Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #14446

Auto-Takumar 55 1.8

I used the Auto-Takumar 55 1.8 while on a trip to the Okanagan Valley late this summer. Still impressed with the colours and the clarity this lens allows.
Tried a b&w version of one of my photos and can see why this lens is so popular with students.

Pardon me in advance if I get the image size wrong. It has been a while since I last posted here.

10-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #14447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OftheManor Quote
I used the Auto-Takumar 55 1.8 while on a trip to the Okanagan Valley late this summer. Still impressed with the colours and the clarity this lens allows.
Tried a b&w version of one of my photos and can see why this lens is so popular with students.

Pardon me in advance if I get the image size wrong. It has been a while since I last posted here.

One of my favorite lenses, incredibly sharp. Actually, I have the auto tak 55m f2, but they're pretty much the same I guess. I used to have the 55mm f1.8 but I never used it and gave it to my nephew. I think I gave him a super tak version and kept the auto tak because the auto tak has 10 blades.

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 10-18-2016 at 12:30 AM.
10-19-2016, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #14448
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
(cross-posted with the BW film images thread)

Hartington churchyard (7) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Pentax Spotmatic (early model), Super-Takumar 85mm f/1.9 lens, Kodak BW400CN film.
10-19-2016, 11:24 PM   #14449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5

The Tak 28 is a lens I haven't used in several years, so I thought I'd revisit it. Here are a couple of shots I took with it. I put a polarizer on it, and it vignetted. Also, I find the sharpness at infinity a little disappointing. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I have a second copy of this lens. I'll have to see if there's any difference between them. And I'll have to check it against my preferred 28, the Macro Revuenon 28mm f3.5.
Both photos were taken at f9 focused at infinity. For the pool scene, I should have focused a bit nearer to the camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
10-20-2016, 05:25 AM - 4 Likes   #14450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5

And another of the same river scene at sunset.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 
10-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #14451
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
The Tak 28 is a lens I haven't used in several years, so I thought I'd revisit it. Here are a couple of shots I took with it. I put a polarizer on it, and it vignetted. Also, I find the sharpness at infinity a little disappointing. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I have a second copy of this lens. I'll have to see if there's any difference between them. And I'll have to check it against my preferred 28, the Macro Revuenon 28mm f3.5.
Both photos were taken at f9 focused at infinity. For the pool scene, I should have focused a bit nearer to the camera.
Sharpness at infinity. I noticed the same with mine. In one way it is good to know mine is not the only one.
10-20-2016, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #14452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sharpness at infinity. I noticed the same with mine. In one way it is good to know mine is not the only one.
It seems the 28 and perhaps the 24 are best with subjects in the near or middle distance. This is a shot from the last time I used the lens in southern Colorado about 3 or 4 years ago. It had a humongous lens flare on it that I worked hard and long to eliminate. I can still see evidence of it, but I know it was there. The photo was taken at minimum focusing distance and at maximum aperture (or close to it).
I tried the other copy of the 28 this morning and it does seem a little sharper.

Attached Images

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 10-20-2016 at 10:29 PM.
10-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #14453
Forum Member

Take to club a new member

Takuman | JosslenB aka Takuman | Flickr
10-22-2016, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #14454
Forum Member

Photo from previous post

Photo from previous post
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D  Photo 
10-22-2016, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #14455
Forum Member

My Super Takumar 35/2.0 samples
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 6D  Photo 
10-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #14456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Josslen Quote
Take to club a new member

Takuman | JosslenB aka Takuman | Flickr
Welcome to the club!
10-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #14457

SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 V1 first f8, second wideopen

10-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #14458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 #2204586

I am now in a position to join this club with a new (to me) lens, as shown in heading. I was lucky to find an Excellent ++ copy with genuine front and back caps plus a Vivitar Skylight (1A) filter (for only $75 US and free freight). This copy is pristine and appears to be new without the box, somewhat surprising considering the age of this lens. I am wondering if this is the 8-element version.

I will be using the lens using a genuine Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter on the K-3 and perhaps also on the K-5ii, K-7, K-20, or K-01. I returned an earlier copy to Keh because it would focus no farther out than approximately 6 feet, and I am eagerly awaiting daylight so I can check on the distance focussing capabilities of this replacement. I have noticed that the genuine flange-less Pentax adapter fits down within the camera housing so that there apparently is no difference in registry distance for mounted lenses as compared to regular K-mount lenses, whereas the cheaper Chinese adapters interpose an additional registry distance equal to the thickness of the adapter flange. I am wondering if this slight difference in registry distance is what affects the lens' capability to focus to infinity(?).

Even mounted with the genuine Pentax adapter, the diamond-shaped focus mark of the new lens is not at top dead center, but is maybe 1/8 of an inch to the right. Wondering if this is normal, and whether this condition could affect the ability of the lens to focus to infinity(?).

I will appreciate any thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc., from anyone who is knowledgeable about this classic lens.

Also, I really like the work that appears in this thread with the 28mm Tak, and after I master the 1.4/50 I am sure I will be looking for a copy of this lens as well.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 10-23-2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Correct grammar.
10-23-2016, 02:36 AM   #14459
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Even mounted with the genuine Pentax adapter, the diamond-shaped focus mark of the new lens is not at top dead center, but is maybe 1/8 of an inch to the right. Wondering if this is normal, and whether this condition could affect the ability of the lens to focus to infinity(?).
No, this is a common 'feature' on lots of the Taks. Infinity is still attained.

Does the rear lens element protrude beyond the outside of the mount on the rear of the lens when it is fully wound back? If so, almost certainly an 8 element copy. There are other clues as well if you do a search.
10-23-2016, 04:24 AM   #14460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
No, this is a common 'feature' on lots of the Taks. Infinity is still attained.

Does the rear lens element protrude beyond the outside of the mount on the rear of the lens when it is fully wound back? If so, almost certainly an 8 element copy. There are other clues as well if you do a search.
Thanks for your response. Good to know the off-center aspect is normal.

After my post, I read the Forum reviews of this lens, and the writing on the lens pretty much identifies itself as one of the 7-element ones.