Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14367 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #5806
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Catch in focus?

I had some time today while I was waiting in the car, and i played a bit with my k-x.
I wanted to try catch in focus option. Lens was SMC Takumar. While I was in the car, that feature worked without problem. Now when I arrived home, it won't? Im confused. should this feature work normaly with Takumars?

Thank you!

PS:
I have read the manual and my settings are as recomended.

11-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #5807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jos, that first one is stunning!!!
11-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #5808
Veteran Member

Lovely Macros!
11-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #5809
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Porga Quote
I had some time today while I was waiting in the car, and i played a bit with my k-x.
I wanted to try catch in focus option. Lens was SMC Takumar. While I was in the car, that feature worked without problem. Now when I arrived home, it won't? Im confused. should this feature work normaly with Takumars?

recomended.
That doesn't make any sense.

I never used catch (I have to get the aluminum tape for my lenses), but I don't think you should have to reset after you power down.

11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5810
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Pentax K20D
Super Takumar 85/1.9

11-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #5811
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That doesn't make any sense.

I never used catch (I have to get the aluminum tape for my lenses), but I don't think you should have to reset after you power down.
Ira, I don't have my contacts shortened with foil. could this be the problem?

Another strange thing that was happening while i was playing in the car was that when I pressed the green button (for metering) i heard the mirrror fliped up an down while camera metered the light. That newer happened before, and it does not happening now.
Now, when I press the green buton, only thing that is changing is the shutter speed, there is no any mirror flips, or anything mecanichaly is not happening (like it was since I had the camera.

Anybody know something about that?
11-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #5812
Ira
Inactive Account

I wish I could help you more, but my guess is that it's SOME setting that changed. I only have M42 Super and Super-Multi-Coated Taks, which all need the tape or foil. Don't know about SMC series.0

But note this:

On the K-x in M mode, you don't have to use the Green button to set the shutter speed, and you can dedicate it for something else. (I shoot mostly JPEGs, and have my Green button set to toggle to Raw.)

On the K-x, the Ev button in M mode locks in your shutter speed.

11-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #5813

Very vibrant and beautiful photos! i am new pentax family memeber starting with some film cameras. Good information here thanks for that.
11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5814
Site Supporter

I wish I could help you more, but my guess is that it's SOME setting that changed. I only have M42 Super and Super-Multi-Coated Taks, which all need the tape or foil. Don't know about SMC series.0

But note this:

On the K-x in M mode, you don't have to use the Green button to set the shutter speed, and you can dedicate it for something else. (I shoot mostly JPEGs, and have my Green button set to toggle to Raw.)

On the K-x, the Ev button in M mode locks in your shutter speed.
Yes, I know all that, and I'm sure that i did not change any setting.
I was playing, I was bored,
( I don't use green button, I use aperture priority mode and exposure compensation.)

I found that someone else had the same "problem" (wiht green button, and mirror flip)

Question on Using SMC Takumar Lense with K-x

ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - Question on Using SMC Takumar Lense with K-x

QuoteQuote:
I noticed something strange about the K-x though. With my K-x when I meter using the green button, I can hear the aperture lever and the shutter release and see that the mirror was flipped. With my K10D I can only hear the aperture lever... Mirror and shutter don't do anything. I don't understand why it's opening the shutter to meter in the K-x... anyone have any idea what's going on?

Last edited by Porga; 11-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.
11-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #5815
Pentaxian

Ira, I don't have my contacts shortened with foil. could this be the problem?

Another strange thing that was happening while i was playing in the car was that when I pressed the green button (for metering) i heard the mirrror fliped up an down while camera metered the light. That newer happened before, and it does not happening now.
Now, when I press the green buton, only thing that is changing is the shutter speed, there is no any mirror flips, or anything mecanichaly is not happening (like it was since I had the camera.

Anybody know something about that?
Only K mount and up can do the C-in-F (obviously by shortening with K mount metal), For M42, you have to fool the K-x with metal foil or flange type adapter, and from there it will do all the thing you mention. But for Taks Av mode works like charm because no communication between K-x and lens, what ever aperture position you set, it will stay like that, so no metering, no mirror flap, just put the A/M switch to M on the lens. But on M mode on the camera, it will meter when you use the green button if it is set for that. Again that is unnecessary because Av mode does the with out the green button, hope these help.
11-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #5816
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Only K mount and up can do the C-in-F (obviously by shortening with K mount metal), For M42, you have to fool the K-x with metal foil or flange type adapter, and from there it will do all the thing you mention. But for Taks Av mode works like charm because no communication between K-x and lens, what ever aperture position you set, it will stay like that, so no metering, no mirror flap, just put the A/M switch to M on the lens. But on M mode on the camera, it will meter when you use the green button if it is set for that. Again that is unnecessary because Av mode does the with out the green button, hope these help.
The K-x stinks in Av mode with M42 lenses. Heavy underexposure.

No comparison:

M mode, center weighted metering, get your focus, reframe to meter the value of the scene closest to 18% grey, or the part you want to optimally meter for..,hit the Ev button (not the Green button on the K-x)...reframe back to your scene...and pull
the trigger.

It sounds line a lot if steps, but compared to Av mode which not only underexposes on the K-x with M42 and would require AE lock anyway, this is the easiest way to get proper exposure.
11-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #5817
Site Supporter

No comparison:

M mode, center weighted metering, get your focus, reframe to meter the value of the scene closest to 18% grey, or the part you want to optimally meter for..,hit the Ev button (not the Green button on the K-x)...reframe back to your scene...and pull
the trigger.

It sounds line a lot if steps, but compared to Av mode which not only underexposes on the K-x with M42 and would require AE lock anyway, this is the easiest way to get proper exposure.
I really don't have problem with takumars in av mode ( lenses, 28, 35, 50, 55, 85)
set the ex. compensation to +3 and that is basicly it.

I was only wondering why things with CiF and mirror flip/green buton suddenly happened different than ususally.
11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #5818
Veteran Member

No comparison:

the trigger.

Yep my Kx does this too. But the Ev button is quick.

Eric
11-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #5819
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
But for Taks Av mode works like charm because no communication between K-x and lens, what ever aperture position you set, it will stay like that, so no metering, no mirror flap, just put the A/M switch to M on the lens. But on M mode on the camera, it will meter when you use the green button if it is set for that. Again that is unnecessary because Av mode does the with out the green button, hope these help.
I beleive that if takumar lens have auto/manual switch - for use in AV mode lens should be in auto.
11-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #5820
Ira
Inactive Account

I beleive that if takumar lens have auto/manual switch - for use in AV mode lens should be in auto.
Porga, not only are your photos great, but so is your insight:

I've always used these lenses set to M!!!

I'll try Av mode this way tomorrow, but I still think that M mode and the Ev button offers you better and easier control of your final composition.