Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14359 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #14461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1-2-3 infinity!

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am now in a position to join this club with a new (to me) lens, as shown in heading. I was lucky to find an Excellent ++ copy with genuine front and back caps plus a Vivitar Skylight (1A) filter (for only $75 US and free freight). This copy is pristine and appears to be new without the box, somewhat surprising considering the age of this lens. I am wondering if this is the 8-element version.

I will be using the lens using a genuine Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter on the K-3 and perhaps also on the K-5ii, K-7, K-20, or K-01. I returned an earlier copy to Keh because it would focus no farther out than approximately 6 feet, and I am eagerly awaiting daylight so I can check on the distance focussing capabilities of this replacement. I have noticed that the genuine flange-less Pentax adapter fits down within the camera housing so that there apparently is no difference in registry distance for mounted lenses as compared to regular K-mount lenses, whereas the cheaper Chinese adapters interpose an additional registry distance equal to the thickness of the adapter flange. I am wondering if this slight difference in registry distance is what affects the lens' capability to focus to infinity(?).

Even mounted with the genuine Pentax adapter, the diamond-shaped focus mark of the new lens is not at top dead center, but is maybe 1/8 of an inch to the right. Wondering if this is normal, and whether this condition could affect the ability of the lens to focus to infinity(?).

I will appreciate any thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc., from anyone who is knowledgeable about this classic lens.

Also, I really like the work that appears in this thread with the 28mm Tak, and after I master the 1.4/50 I am sure I will be looking for a copy of this lens as well.

OK, great, the real, genuine, bona fide Pentax adapter did the job. My Tak 50/1.4 does focus to infinity. I am throwing in a few test shots. My very preliminary judgement is that I have lots of sharper 50mm lens--D FA 50/2.8 macro, DA 50/1.8, Auto Sears 50/1.4, Pentax A & M 50/1.7, Revuenon 50/1.4, Chinon 50/1.9 & 1.7, and the Canon 55/1.2 (adapted to K mount), not to mention the FA 43 limited. For sharpness, I will place it in about the same league as my Helios 44K-4 58/2.0. Of course, I have a lot more experimentation to do with the lens in terms of different kinds of uses--portraiture and other applications where sharpness is not the sine qua non. I like the preset aspect that lets me use aperture priority from time to time, at least to chimp an initial shutter speed at the desired aperture before dropping down to manual focus.

I would say the lens is not particularly resistant to flare. The first photo was shot about 15 degrees to the left of morning sun. I know this lens was produced well before today's high-performance coatings, and I had the 1A daylight filter installed but no hood for this shot. (added comment) (The close observer of the first photo may also adjudge something of my political proclivities, for which I apologize--not for the proclivities but for the demonstration of them in this forum.)

All comments are welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 10-23-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: added comment about flare and political sign in first photo
10-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #14462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Tak 50/1.4 does focus to infinity
Congrats on the Tak 50 Yes, those flange-type adapters don't allow infinity focus - the genuine m42 adapters will. I like the colors and rendering! You might try a "standard" metal hood on your Tak. They are about 3/4" deep and are readily available on evil bay. I've had good luck with one on my SMC Tak 55/1.8.
10-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #14463
STk

I am now in a position to join this club with a new (to me) lens, as shown in heading. I was lucky to find an Excellent ++ copy with genuine front and back caps plus a Vivitar Skylight (1A) filter (for only $75 US and free freight). This copy is pristine and appears to be new without the box, somewhat surprising considering the age of this lens. I am wondering if this is the 8-element version.

I will be using the lens using a genuine Pentax M42 to K-mount adapter on the K-3 and perhaps also on the K-5ii, K-7, K-20, or K-01. I returned an earlier copy to Keh because it would focus no farther out than approximately 6 feet, and I am eagerly awaiting daylight so I can check on the distance focussing capabilities of this replacement. I have noticed that the genuine flange-less Pentax adapter fits down within the camera housing so that there apparently is no difference in registry distance for mounted lenses as compared to regular K-mount lenses, whereas the cheaper Chinese adapters interpose an additional registry distance equal to the thickness of the adapter flange. I am wondering if this slight difference in registry distance is what affects the lens' capability to focus to infinity(?).

