Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2015, 11:39 PM - 2 Likes   #13396
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,475
Lupin flowers are out so its butterfly season:




And a grasshopper chompin on the shrubbery:



S-M-C Macro Takumar 100

03-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #13397
Pentaxian
simon_199's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 380
May i post a pic of a Takumar lens ? I love these reflections

03-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #13398
Veteran Member
Mike Bokeh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 608
OK, everyone, here's the test I did with my 3 Takumars; The 55mm f2.2, 105mm f2.8, and 150mm f4.0.

I used my Lou Gehrig figure, which is about 8 inches tall.

I chose the red background, and blue place mat for warm and cool color rendering.

I chose the side-lighting, because I thought this type of lighting would be more interesting than an evenly exposed outdoor shot, and would show a lens' shortcomings as well as its strengths.

I did my best to keep the figure the same size in all three shots.

You'll notice as the focal length gets shorter, the camera angle gets higher.

I did a test of every f stop, full and half through f16 on all the lenses.

I'm posting the f11 shot first, and the wide open shot second. I'm starting with the 150, and working backwards to the 55.

All photos were edited the same in lightroom.

Photo 1 is the 150 @ f11
Photo 2 is the 150 @ f4.0
Photo 3 is the 105 @ f11
Photo 4 is the 105 @ f2.8
Photo 5 is the 55 @ f 11
Photo 6 is the 55 @ f2.2

My observations:

The 55, and the 150 are close in contrast and creaminess, but I feel the 55 is sharper.

The 105 has the lowest contrast and color saturation, and is the least sharp of the three, but overall it's not a bad lens.

I love the softness of the 55 wide open @ f2.2, but it was difficult to focus on such a small object.

Look at that beautiful mush where the background meets the mat!

This will probably make an excellent portrait lens when not in a rushed situation, such as a model workshop.

At f2.2, the 55 has an almost Lensbaby look to it.

What do you think?

Is there anything I should try to make this test more complete?

Mike
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Mike Bokeh; 03-26-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Typo error
03-27-2015, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #13399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
utak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
OK, everyone, here's the test I did with my 3 Takumars; The 55mm f2.2, 105mm f2.8, and 150mm f4.0.
Interesting test and comparisons. That's a brutal colour contrast/line set-up! I agree with your conclusions; the 55mm @f11 seems the sharpest, looking at the top of the microphone, for example. I've noticed the 105mm doesn't always receive rave reviews across the web, for sharpness or contrast, unlike (say) the 85mm, and your findings confirm this. The Auto-Takumar 55/2.2 really does produce dreamy wider-open images. Such a simple, yet fascinating lens..

Walking early this morning with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4, 8 elements version, reminded me how absolutely wonderful this lens is (with a K-3). Surely the best of the best from Takumar/Pentax-film-land



Plus a twig from an Auto-Takumar 35/2.3




03-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #13400
Veteran Member
Mike Bokeh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 608
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Interesting test and comparisons. That's a brutal colour contrast/line set-up! I agree with your conclusions; the 55mm @f11 seems the sharpest, looking at the top of the microphone, for example. I've noticed the 105mm doesn't always receive rave reviews across the web, for sharpness or contrast, unlike (say) the 85mm, and your findings confirm this. The Auto-Takumar 55/2.2 really does produce dreamy wider-open images. Such a simple, yet fascinating lens..

Walking early this morning with a Super-Takumar 50/1.4, 8 elements version, reminded me how absolutely wonderful this lens is (with a K-3). Surely the best of the best from Takumar/Pentax-film-land



Plus a twig from an Auto-Takumar 35/2.3

Utak, I learned a few things from this controlled test:

1.) It pays to perform controlled tests!
2.) You never really know the gamut of a lens' performance until you actually do a test of all apertures with other lenses.
3.) I knew the 150mm was a good lens as soon as I bought it, but always thought the 55mm Tak was a mediocre performer, especially when compared with my K55. As it turns out, the Tak is at least equal to the K, if not superior. Wide open, it is fantastic for soft images!
4.) For some reason, I always assumed the 105 would be the best of the three, but the opposite is true. It really isn't a bad lens, it just has its limitations. Under the right lighting conditions, its low contrast and less-than-razor-sharpness could prove to be an asset for certain subjects.

I had been thinking of doing a test like this for a few years, I'm glad I finally did.

