Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14323 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #6961
Pentaxian

I never use tripod. Even with the 1000/8, as one hour ago when the sun passed behind the mountains

(Canon 5D, f/32)

02-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #6962
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdnkit Quote
Hey guys, are you using a tripod or something else to get clear pictures like this ? Man, I try to shoot with a 50mm , but I'm not able to get any clear picture without "movement" of the subject when I shoot with manual lens...With a tripod, everything is fine... Am I doing something wrong ?
I had written up a long reply and then my internet crapped out and I lost it.

The short of it was that you shouldn't be experiencing any more blur on an image taken with a MF lens than you would with an AF lens if the aperture and focal length are equivalent.

Three possibilities I see:

1) maybe when handheld you're leaving the aperture wide, which creates super shallow depth of field. If you move at all after locking your focus before you press the shutter, your focus will be on a different plane and things may look fuzzy.

2) perhaps you're using too narrow an aperture? this naturally increases shutter time as it would for any other lens, and it's possible it goes beyond what you can hold steady with your hands reliably? your camera should give you a shutter speed in Av mode, or M mode after hitting the Green Button, so you should be able to assess what's an acceptable shutter speed as you would for any other lens, so I doubt this is the problem.

3) It could be that your shake reduction is confused or deactivated. With my K-7, using a MF lens it prompts me on startup for the focal length of the lens, as it has no electronic way to communicate with it and needs to know to adjust its SR accordingly. Is it possible you are bypassing this step or accidentally entering the wrong focal length? Also possible is that it may be turned off altogether, which would cause you to lose a few stops of stability.
02-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #6963
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
I never use tripod. Even with the 1000/8, as one hour ago when the sun passed behind the mountains

(Canon 5D, f/32)
Lovely photo, CarbonR. I didn't even know they made a 1000mm Takumar!
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #6964
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could also be that he is focusing with the stock screen and what he is perceiving as blur is actually just missed focus.

02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #6965
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the hell happened?

I pee'd my pants in horror because I couldn't find this thread of ours where it usually belongs.

I would have taken a picture of this, but I was afraid about the urine and sync voltage frying the cam.
02-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #6966
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It could also be that he is focusing with the stock screen and what he is perceiving as blur is actually just missed focus.
This is possible, especially if he is using narrower apertures on his tripod which would make up for inaccurate focus.
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #6967
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What the hell happened?

I pee'd my pants in horror because I couldn't find this thread of ours where it usually belongs.

I would have taken a picture of this, but I was afraid about the urine and sync voltage frying the cam.
I'm in full support of this change because it puts all the fun threads where people post their photos and say happy things about their lenses in a completely separate place from the Lens Discussion forum where people generally only say bad things about their lenses or only talk about technical stuff.

02-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #6968
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So now newcomers won't even know these clubs exist.

I agree with Adam's original assessment on this, but he caved in to shut some people up.

Just what we need--more subforums.

As it is, there's a Lens Club Index in the Lenses forum, so exactly how did taking this out of Lenses help anyone?
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #6969

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerBelly Quote
Finally bought my first Takumar, which is a Super Takumar 200mm f4.
This is one of the first shots I made with it and I must say I really enjoy the lens.
Very beautiful, you will like Takumars.

Two others from my saturday outing to the snow festival

Saguenay en neige Festival.
Two contestants for the snow sculpture contest.
K200d, Super Takumar 35/3.5

Saguenay en neige Festival.
Saguenay en neige team's sculpture.
K200d, Super Takumar 35/3.5
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #6970
Inactive Account

Thank you for the help guys...but did I made something wrong by asking my question here ? Sorry if I did....
02-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #6971
Site Supporter

Hey guys, are you using a tripod or something else to get clear pictures like this ? Man, I try to shoot with a 50mm , but I'm not able to get any clear picture without "movement" of the subject when I shoot with manual lens...With a tripod, everything is fine... Am I doing something wrong ?
what is your shutter speed?
02-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #6972
Inactive Account

So now newcomers won't even know these clubs exist.

I agree with Adam's original assessment on this, but he caved in to shut some people up.

Just what we need--more subforums.

As it is, there's a Lens Club Index in the Lenses forum, so exactly how did taking this out of Lenses help anyone?
Ira, I agree 100% and it's an Oxymoron to use the term "User Supported" sometimes.... Personally, this thread is one of my faves and the posters here make it all worthwhile... Darn, the only reason I got Takumars is all you guys here. Thanks to all that post in this thread and I hope you continue!

Thank you for the help guys...but did I made something wrong by asking my question here ? Sorry if I did....
No you did not... I think there are 3 reasons for blurry pictures:

1. Just simply not focused which I think accounts for 90% of perceived "soft focus" problems. It's an entire art from to be able to manually focus nowadays with the standard focusing screens found on current dSLR's

2. Your subject moved

3. Too slow a shutter speed, it maybe in focus but you moved ever so slightly

If you're shooting with a fast lens wide open, the margin of error is so small, try stopping the lens down a bit. You should post a few examples, so we can have a look see.

Super-Tak 50 1.4

Details
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6973
Site Supporter

What the hell happened?

02-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #6974
Site Supporter

Seed(s) of life

k-x
Super Takumar 85/1.9
02-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #6975

This past weekend was looong (we had Monday and Tuesday off because of a national holiday).
It has been way to long since me and my family did some mountain hiking. The main reason being our youngest son.
And this weekend we made up for the /lost time/ ;-)

Super Takumar 35mm f3.5

More images follow....