Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14364 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #7501
Inactive Account

Super-Takumar 50 1.4

I've had this lens for a couple months now, the glass was initially a bit dim and amber in color. Even the images took on an amber tint. I've put it under both natural sunlight and artificial light, reading at one time this would help remove the amber tint. Granted I have never left this on my window sill for more than a few hours but it does seem clearer and when you look directly through the lens it does look completely clear now. But when viewing lens from any other angle the Amber color is still obviously there.

Metering when compared to my smc-f 50/1.4 lens, it still needs a bit bump and does not meter the same. Does this mean, it still has a ways to go before all the amber tint is gone? and does the amber tint ever 100% gone...

(Excuse me, but this photo was taken with an m 35/2.8)

03-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #7502
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi I need help finding a uv bath in which to cure a lens that has yellowed with age. The lens in question is a fifty however id like to use it for bigger lenses as well. Would appreciate a link to something suitable. Thanks
03-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #7503

Photos: Albums
You may be needing an appliance I'm not familiar with (uv bath). But if you are trying to clear it by any method, this method works perfectly. All you need to do is wrap that lens in foil and angle the lens right into the sun long enough to clear it. Keep changing the angle as the sun changes location. Here in Texas, in the summer, it only takes a couple of days to clear a lens. I usually alternate back and front elements so that each side gets to meet the sun head on. I cover the end farthest from the sun with foil too. I don’t know if that is really necessary. I did discover that taking the foil off of the back end during the last three or four hours of the process seemed to take care of the last lingering bit of yellow. I’m not sure what’s going on with that, but it doesn’t matter. Always keep the barrel of the lens wrapped in foil in any case. The lens will become firecracker hot if you don’t.

I thought I’d not comment again on the same subject (nature) especially because it’s a huge topic with thousands of years of commentary and specialized vocabularies just to attempt to define it. That’s why I only wrote a sentence or two in response to Ira. Since I need to clarify other things that I thought were plain and clear, I might as well risk a few very trivial words about “nature" too. I could get another OMG. I don't know what OMG means.

I think its the norm that most of us post pictures hoping that someone will like them (that’s always fun), or a newcomer will become more enthused about photography or learn something they didn’t know, even if it’s a tiny fact about an obscure lens. However important taking better photos is, posting my own shots sometimes helps me see where I can improve my photography or what I might want to try next. It’s fun learning while looking, and I’ve learned a lot about photography and lenses by enjoying the photos at the Takumar club. This thread seems to serve the purpose it was designed for.

I thought it would be apparent to any reader when I suggested Ira post a nature shot that I was speaking tongue in cheek. Grinding no political axe at the time, the idea of “Freedom of Speech” or lack thereof never entered my head. It’s silly to think that I actually expected Ira do anything, especially to post a nature shot! How could or why would I or anyone on this forum expect such a thing? It’s plain and clear that folks post what they like and have been doing so for quite a while, and hopefully will continue to do so.

Sometimes nature, in the way I think Ira means it, feels empty and oppressive and even boring to me as well. Using Ira’s words, sometimes nature doesn’t do it for me. Speaking casually, I’ve noticed that as I’ve gotten older, I feel more secure “out there” in nature, but also I feel more fragile all at the same time. In general though, it seems for some people that the quiet observance and appreciation of “nature,” accompanied by other things, points to where (if somewhat vaguely) the true answers a heart seeks are to be found. Painters, theologians, prophets, writers, poets, musicians, composers, farmers, scientists and so on have been working the subject over for ages. After all, there is a lot of material to work with. And for a photographer (with a Takumar lens of course), it (nature) provides part of the light we need to enjoy taking a picture.

17mm Takumar Fisheye

Last edited by mglowe; 03-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.
03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #7504
Veteran Member

Selar, are you sure you want to cure it? Mine is yellowed, and I love the warm tones it creates!

03-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #7505
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mglowe Quote
You may be needing an appliance I'm not familiar with (uv bath). But if you are trying to clear it with by any method, this method works perfectly. All you need to do is wrap that lens in foil and angle the lens right into the sun long enough to clear it. Keep changing the angle as the sun changes location. Here in Texas, in the summer, it only takes a couple of days to clear a lens. I usually alternate back and front elements so that each side gets to meet the sun head on. I cover the end farthest from the sun with foil too. I don’t know if that is really necessary. I did discover that taking the foil off of the back end during the last three or four hours of the process seemed to take care of the last lingering bit of yellow. I’m not sure what’s going on with that, but it doesn’t matter. Always keep the barrel of the lens wrapped in foil in any case. The lens will become firecracker hot if you don’t.