Your second shot taken with the 35 f 2.3 shows the magic of that lens. Below is a link to a site about early Pentax lenses. I'm not sure if someone here posted this a while ago or I stumbled upon it myself. There's also info there on other early Taks.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

Thanks for replying.

Mike
03-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #13401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,454
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Utak, I learned a few things from this controlled test:

1.) It pays to perform controlled tests!
2.) You never really know the gamut of a lens' performance until you actually do a test of all apertures with other lenses.
3.) I knew the 150mm was a good lens as soon as I bought it, but always thought the 55mm Tak was a mediocre performer, especially when compared with my K55. As it turns out, the Tak is at least equal to the K, if not superior. Wide open, it is fantastic for soft images!
4.) For some reason, I always assumed the 105 would be the best of the three, but the opposite is true. It really isn't a bad lens, it just has its limitations. Under the right lighting conditions, its low contrast and less-than-razor-sharpness could prove to be an asset for certain subjects.

I had been thinking of doing a test like this for a few years, I'm glad I finally did.

Your second shot taken with the 35 f 2.3 shows the magic of that lens. Below is a link to a site about early Pentax lenses. I'm not sure if someone here posted this a while ago or I stumbled upon it myself. There's also info there on other early Taks.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

Thanks for replying.

Mike
Thanks for the link and your info, Mike.

Agreed about utak's 35 images ... great lens.
03-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #13402
Veteran Member
Mike Bokeh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 608
You're very welcome, Jean.

Mike
03-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #13403
Senior Member
semaca's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: RO
Posts: 143
I want to shoot some spring flowers, but no luck yet, so here is a cat in a box.
Super Takumar (8) @ f/1.4, 1/100s, ISO 1600.



03-30-2015, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #13404
Senior Member
jwc77's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 269
A few with the SMC 50 f1.4 this evening.

Last edited by jwc77; 08-18-2015 at 11:26 AM.
03-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #13405
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,883
Some last ones from my single in March... with s.tak 28/3.5





04-01-2015, 09:10 PM - 3 Likes   #13406
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,725
S-M-C Takumar/6x7 90mm f2.8. (The leaf shutter 90mm for the 6x7.)



And S-M-C Tak/6x7 105mm f2.4. This particular lens needs some UV treatment, as it's making everything very yellow.


Last edited by g026r; 04-02-2015 at 12:41 PM.
04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #13407
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nagoya
Posts: 577
When you hit the sweet spot of that 105, it's really good, though. This is the original pre-set one on a Spotmatic F, Agfa Vista 200 (Fujicolor 200), probably f4 or f5.6. This copy looks as old as it is and the front element is cleaning marked beyond belief, but it still takes lovely photos. Maybe it just works great on film? I don't think I've ever used it on digital.

04-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #13408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Jacquot's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,414
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
When you hit the sweet spot of that 105, it's really good, though. This is the original pre-set one on a Spotmatic F, Agfa Vista 200 (Fujicolor 200), probably f4 or f5.6. This copy looks as old as it is and the front element is cleaning marked beyond belief, but it still takes lovely photos. Maybe it just works great on film? I don't think I've ever used it on digital.
Very nice photograph, great colors and depth.
04-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #13409
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nagoya
Posts: 577
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Very nice photograph, great colors and depth.
Thank you! Looking back at it makes me want to take that lens out again.
04-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #13410
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 402
Took my Super Takumar 105mm F2.8 for a test. I got this fun shot. I believe it was wide open.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, adjustment, asahi, auto-takumar, camera, d2x, days, ds, eric, f3.5, f4, fisheye, flickr, focus, handle, iq, iso, k3, lens, manor, moves, nikon, pentax lens, post, results, segments, shots, subject, takumar, versions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Takumar: Super Takumar 135mm f3.5 includes case, hood and caps Peter Zack Sold Items 7 05-17-2010 07:12 PM
Adorama is dangerous! And so is the Takumar Club! NaClH2O Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 01-24-2010 09:54 AM
For Sale - Sold: Hard Cases for Takumar 28mm/3.5 and Takumar 135mm/2.5 gabriel_bc Sold Items 8 01-11-2010 10:17 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Pentax-F 28/2.8; Takumar 400/5.6; Takumar 500/4.5 - pics thePiRaTE!! Sold Items 5 03-06-2008 09:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top