Even mounted with the genuine Pentax adapter, the diamond-shaped focus mark of the new lens is not at top dead center, but is maybe 1/8 of an inch to the right. Wondering if this is normal, and whether this condition could affect the ability of the lens to focus to infinity(?).

I will appreciate any thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc., from anyone who is knowledgeable about this classic lens.

Also, I really like the work that appears in this thread with the 28mm Tak, and after I master the 1.4/50 I am sure I will be looking for a copy of this lens as well.
About STak 1.4/50 8el.
Here you can learn more. Super-Takumar
Include Google translator
Good luck
10-23-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #14464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the park yesterday morning with the Super Tak 105:

10-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #14465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From Oregon Iris Festival.

Takumar F 70~210mm 1:4~5.6.

Thanks for viewing.

Antonio
10-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #14466
Pentaxian

Thanks for your response. Good to know the off-center aspect is normal.

After my post, I read the Forum reviews of this lens, and the writing on the lens pretty much identifies itself as one of the 7-element ones.
Off centre is common, but usually not be very much. That amazes me about the consistency of the Taks manufactured over so many years. They must have used quite sophisticated alignment methods in their tooling.

---------- Post added 10-24-16 at 03:58 AM ----------

OK, great, the real, genuine, bona fide Pentax adapter did the job. My Tak 50/1.4 does focus to infinity. I am throwing in a few test shots. My very preliminary judgement is that I have lots of sharper 50mm lens--D FA 50/2.8 macro, DA 50/1.8, Auto Sears 50/1.4, Pentax A & M 50/1.7, Revuenon 50/1.4, Chinon 50/1.9 & 1.7, and the Canon 55/1.2 (adapted to K mount), not to mention the FA 43 limited. For sharpness, I will place it in about the same league as my Helios 44K-4 58/2.0. Of course, I have a lot more experimentation to do with the lens in terms of different kinds of uses--portraiture and other applications where sharpness is not the sine qua non. I like the preset aspect that lets me use aperture priority from time to time, at least to chimp an initial shutter speed at the desired aperture before dropping down to manual focus.

I would say the lens is not particularly resistant to flare. The first photo was shot about 15 degrees to the left of morning sun. I know this lens was produced well before today's high-performance coatings, and I had the 1A daylight filter installed but no hood for this shot. (added comment) (The close observer of the first photo may also adjudge something of my political proclivities, for which I apologize--not for the proclivities but for the demonstration of them in this forum.)

All comments are welcome.
Your observations are consistent with mine. I think if you want very sharp, use the 55/1.8. If you use the 50/1.4 you will get a slightly softer overall look. Different aesthetics - choose the lens for what you want. STak does have less flare resistance due to the simpler coatings.
10-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #14467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Congrats on the Tak 50 Yes, those flange-type adapters don't allow infinity focus - the genuine m42 adapters will. I like the colors and rendering! You might try a "standard" metal hood on your Tak. They are about 3/4" deep and are readily available on evil bay. I've had good luck with one on my SMC Tak 55/1.8.
Thanks a lot to everyone for your comments. I will check out the standard metal hood paulh recommends if stuff on hand does not do the trick.Actually, I like the soft rendering, somewhat "painterly" effect of the lens.Sometimes I have to remind myself that there are lots of different lenses for lots of different uses. I am looking forward to picking up some more Taks and taking an active role in this lens club. I may not really need the 55/1.8 because of already having a dozen or so 50s already, but who ever said buying lenses is all about need! My go-to lens for sharp continues to be the FA 50 f 2.8 macro, which may be too sharp for some applications.

10-23-2016, 02:07 PM - 4 Likes   #14468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's the lonely ice cream man at the top of Pork Hill again, still standing his watch as the sun sets on a cold October evening. Taken with the original version Super Takumar 35mm/2.0 -- the one with the 67mm filter thread. I love the subtle, delicate rendering of this lens, although mine suffers from severe cleaning marks on the front element that can cause veiling flare. Ideally I'd like to find another copy with a damaged rear element but an intact front one, to combine the two into one good lens. Its character is so different to the other 35mm Taks that it really is a thing apart.

