Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2016, 05:06 AM   #14326
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
The question is, was it on a bellows at the time?
Nice shot!
Eric
Yes - it has to be unless you use a combo of Helicoid and set extension rings.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Bellows-Takumar-Super-Multi-Coated-B...-100mm-F4.html

09-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #14327
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shot!
Eric
The flowers were nice, the end of winter.

My understanding is that that lens can only be used when mounted on bellows. If I am wrong, correct me.
09-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #14328

Nice shot!
Eric
Your comment has me bellowing at this moment.
Thick and thin, time and being or being and time, egg or chicken...hmmm
My favorite 20th century writer on such subjects is J B Priestley...remembering his commentaries on first seeing the Grand Canyon inspires me to grab some Taks and head out there...or someplace a little closer.
09-04-2016, 08:04 PM - 4 Likes   #14329
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Killer combo;
Tak bellows 100mm (on bellows!!) with ringflash on K01.
All for the princely sum of about US$500!
The only way I would improve on this is to slip a K1 in there!
Oh and taken with a S-M-C Macro tak 50 f4 on my K30 so as to qualify for here

Attached Images

09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #14330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Killer combo;
Tak bellows 100mm (on bellows!!) with ringflash on K01.
All for the princely sum of about US$500!
The only way I would improve on this is to slip a K1 in there!
Oh and taken with a S-M-C Macro tak 50 f4 on my K30 so as to qualify for here

Now that is a killer macro rig right there!

Just got my Pentax Bellows A to use with slide copier...(but it's K mount, silly me!) Still, I'm going to have to try me some macro's with it, fun fun fun!

Eric
09-05-2016, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #14331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't usually post an old photo, but this morning Facebook did its memories from the past thing and came up with this one from four years ago, just a couple of months after I'd first started moving from film to digital. It's taken with the Super Takumar 20mm on a K100D, and it led me to go back and have a look at all my shots from that time. And my conclusion is that, as I've gradually moved on to newer cameras with higher resolution and better ISO performance, my photographs have steadily become more boring and mundane. As time has gone by there have been more and more obvious, predictable, clichéd shots, that conform to the conventions of what a landscape photograph should be but reflect little of my own personal response to this beautiful moorland that I live on. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that a K100D is better than an up-to-date camera, because obviously it isn't, but it's almost as if personally I need some technical limitations in my equipment to make me think more creatively. I don't think it would have even occurred to me to take this photo this way today.

Over the past few months I've been losing interest in photography. I've been taking some of the most technically competent shots of my life, and they bore the crap out of me. Maybe I need to play around with an old K100D for a while to get my mojo back.

09-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #14332
Pentaxian

Creativity thrives on limitations. Do whatever you feel you need to to get your mojo back.

09-05-2016, 03:17 AM   #14333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I wouldn't usually post an old photo, but this morning Facebook did its memories from the past thing and came up with this one from four years ago, just a couple of months after I'd first started moving from film to digital. It's taken with the Super Takumar 20mm on a K100D, and it led me to go back and have a look at all my shots from that time. And my conclusion is that, as I've gradually moved on to newer cameras with higher resolution and better ISO performance, my photographs have steadily become more boring and mundane. As time has gone by there have been more and more obvious, predictable, clichéd shots, that conform to the conventions of what a landscape photograph should be but reflect little of my own personal response to this beautiful moorland that I live on. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that a K100D is better than an up-to-date camera, because obviously it isn't, but it's almost as if personally I need some technical limitations in my equipment to make me think more creatively. I don't think it would have even occurred to me to take this photo this way today.

Over the past few months I've been losing interest in photography. I've been taking some of the most technically competent shots of my life, and they bore the crap out of me. Maybe I need to play around with an old K100D for a while to get my mojo back.
I know exactly how you feel, D.D. I have a K100d Super and it a mighty fine camera for my needs. I also have a Nikon D70 which I enjoy very much. Lately though, I have become somewhat uninterested in photography and I am trying to keep my head above water by going over to portraits and landscapes and letting go of flowers for the time being. One sure way to stay interested is to invest in some new or newer equipment, sort of starting all over again. Thanks very much for your post.

Regards,

Antonio
09-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #14334
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave I have seen plenty of your mighty fine images on this forum .
Whenever I see them it puts your corner of the UK on my bucket list.
I like to think I am doing the same with my corner of NZ.
I know all you are seeing from me at the moment is bloody flowers, but that is because I am stuck at home at a busy time of year on the farm.
But if I can get out every day or so and fire off a few of these local shots it keeps my hand in and my pping on a steady learning curve.
The thing is when you get jaded, as we all do from time to time it is hard to make that extra effort that is the prerequisite of a special work.
And then we try to cover that by buying some fancy new gear thinking that is the problem.
But look at the images we are posting here - they are less than a 1 megapixel image and yet we usually see little deterioration from our original shot.
I gain a lot of pleasure from exploring these old lenses and have little appetite for new glass.
The learning curve I have had on PPing over the last 3 or 4 years is exhilarating.
But most importantly I have to make the effort when the light is special or the subject is difficult.
So get off your butt and head out the door with ya camera.
09-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #14335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Dartmoor Dave,

More pictures of horses and ponies with your Tak(s), please. You may be thinking that they're boring subjects, but the the colours, the scenery, and the depth really complement (and compliment) your subjects well. Thanks for posting those wonderful images.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-05-2016 at 10:02 AM.
09-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #14336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave, please keep on posting your "boring" photos from the Moors. You possess a type of magic with those Takumars, whether using an old camera or new. I've been rediscovering my K100D this past month, and it's so much fun to use. I'd forgotten how loud the shutter was! The birds all took flight when I was snapping a few in the quiet of the woods.
09-05-2016, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #14337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This photo was taken At 95mm. K100d super body with Takumar F 70~210mm 1:4~5.6 Lens.

1/125s, f5.6, ISO 200, CWA Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

Antonio
09-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #14338
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to all for such touching and supportive responses. You've reminded me why I'm proud to be a member of the Takumar Club.

Being tempted away from my beloved Taks into a dalliance with modern autofocus lenses has been a big part of my recent dissatisfaction, I think. It's time to bolt on those magical old instruments of metal and glass again and go looking for the light.
09-05-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #14339
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's time to bolt on those magical old instruments of metal and glass again and go looking for the light.
Yep - missed focus - flared out highlights - high failure rate but when you get a good image it has got the soul!
09-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #14340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Tulip.

This photo was taken at 125mm, no flash, ISO 200, landscape mode, 1/500s, f/9.5, CWA Metering. k100d Super with Takumar F 70~210mm F4~5.6 lens.

Thanks so much for viewing.

Antonio
« *Macro* lens club | - »