Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #14866
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
preset Takumar 135mm f3.5 ver1

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've wanted to own that version of the 135mm for a long time, and you've definitely convinced me now. Great stuff.
Thanks, Dave. It's a Tak, so it doesn't disappoint, but the 200cm (7ft) minimum focus distance means its usefulness for me is limited. The Super Tak and SMC Tak focus down to 150cm which is a definite improvement. The Super Tak model 1 has 5 elements also, which raises some interesting questions.

06-12-2017, 04:24 AM - 3 Likes   #14867
Pentaxian

SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4

A shot taken with the SMC 50 1.4, one of my three oldest Taks (and m42 lenses), and a lens I've never used . . . Anyone who reads these forums knows this view by now I think. I never get tired of it, and it's my resolution test.
Modern glass, who needs it?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 06-12-2017 at 04:44 AM.
06-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #14868

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautiful photographs. Well done and thanks so much for sharing.

TT
Thanks Tony, appreciate you saying.

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Very Nice I Love the renderings these Taks give
Thanks, yeh me too. I should've just stuck with the first Takumar I got about five years ago, an SMC 55/1.8. I've been through at least a hundred lenses since in various mounts and the Super-Takumar 55/1.8 I have now is as good as anything optically, and mechanically is smoother than anything that doesn't also have Takumar on it!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've wanted to own that version of the 135mm for a long time, and you've definitely convinced me now. Great stuff.
Great to see you here Dave, this thread and the K10D Club are the only two I've ventured into so far...
06-12-2017, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #14869

Benefits of the 50/1.4 over the 55/1.8?

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
A shot taken with the SMC 50 1.4, one of my three oldest Taks (and m42 lenses), and a lens I've never used . . . Anyone who reads these forums knows this view by now I think. I never get tired of it, and it's my resolution test.
Modern glass, who needs it?
Andrew, I'm looking to built the definitive Tak set for myself, not exhaustive by any means, and maybe a dozen absolute max (I have six so far), but a good range and all excellent performers. I have the Super-Takumar 55/1.8 which is fantastic, and have a 55/2 version on the way (which I know is the same optically, I couldn't resist it in the condition it's in at the price!). I had an S-M-C 50/1.4 previously, but because I wanted to use it on other bodies with adapters I was having issues with the extra metal lugs at the rear of the SMC lenses and it wouldn't mount on anything but my Spotmatic. So I sold it.

Now I'm shooting almost exclusively with Pentax bodies (film and digital) and have the official Pentax M42>K adapter, so there are no longer issues with S-M-C/SMC lenses mounting.

What would you (and of course anyone else here who has a 50/1.4) say the 50/1.4 offers that the 55/1.8 doesn't, aside from the obvious fraction more light, which for my daylight shooting is virtually pointless, f/1.8 is plenty, especially when it's very usable at f/1.8 and amazing from a couple of stops in. I guess I'm looking for justification to either get a 50/1.4 (they seem to be fetching the best part of 100 here) or save my money for something different. Thanks!

In the meantime, another couple with the Pentax *ist DS2's twin, the Samsung GX-1S, and that wonderful Super-Takumar 55/1.8.

06-12-2017, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #14870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan James Quote
Here are a couple with the wonderful Super-Takumar 105/2.8 and the Samsung GX-1S.
Very nice, Dan! Thanks for reminding me I need to pull my ST105 out of the bag again soon! Such a pleasure to use - my smoothest focusing Tak, I think.

Incidentally, as a public service announcement, I just started a new club, the Six Megapixel Club, for those of us who still like to use our Taks and other vintage lenses on the older bodies. K100 series, *ist series and any other old 6 mpx models are welcome. Drop by sometime
The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com

A repost from last year with the Super Tak 105 on the *ist D:
06-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #14871
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Andrew, I'm looking to built the definitive Tak set for myself, not exhaustive by any means, and maybe a dozen absolute max (I have six so far), but a good range and all excellent performers. I have the Super-Takumar 55/1.8 which is fantastic, and have a 55/2 version on the way (which I know is the same optically, I couldn't resist it in the condition it's in at the price!). I had an S-M-C 50/1.4 previously, but because I wanted to use it on other bodies with adapters I was having issues with the extra metal lugs at the rear of the SMC lenses and it wouldn't mount on anything but my Spotmatic. So I sold it.

