Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14359 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #4681
V10

I just bought an S-M-C Takumar 55mm 1.8, too. Sure it takes at least 10 times longer to take a shot but it's much more gratifying and, damn, the image quality is impressive.

My distance scale is loose, is there anyway to fix it?

07-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #4682
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are three tiny set screws on the distance scale which you can tighten with a screwdriver.
07-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #4683
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
There are three tiny set screws on the distance scale which you can tighten with a screwdriver.
I think you're thinking of the hyperfocus scales that can be screwed down with 3 screws. I think he was referring to the little metal tab inside the hyperfocus scales (the distance scale). It's a fairly common problem with the Tak 55mms, I had the same issue. You will have to glue it down with some sort of metal glue. I used epoxy. Make sure you line it up first with the infinity mark.
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #4684

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You gotta be kidding:

That is freaking GORGEOUS!!!

And just turn it until it's tight and the F stops are up at 12 o'clock, more or less. Other M42s, not Taks, may position themselves at weird spots--9 o'clock or 3 o'clock--but they still work fine. They're just a little sidewise.

This is particularly true if you don't have the original Pentax adapter.
Well thank you very much.

I am already in love with the S-M-C 55mm f/1.8. I still have to play a bit more with the S-M-C 200mm f/4 since the focus ring is a lot more tight, but it seems to have amazing quality from f/5.6.

I still have to get my head around this manual focus thing - it takes me A LONG TIME to focus right now, but practice makes perfect (I hope)

... what to buy next?

I'm thinking perhaps a S-M-C 35mm f/2

07-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #4685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrik Kristensen Quote

I am already in love with the S-M-C 55mm f/1.8. I still have to play a bit more with the S-M-C 200mm f/4 since the focus ring is a lot more tight, but it seems to have amazing quality from f/5.6.

I still have to get my head around this manual focus thing - it takes me A LONG TIME to focus right now, but practice makes perfect (I hope)

... what to buy next?

I think we should close this thread now! Too many competitors when I try to complete my Tak collection
07-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #4686
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

... what to buy next?

That, plus the 105 2.8, which you can still get pretty reasonably.
07-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #4687
Ira
Inactive Account

Focus wide open, then stop down.

07-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #4688

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Focus wide open, then stop down.
I suppose that could help me; if my subject isn't moving and I can get used to stopping down while looking through the viewfinder

Thanks for the tip - isn't 105mm f/2.8 "expensive" now?
07-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #4689

... isn't 105mm f/2.8 "expensive" now?
More expensive than most Takumars.
I got one for £160 a few weeks ago, in very good contition with hood, caps, case, and manual. The hood is nice. You can also use it on your 1.8/55 if you shoot digital.
07-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #4690
Site Supporter

I suppose that could help me; if my subject isn't moving and I can get used to stopping down while looking through the viewfinder

Thanks for the tip - isn't 105mm f/2.8 "expensive" now?
For one thing it depends on which 105mm you are talking about. However, even the S-M-C Tak isn't too bad if patience is shown. There are the occasional cases of people getting into biding wars without understanding on the different versions and price trends.

QuoteOriginally posted by fredrikj Quote
More expensive than most Takumars.
I got one for £160 a few weeks ago, in very good contition with hood, caps, case, and manual. The hood is nice. You can also use it on your 1.8/55 if you shoot digital.
That is a ambiguous statement. For one thing you don't even state which of the 5 105's it is.
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #4691
Ira
Inactive Account

Well, they're all getting more expensive than they were a few months ago, but here in the states, you can still find the Supers for around $100 U.S.

I really wish I had the S-M-C version, because the results I've seen seem pretty superior to my Super, and I'm not just talking about conditions where the coating would make the difference. The IQ just looks so much nicer.
07-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #4692
Ira
Inactive Account

I always use M mode with my manual lenses, and when I shoot "action" with it, I lock in my baseline meter reading and leave it there, only concentrating on focus and clicking.

Usually, light conditions don't change that much to necessitate a new reading for each shot.
07-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #4693
Veteran Member

... what to buy next?

Henrik both a Pentax 'eyepiece' viewfinder enlarger: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 - B&H Photo Video
and a split focus screen, a cheap Chinese or the better Katz Eye, do help for manual focusing!

for a 35mm also consider the small and much cheaper f3.5/35mm Takumars, they are great performers
07-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #4694

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
Henrik both a Pentax 'eyepiece' viewfinder enlarger: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup 30150 - B&H Photo Video
and a split focus screen, a cheap Chinese or the better Katz Eye, do help for manual focusing!

for a 35mm also consider the small and much cheaper f3.5/35mm Takumars, they are great performers
Thank you for the tip on the viewfinder enlarger... I'm not ready to replace the focus screen yet
07-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #4695
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Nikon DK-21M is equivalent to the Pentax piece, and is a bit cheaper, though the price difference is much smaller than a couple of years ago.