I thought I’d not comment again on the same subject (nature) especially because it’s a huge topic with thousands of years of commentary and specialized vocabularies just to attempt to define it. That’s why I only wrote a sentence or two in response to Ira. Since I need to clarify other things that I thought were plain and clear, I might as well risk a few very trivial words about “nature" too. I could get another OMG. I'm don't know what OMG means.

I think its the norm that most of us post pictures hoping that someone will like them (that’s always fun), or a newcomer will become more enthused about photography or learn something they didn’t know, even if it’s a tiny fact about an obscure lens. However important taking better photos is, posting my own shots sometimes helps me see where I can improve my photography or what I might want to try next. It’s fun learning while looking, and I’ve learned a lot about photography and lenses by enjoying the photos at the Takumar club. This thread seems to serve the purpose it was designed for.

I thought it would be apparent to any reader when I suggested Ira post a nature shot that I was speaking tongue in cheek. Grinding no political axe at the time, the idea of “Freedom of Speech” or lack thereof never entered my head. It’s silly to think that I actually expected Ira do anything, especially to post a nature shot! How could or why would I or anyone on this forum expect such a thing? It’s plain and clear that folks post what they like and have been doing so for quite a while, and hopefully will continue to do so.

Sometimes nature, in the way I think Ira means it, feels empty and oppressive and even boring to me as well. Using Ira’s words, sometimes nature doesn’t do it for me. Speaking casually, I’ve noticed that as I’ve gotten older, I feel more secure “out there” in nature, but also I feel more fragile all at the same time. In general though, it seems for some people that the quiet observance and appreciation of “nature,” accompanied by other things, points to where (if somewhat vaguely) the true answers a heart seeks are to be found. Painters, theologians, prophets, writers, poets, musicians, composers, farmers, scientists and so on have been working the subject over for ages. After all, there is a lot of material to work with. And for a photographer (with a Takumar lens of course), it (nature) provides part of the light we need to enjoy taking a picture.

17mm Takumar Fisheye

Thanks mglowe, I'll try the foil paper and will probably take a few extra days of strong sunshine here in the mid Atlantic, been cold, cloudy with very few sunny days...

OMG = Oh My God...

I no big fan of Nature Photography but I am a huge fan of good images and you've provided quite a few winners IMAO (In My Arrogant Opinion). Not only that, but don't think it goes unnoticed or unappreciated, but I really like the different lenses, FL and approaches you take in your photos! Makes the images even more interesting...

SMC-Tak 55/2.0

Details
03-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #7506
Veteran Member

I've de-yellowed my Super Tak 50mm twice. The first time the lens spent a week in a window with the front element pointed into the sun and foil behind the rear element. The lens cleared, but progress was slow because direct sunlight was only available a few hours a day.

The second time I put a UV light bulb into a normal desk lamp and left it turned on overnight with the lens underneath and a small fan running nearby to cool the bulb (the UV coating causes the bulb to put off a lot of heat and they aren't supposed to run upside down). The lens cleared up almost completely in one night.

Super Takumar 35mm f/2, 1/2 second.

03-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #7507
Site Supporter

I'm not sure if I posted this one...
if I am, I apolpgize.
K-x
ST 85/1.9

03-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #7508
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions on how to remove the yellow tint from my lens. Yes I am going to try it out a bit with the tint still th here maybe I will like it.
On a Humorous side note I told my daughter that the yellow tint was due to radioactive thorium and now she runs away whenever I try to take a photo of her with it.
03-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #7509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Porga Quote
I'm not sure if I posted this one...
if I am, I apolpgize.
K-x
ST 85/1.9
Gorgeous image, Porga! I love the colours, composition and lightning.
03-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #7510
Veteran Member

Test shot with my latest Takumar Super Multi Coated Takumar 50/1.4 wide open on my K100D after correcting white balance.
03-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #7511

The 20 4.5 S-M-C Takumar is very good for this type of shot.

03-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #7512
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Gorgeous image, Porga! I love the colours, composition and lightning.
Thank you!
03-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #7513

SMC Takumar 135 3.5

S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4 with extension tubes

03-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #7514
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 0Man Quote
SMC Takumar 135 3.5

S-M-C Takumar 50 1.4 with extension tubes

Nice!!! #2, 3 and 4 are dynamite...
03-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #7515
Veteran Member

With an Auto-Tak 55/1.8 - My daughter getting her haircut.