Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14370 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #10201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is always something

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm on a work-based trip but am planning to use some of my spare time for photography. So, I packed various lenses and cameras, filters, films, chargers, and so on. What did I forget? The M42->adapter. Doh. Oh well, I'll just have to use the Taks on the cameras they were designed for, my ES/ESII combo.

K.

05-06-2012, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #10202

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dude163
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #10203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dude163 Quote
told you Id be back, I did a sphoto shoot for a local business ( auto repair shop) and one of the employees has THIS as his street car!

SMC Tak 28 Pentax KX

and a shot I made for the guy to make it look like it would have been in the 70s
What in particular is the 70's effect? What I see in it is processing which makes it look a bit faded and possibly in need of an additional wash to improve the fixer removal. I do like the old muscle car angle - it suits the subject. You seem to have a big warehouse background, and the fence. What would have been the background if you had taken it fromthe driver's side? I am probably wrong, but dream that the background fromt he other side would have been more benign. When I get home I always am confronted with woulda, coulda, shoulda ... .
05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10204
Veteran Member

I have the chance to buy a 28mm Super Tak (the 58mm diameter version, goes to f/16) for around $30 (around $45 with shipping). It is in pretty rough shape - think drilled holes in the name ring, missing paint, no caps/case/hood, spinning distance scale ring, but mechanically and optically still OK. Do you think it's a good price, or should I keep looking?

05-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #10205
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What would have been the background if you had taken it fromthe driver's side? I am probably wrong, but dream that the background fromt he other side would have been more benign
I'd have never shot from the other side, the Sun would be shining in my eyes/lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I have the chance to buy a 28mm Super Tak (the 58mm diameter version, goes to f/16) for around $30 (around $45 with shipping). It is in pretty rough shape - think drilled holes in the name ring, missing paint, no caps/case/hood, spinning distance scale ring, but mechanically and optically still OK. Do you think it's a good price, or should I keep looking?
That sound a little too rough for me. When you got to the "spinning distance scale ring" part, I drew the line

But it's your call and comfort level, currently there is one for sale in the Marketplace for $85 in excellent condition, knowing how my 28mm (58mm filter ring) delivers, I wouldn't think that too high in the supposed condition it's in...
05-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #10206
Veteran Member

Actually the spinning distance scale bothers me the least, as I have talked to the seller who said that the three screws are still there. It's just a matter of tightening them in place with the right screwdriver. The question really is if I can better spend my $45 on a wide angle lens. By the way, is the 58mm hood hard to come by?
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #10207
Inactive Account

Actually the spinning distance scale bothers me the least, as I have talked to the seller who said that the three screws are still there. It's just a matter of tightening them in place with the right screwdriver. The question really is if I can better spend my $45 on a wide angle lens. By the way, is the 58mm hood hard to come by?
I got mine with the lens... it looks like KEH.com has hoods as well, but you're in Romania. You can use a rubber screw on 58mm that works and is common to find.

Here's my copy with the hood, which I think it the coolest part of the lens I did have a chance to use and compare a Super Takumar and an SMC Tak 28/3.5 (49mm filter) and mine was way way better than either, but that doesn't mean anything. My copy was previously owned by a pro, and I think she took care of all her equipment and obviously used this lens extensively...

05-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #10208
Veteran Member

Hi there, re: other side, it was in shade and to my left were 2 minivans, so the angle I got was the most flatterring IMO , I knew for sure the soccer mom vans would ruin the retro look
05-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #10209
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree with theunartist - seems too much for that condition. Lst August I won an auction for one, with original caps, case and in good condition except someone had blacked out the brand name for AUD46.50 form a US seller. Had to pay postage. (eBay) Between April and August the mean price of that lens on eBay auctions (including those with no bids/no sale/high starting price) was AUD62.65 and the median price was AUD60.62.

Summary - I think you should, with patience (a couple of months) be bale to do much better than what you have been offered.

Sorry about your disappointment with the 50/1.4.
05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #10210
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Smc Takumar 85/1.8

Name:  Goose 2.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  141.6 KB
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #10211
Veteran Member

Oops, after I saw Rick's response, I placed the snipe on the lens and went to sleep. Now that I woke up, it turns out that I won it. Never mind if I actually don't like it - I should be able to sell it at $45. [it's this lens]
05-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #10212
Pentaxian

Two of my Takumars (an SMC 55/1.8 and an S-M-C 135/3.5) had a wobbly front barrel and on the advice of someone from here (thanks whoever it was!) I simply undid the beauty ring and tightened up three tiny screws inside. Now all is fine. I couldn't find a suitably sized rubber bung to remove the ring and ended up buying one from MicroTools, but in your case someone has already drilled two holes in the ring. As to the rotating DoF ring, I guess a screw has dropped out. As long as the screw isn't rattling around inside it should be OK, if rather annoying.

K.
05-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #10213
Veteran Member

Hey, thanks for the tip, now I feel a little better knowing that my purchase isn't that bad. As for the 49mm beauty ring, here's what I usually do: take the rear lens cap, put a piece of rubber from a balloon on it, and then press it on the ring while twisting it. It has always worked for me. I'm curious if those drilling holes look that bad in person, or if I can do something about them.

QUESTION: Does the 28mm leather case fit all variants of the lens, including mine?

Last edited by vladimiroltean; 05-07-2012 at 05:40 AM.
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #10214
Pentaxian

QUESTION: Does the 28mm leather case fit all variants of the lens, including mine?
I only have the later 49mm SMC Tak but my guess is no. The case is pretty snug on the lens. K.
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #10215
Veteran Member

I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone here. Why you ask? After reading kcobain1992 post on his search/wish list for a 1;3.5 / 28 mm lens, I said to myself "hey I think I got that lens" and low an behold I do. OK no big deal right? but while I was looking I found that I also have a smc pentax-a 1:2 50 mm lens that I didn't know about. Both look brand new with caps. It's starting out to be a great day.