Now I'm shooting almost exclusively with Pentax bodies (film and digital) and have the official Pentax M42>K adapter, so there are no longer issues with S-M-C/SMC lenses mounting.

What would you (and of course anyone else here who has a 50/1.4) say the 50/1.4 offers that the 55/1.8 doesn't, aside from the obvious fraction more light, which for my daylight shooting is virtually pointless, f/1.8 is plenty, especially when it's very usable at f/1.8 and amazing from a couple of stops in. I guess I'm looking for justification to either get a 50/1.4 (they seem to be fetching the best part of 100 here) or save my money for something different. Thanks!

In the meantime, another couple with the Pentax *ist DS2's twin, the Samsung GX-1S, and that wonderful Super-Takumar 55/1.8.

The bokeh is quite different. The 55/1.8 has a very smooth bokeh with soft fuzzy circles whereas the 50/1.4 produces circles that are more obvious and have a white circle delineating the outer edge of the discs, much more of a bauble effect. Which is better, mater of taste and circumstance.

Personally I find the 55/1.8 much easier to use.

Where are you?
06-12-2017, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #14872

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Very nice, Dan! Thanks for reminding me I need to pull my ST105 out of the bag again soon! Such a pleasure to use - my smoothest focusing Tak, I think.

Incidentally, as a public service announcement, I just started a new club, the Six Megapixel Club, for those of us who still like to use our Taks and other vintage lenses on the older bodies. K100 series, *ist series and any other old 6 mpx models are welcome. Drop by sometime
The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com

A repost from last year with the Super Tak 105 on the *ist D:
Paul, what a brilliant idea for a new club, I'm there! As you know I got a K10D some weeks back, was amazed by it, then got curious about its little CCD brother(s), and have just got the Samsung GX-1S with the 6MP CCD sensor. I can't see it's any less wonderful in the final image (especially with Taks) than the K10D.

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The bokeh is quite different. The 55/1.8 has a very smooth bokeh with soft fuzzy circles whereas the 50/1.4 produces circles that are more obvious and have a white circle delineating the outer edge of the discs, much more of a bauble effect. Which is better, mater of taste and circumstance.

Personally I find the 55/1.8 much easier to use.

Where are you?
Tim, thanks for the info. I have looked back at the photos I made with the SMC 50/1.4 I had, but it's difficult to draw any final conclusions as I only used it with film back then, and the 55/1.8 I've been using almost exclusively digital, at least in recent months. The bokeh does look more busy somehow with the 50/1.4 but the sharpness is great, and at wide apertures it is lovely too.

Pentax MZ-5N with Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens plus Kodak Color Plus 200 film expired 2010

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F with Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens plus Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 expired 2009 @ISO200

I'm located in Sussex, in England, by the way.
06-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #14873
Pentaxian

Paul, what a brilliant idea for a new club, I'm there! As you know I got a K10D some weeks back, was amazed by it, then got curious about its little CCD brother(s), and have just got the Samsung GX-1S with the 6MP CCD sensor. I can't see it's any less wonderful in the final image (especially with Taks) than the K10D.

Tim, thanks for the info. I have looked back at the photos I made with the SMC 50/1.4 I had, but it's difficult to draw any final conclusions as I only used it with film back then, and the 55/1.8 I've been using almost exclusively digital, at least in recent months. The bokeh does look more busy somehow with the 50/1.4 but the sharpness is great, and at wide apertures it is lovely too.

Pentax MZ-5N with Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens plus Kodak Color Plus 200 film expired 2010

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F with Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens plus Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 expired 2009 @ISO200

I got a picture of a seed pod like your last in a field just off the A40 at Witney in late 2015. I am in Oxon.

06-12-2017, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #14874
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flowers in evening from our garden.

Three flower shots from our garden.

KIT: Pentax K-7 with Takumar 50mm f 1.4.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #14875
Pentaxian

SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4

Hi, Dan.

