Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14370 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #7081
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey guys,
regarding the 50mm 1.4...I notice there some are "multi-coated" and some are not...which one is better to get ??

02-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #7082
Veteran Member

thanks guys!

cdnkit, I prefer the multicoated one
02-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #7083
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cdnkit Quote
Hey guys,
regarding the 50mm 1.4...I notice there some are "multi-coated" and some are not...which one is better to get ??
I've got the Super-Takumar 50/1.4, this is a great lens, but use a hood...

Super-Tak 50/1.4 at 100% you can see detail inside the car...

Details
02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #7084
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
thanks guys!

cdnkit, I prefer the multicoated one
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I've got the Super-Takumar 50/1.4, this is a great lens, but use a hood...

Super-Tak 50/1.4 at 100% you can see detail inside the car...

Details
Ok, but is the difference between the two will be noticeable in the final photo ?

02-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #7085
Pentaxian

The old Auto Tak 55/f2 wide open

Great for portrait

Great colors as well. Boked might be a bit busy to my taste

Last edited by ducdao; 02-15-2011 at 06:54 AM.
02-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #7086
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The old Auto Tak 55/f2 wide open

Great for portrait

Great colors as well. Boked might be a bit busy to my taste
I find your photography very satisfying and rich. Well done!
02-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #7087
Inactive Account

Ok, but is the difference between the two will be noticeable in the final photo ?
Well... that's a whole different ballgame. Having something you see on your screen printed 100% true at a local printer or even on your printer is a challenge due to so many variables, some of which would be brightness and contrast of your screen, the paper used, inks, etc etc etc.

If you were to ask, "if I PP images from both lenses exactly to look the same, and then print each of them, would there be a noticeable difference in the final photo", the short answer would be no. But whether the final print will look exactly like what you see on your screen, the short answer would be, probably not.

02-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #7088
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Well... that's a whole different ballgame. Having something you see on your screen printed 100% true at a local printer or even on your printer is a challenge due to so many variables, some of which would be brightness and contrast of your screen, the paper used, inks, etc etc etc.

If you were to ask, "if I PP images from both lenses exactly to look the same, and then print each of them, would there be a noticeable difference in the final photo", the short answer would be no. But whether the final print will look exactly like what you see on your screen, the short answer would be, probably not.
Well, that's answering the question. I thought that maybe the color rendering would have been slightly different due to the "multi-coated" treatment.

On the other hand, I just bought a mint Super Tak 55mm 1.8 on Ebay this morning...
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #7089
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mglowe Quote
Tele-Takumar 300 6.3

I dig all of your tele photos!

A couple of questions, that guy on the driving range is going past parallel and why is his glove on the right hand?

Seriously, I just acquired a tokina/vivitar 300/5.5 with a tripod mount, are you hand holding all your shots? I've capture a couple of decent photos handheld but I can see my shaking...
02-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #7090
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that's answering the question. I thought that maybe the color rendering would have been slightly different due to the "multi-coated" treatment.

On the other hand, I just bought a mint Super Tak 55mm 1.8 on Ebay this morning...
I love my Super, but generally wish I also had the Super MC. I can't tell if it's the difference in rendering between the lenses, or the difference in the talents of the shooters!

Basically, whatever you can get a good price on, go for it. It seems that on eBay, the 50 1.4s have come down a bit in price over the past week. If I ever start working again, I'll be adding the other 1.4 to my collection.

Ironically, the 1.8 you bought is spectacular in its own way, with many considering it sharper than the 1.4. Here are two I did with my 1.8 awhile back, and considering I got it mint a year ago for 10 bucks, I'm pleased:

02-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #7091

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I love my Super, but generally wish I also had the Super MC. I can't tell if it's the difference in rendering between the lenses, or the difference in the talents of the shooters!

Basically, whatever you can get a good price on, go for it. It seems that on eBay, the 50 1.4s have come down a bit in price over the past week. If I ever start working again, I'll be adding the other 1.4 to my collection.
It depends on what "down" means. A cursory look at completed auctions in eBay US shows six SMC 50/1.4 lenses going for USD 140 to 160+ (or GBP equivalent) if I've counted right. That's double what I paid for my Super Tak. Sometimes I do wish the digital shooters would buy more Super Tak examples, because coatings-wise I think those are quite good enough, and the open-aperture metering pins on the SMC are wasted on a digi. I want to get the SMC for its actual original intended use (open-aperture metering on my Spottie ESII, which my Super Tak version can't do), but the prices are more than I'm willing to pay. So for now, the ESII is stuck with the bog-standard 55/1.8! (No slouch, as pointed out above.)
--Dave
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #7092

I love my Super
Your #1 is super sharp, colours are great, bokeh is creamy. Very good.

+1 I also love my Super

Hot wheels "Med Evil".
K200d, Super Takumar 55/1.8
Strobist: Softbox 50cm YN460II CL at 38cm pwr=1/1. YN460II gridded snout CR at 28cm pwr=1/4. K200D, Super Takumar 55mm, extension 19mm, 1/4sec, f11, iso100
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #7093
Inactive Account

Ironically, the 1.8 you bought is spectacular in its own way, with many considering it sharper than the 1.4. Here are two I did with my 1.8 awhile back, and considering I got it mint a year ago for 10 bucks, I'm pleased:

Wow ! Incredible I agree !! Very nice detail there ! Now can't wait to receive mine ! This will be my first Tak...I receive the adapter the other day...then I will give it a try ! Gee..I'm feel like a young boy at Chrismast.
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #7094

Gee..I'm feel like a young boy at Chrismast.
You want to see how it is? Have a look at Takumar - a set on Flickr for a few example
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #7095
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave--you're right. After just looking, the prices are again through the roof--with one Super having recently been sold for like $170!!!

But I'm telling you-- last week, some people picked some up for very decent prices, $65 to $75.

I guess it's all about timing.

The $170 for a regular Super, not 1st generation, really shocked me.

---------- Post added 02-15-11 at 01:47 PM ----------

Wow ! Incredible I agree !! Very nice detail there ! Now can't wait to receive mine ! This will be my first Tak...I receive the adapter the other day...then I will give it a try ! Gee..I'm feel like a young boy at Chrismast.
You're really going to have fun with it, and since you posted about this, I stuck my 55 1.8 on there again to use for the next few days.

We all shoot different, and I only shoot with the M42s...just one lens at a time for days...and only carry multiple lenses when I'm shooting for a specific event or purpose. I always, always have my camera with me, because my weather allows it, and I am so in love with these lenses that it's hard to explain the "bonding" experience and sometimes indecision on which one to shoot with during any extended period of time.