10-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #14469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5

The 28 can be "temperamental", a little softer and perhaps more subject to flare than most Takumar designs. You should check out the 35mm if a somewhat longer focal length is acceptable. The 35mm f3.5 is generally very highly regarded and quite cheap and easy to find. Just a suggestion . . .
10-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #14470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
The 28 can be "temperamental", a little softer and perhaps more subject to flare than most Takumar designs. You should check out the 35mm if a somewhat longer focal length is acceptable. The 35mm f3.5 is generally very highly regarded and quite cheap and easy to find. Just a suggestion . . .
Thanks for suggestion.
10-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #14471
STk

Thanks for suggestion.
Pay attention to Auto Takumar 3.5/35mm
Old lens, but a great
10-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #14472
Pentaxian

I have one of the auto Tak 35/3.5 and do not like it. The lens has a small rear element. In the later versions the metal surface surrounding the rear element is painted with the matt black paint, but in the auto Tak it is a smooth finish (anodised?). The effect is reflection between the sensor and the rear of the lens producing low contrast washed out images. Perhaps if you are willing to matt paint that part the problem would go away.
10-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #14473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto Takumar 35mm f3.5

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have one of the auto Tak 35/3.5 and do not like it. The lens has a small rear element. In the later versions the metal surface surrounding the rear element is painted with the matt black paint, but in the auto Tak it is a smooth finish (anodised?). The effect is reflection between the sensor and the rear of the lens producing low contrast washed out images. Perhaps if you are willing to matt paint that part the problem would go away.
I have the auto tak 35 f3.5 (and a super tak 35 f3.5) and this man's work with the auto tak made me decide to get one: Auto Takumar 35mm f3.5 | Flickr

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 10-24-2016 at 07:33 PM.
10-24-2016, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #14474

Super-Takumar 50 1.4 v.1

I have not used my Pentax K20D for ages preferring the full frame I get using an adapter on the SONY A7ii. I took it out last week because the camera has the best seals of any I own and it has been wet, wet, wet here on the western coast of BC.

The camera tends to underexpose at the wider apertures when set to Av but all can be managed with adjustments on the camera or in post. The camera both impressed and disappointed. Colours were stunning and I felt I was getting good value with the Super-Takumar attached to it but I noticed something I had not seen before. In landscape mode there is a straight line running 60% across the image in the lower left side. I am assuming this is all the hot pixels being gathered after mapping but it bugged me quite a bit to see it.

Upon reflection I realized that the rainy weather value of the camera far outweighed this quirk considering that I can always process or crop it away if the great day ever comes that I shall print anything. The line is not really noticeable on images where there are lots of detail but on smooth bokeh when shooting wide open it sits there as if waiting for a signature.

10-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #14475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

photographs

QuoteOriginally posted by OftheManor Quote
I have not used my Pentax K20D for ages preferring the full frame I get using an adapter on the SONY A7ii. I took it out last week because the camera has the best seals of any I own and it has been wet, wet, wet here on the western coast of BC.

The camera tends to underexpose at the wider apertures when set to Av but all can be managed with adjustments on the camera or in post. The camera both impressed and disappointed. Colours were stunning and I felt I was getting good value with the Super-Takumar attached to it but I noticed something I had not seen before. In landscape mode there is a straight line running 60% across the image in the lower left side. I am assuming this is all the hot pixels being gathered after mapping but it bugged me quite a bit to see it.

Upon reflection I realized that the rainy weather value of the camera far outweighed this quirk considering that I can always process or crop it away if the great day ever comes that I shall print anything. The line is not really noticeable on images where there are lots of detail but on smooth bokeh when shooting wide open it sits there as if waiting for a signature.

Very nice. Wonderful colors and light. Is there a modern lens that can capture such "photographic quality"?