I've had the 50 1.4 for thirty years or so, and I don't use it. I've said before in the forum that I prefer wide angle lenses, 20-40mm, but I am starting to get an appreciation for the "normal" focal length. I also have the Super Tak 55 1.8 and the Auto Taks 55 2 and 2.2. My preference I think is for the Auto Taks because of their lower contrast and color rendering. All of these lenses are sharp! I'd say there's no hurry to get a 50 1.4, You're well covered at that focal length with your 55s. There are plenty of them out there, and I think if you're patient you'll find one at a good price.
As far as fifties go, I very recently got an old Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50 2.8 that's about 60 years old and shot with it exclusively for about three weeks. It's now my desert island lens. Twenty-five pictures taken with it, and one of it, can be seen on my Flickr page (William Bolton - Andrew Oid). They're very cheap because they were made for more than 25 years in m42 mount.
All the best.
06-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #14876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an extra 50/1.4 which I will let go cheap. PM if interested.
06-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #14877
Saffron

Welcome. This is an old and very active club. Did you just get your Taks? Otherwise, I think you would've come across the club before. Most of the members shoot with Pentax cameras. I shoot with Sony, but we all share a great appreciation for the very fine Takumars. Your shots are very nice but the purple flower was shot with a Tamron 90mm macro lens so it should be removed. It didn't look like it could be shot with the three lenses you mentioned so I checked the EXIF. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Hi Andrew - thank you for looking and pointing out my error. Which is why I have to make notes on which lens I used and the subject because I change the lenses.
Unfortunately the Exif doesn't give me this information and on one lens all I get is 90mm and thus the confusion. So yes, I will remove.

Many thanks again
Dinah
06-13-2017, 04:42 AM   #14878
Pentaxian

90mm Tamron

QuoteOriginally posted by Saffron Quote
Hi Andrew - thank you for looking and pointing out my error. Which is why I have to make notes on which lens I used and the subject because I change the lenses.
Unfortunately the Exif doesn't give me this information and on one lens all I get is 90mm and thus the confusion. So yes, I will remove.

Many thanks again
Dinah
Hi, Dinah.
Accidents happen, and I felt somewhat guilty pointing it out. I was trying to see if I could identify the focal length by looking at the pictures and that one wasn't 28, 85 or 200. Also, it doesn't have the Takumar color which tends to be a little warm (usually but not always). Anyway, you didn't answer my question. Are you new to Takumars? Do you plan to get others, like a 50 or 55 or a 35?
06-13-2017, 09:42 AM - 4 Likes   #14879
Pentaxian

The Devon Air Ambulance finishing up a fortunately non-emergency job at Pew Tor. Dartmoor is an unforgiving place, and these guys save lives. SMC Takumar 105mm/2.8 (xposted).

06-14-2017, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14880

Hi, Dan.

I've had the 50 1.4 for thirty years or so, and I don't use it. I've said before in the forum that I prefer wide angle lenses, 20-40mm, but I am starting to get an appreciation for the "normal" focal length. I also have the Super Tak 55 1.8 and the Auto Taks 55 2 and 2.2. My preference I think is for the Auto Taks because of their lower contrast and color rendering. All of these lenses are sharp! I'd say there's no hurry to get a 50 1.4, You're well covered at that focal length with your 55s. There are plenty of them out there, and I think if you're patient you'll find one at a good price.
As far as fifties go, I very recently got an old Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50 2.8 that's about 60 years old and shot with it exclusively for about three weeks. It's now my desert island lens. Twenty-five pictures taken with it, and one of it, can be seen on my Flickr page (William Bolton - Andrew Oid). They're very cheap because they were made for more than 25 years in m42 mount.
All the best.
Thanks Andrew. I think I'll stop hunting for a 50/1.4 for now. I actually just found an Auto 55/2 which sounds more interesting (inc 10 blades!) and bought it. It should arrive from Japan in the next month!

I've had a couple of Tessars, including an Alu one, possibly similar to yours? Very sharp in the right conditions but both were quite ropey to use. Nothing like a Takumar in build or smoothness. I've got a Pancolar 50/1.8 too, which I'll likely sell soon as again it's sharp enough but it's just not that nice to use. This is why I have switched to using Taks 90% of the time - the build quality and smoothness.

I looked at your Flickr by the way, but can't see an album or tag for Tessar or anything Carl Zeiss except the Flektogon. So I'm not sure how to find your Tessar photographs.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have an extra 50/1.4 which I will let go cheap. PM if interested.
Thanks for offering, I appreciate it. I'm in the UK so the postage plus import charges would likely make it far more expensive. Thanks though.

Samsung GX-1S with preset Takumar 105/2.8

Quite possibly becoming my favourite Tak...