 1908 photo posted on Shorpy last October.

Pentax K20D
Takumar 105/2.8 (Preset)

I picked up a K-5 today, by the way. Now I have to get used to the controls on the thing. On very short acquaintance it looks like thanks to the high ISO performance I should be able to get from three to four more stops out of it than I have from the K20D, which since I shoot all day long should add quite a bit of time onto the early morning and early evening for me. I'm eager to get to work again and see just how much it expands my shooting hours....which is really what I bought it for.

I'll be damned glad when my Katz-Eye gets here and I can get that godawful stock focusing screen out of it. Maybe I'll have it in a week or so.
01-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #6717
Ira
Inactive Account

Did you even bother reading my entire post, or check to confirm what I mentioned?

The listing only says FLASH, not FLASHES.

So if that's the case, and it's $379 for what you're getting, yeah:

I'm blowing that off.

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote

01-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #6718
Veteran Member

One Chinese flash, connected up by PC cable, some assorted crap.....$379. No thanks for me too, Ira.

I tried to get my wife to get my new camera for me yesterday while I was still stuck at work so she could charge up batteries for me and I could go out and take advantage of the full moon, but she was not in a cooperative mood. So by the time I finished work, went and bought the camera, got home and charged up the batteries it was too late, too cold, and I'm too tired (haven't laid down fully horizontal in three days) to go out and do anything tonight.

So I did what everybody does in a situation like this: I took pictures of crap on my desk.

Too early to be sure about all the ISOs, but 12800 is looking promising. Here are crops of a couple of shots through the Auto-Takumar 55/2. One pair at f2 and one pair at f8, with no processing other than resize in IrfanView (and save as jpg) and then as run through NoiseWare on the default setting. Light in the room is a single florescent donut in a ceiling fixture. Forgive the focus, please. Shutter speeds were 1/400 and 1/20.

This looks to me like what ISO800 looks like on my K20D.
01-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #6719
Ira
Inactive Account

All you have to do now is change your schedule and start working the NIGHT shift.

Those pretty girls on the street won't stand a chance!
01-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #6720
Veteran Member

Those "pretty girls at night " remind me of Aldo Novas *fantasy* song from the 80s