Inactive Account

K20D + Super Takumar 35/3.5

Kx + Super Takumar 35/3.5

08-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #10607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The model# of the early 135 Takumars..

I just saw this piece of info on the web, that could be interesting to somebody here

Informations about the 135 mm Takumars:
The 1:3,5 Super Takumarwas changed in 1965 from 5 lenses in 4 groups to 4 lenses in 4 groups. The product No. which is on the backside of the Man./Auto lever before was 43540, after the change it was 43541.
After introduction of the Multi Coating in 1971 the No. of the Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR was 43542.
The first version of 1:2,5/135 Super Takumar had the No. 43802 and has 5 lenses in 4 groups.
This version exists also as Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR (43802). But in 1972 it was improved with 6 lenses in 6 groups and had the No. 43812. This should have the best performance.

Source: G. van Oosten, The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide, (1999)
08-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #10608
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
thank you Togu
I can't really imagine why some Takumars wouldn't fit any M42 > E mount adapter.
Anyway I can recommend mine very much, it's the one seen in the middle with the zebra design.
--deleted--

btw. a "tilt adapter" also is very interesting ( I have a K mount > Sony E mount tilt adapter and optionally stack my M42 > K mount adapter, now don;t remember the seller, but if interested could may be able to find out )

best greetings,
andreas
Andreas, thank you. I've ordered the adapter.

It must be nice for you to live in one of the most exotic island in the world. I noticed that you traveled around a lot, too. I guess it helps you to hunt all the good 'glasses' from every corner of the world.

Togu
08-19-2012, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #10609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CGJung Quote
Andreas, thank you. I've ordered the adapter.

It must be nice for you to live in one of the most exotic island in the world. I noticed that you traveled around a lot, too. I guess it helps you to hunt all the good 'glasses' from every corner of the world.

Togu
hope that you will be happy with the adapter Togu!

( yes, one may say I travel a lot. Most of the time I don't feel like traveling though but going to a number of places every year for specific reasons and simply living my life. To Bali I have come every year since abt. 20 years, time ago for 4 or 5 months, now it's usually for just about 5 or 6 weeks. Similar it has been with Japan and Nepal, during these last years it was Vietnam I spent more time than anywhere else. Therefore I not consider myself living in Bali, or any other place really, or better I should feel I live in all of them Sometimes I go to some new place and 'travel', this year made two short trips of just 2 weeks each to China and Taiwan. )

A good number of my lenses, specially Takumars and Pentax K, I bought in Japan for less than I would expect having to pay in Europe. Of some specially early Takumars which typically are harder to find outside Japan I could not resist and bought more than one copy and resold some if someone showed interest ( a list of available lenses at the profile at my flickr ). These last 2 years however the unfavorable exchange rate makes good deals very hard to come by. A few years ago I made a bargain with two lenses in India where I guess one still could have luck, a few I bought in Vietnam and the Philippines but not cheap, prices there usually are even higher than in Europe.

One real good thing is that I found people in various countries that can service old lenses for little money, e.g. here my Vivitar f2/28 gets it's focus ring smoother again right on the street in Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon, so does my Auto Takumar f2.8/105 seen in the background:

haha, and smoking while doing it

both taken with S-M-C 1.4/50 on K-x

best greetings,
andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 08-19-2012 at 11:18 PM.
08-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #10610
Pentaxian

( yes, one may say I travel a lot. Most of the time I don't feel like traveling though but going to a number of places every year for specific reasons and simply living my life. To Bali I have come every year since abt. 20 years, time ago for 4 or 5 months, now it's usually for just about 5 or 6 weeks. Similar it has been with Japan and Nepal, during these last years it was Vietnam I spent more time than anywhere else. Therefore I not consider myself living in Bali, or any other place really, or better I should feel I live in all of them Sometimes I go to some new place and 'travel', this year made two short trips of just 2 weeks each to China and Taiwan. )

A good number of my lenses, specially Takumars and Pentax K, I bought in Japan for less than I would expect having to pay in Europe. Of some specially early Takumars which typically are harder to find outside Japan I could not resist and bought more than one copy and resold some if someone showed interest ( a list of available lenses at the profile at my flickr ). These last 2 years however the unfavorable exchange rate makes good deals very hard to come by. A few years ago I made a bargain with two lenses in India where I guess one still could have luck, a few I bought in Vietnam and the Philippines but not cheap, prices there usually are even higher than in Europe.

One real good thing is that I found people in various countries that can service old lenses for little money, e.g. here my Vivitar f2/28 gets it's focus ring smoother again right on the street in Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon, so does my Auto Takumar f2.8/105 seen in the background:

best greetings,
andreas
Wow, lens repairs on the street, unbelieveable. I'd want to be sure he was careful with dust, on the other hand, I would love to be able to watch the process. Great photos too.
08-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #10611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

best greetings,
andreas

Honest you Nice to see the street repairman pics too. Regards
08-20-2012, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10612

S-M-C Takumar 35mm on Canon EOS 5D mkII

08-20-2012, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #10613
Veteran Member

wow, beautiful photo dfujevec, great sky, depth and composition!

thank's guys, I thought you would like the photos of the lens repair

I was not so much concerned of him not being clean enough, but I must say that I could not help thinking about what would happen if his little working tray would get knocked over, after all it simply sits on top of a cardbox and he is sitting on a somewhat busy street corner!

look at those - eek, how one of the modern AF zoom look from the inside
( because they had not been taken with a Takumar only posted as links, lens used was Tamron Adaptall 01A, a manual 35-80mm zoom on Pentax K-x )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/5510627319/in/set-72157625800113249/
repair of a modern AF zoom lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
repair of a modern AF zoom lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
parts / chips of a modern AF lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also should show a photo taken recently in Bali with a Takumar, again Auto Takumar f1.8/85

cheers,
andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 08-20-2012 at 09:45 AM.
08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #10614
Pentaxian

best greetings,
andreas

I know the guy. His name is Teo if my memory serves me well. He is sitting on Nguyen Hue street, right? I had used his services couple times to clean up some standard lenses with oil on aperture blades. I would never bring my expensive lenses to him as he has no way to protect the lens from dusts and trust me Vietnam is so dusty.
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #10615
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I know the guy. His name is Teo if my memory serves me well. He is sitting on Nguyen Hue street, right? I had used his services couple times to clean up some standard lenses with oil on aperture blades. I would never bring my expensive lenses to him as he has no way to protect the lens from dusts and trust me Vietnam is so dusty.
Right Duc, that's him! Within local photographers he is 'famous' I know a circle of photographers in Saigon who use vintage gear, they are very particular with it and most of it looks like new. They all know him and have used his services.
I am with you and would be hesitant to let him open my more valuable lenses. However even if there must be some dust after Teo's service, inspecting them with flashlight I can't see it. Certainly every vintage lens, and also the 3 or 4 of mine he had worked on and cleaned, had much more dust inside collected over the years before it was opened for service than it ended up with after. I had used other lens repair men in Saigon who work inside, but watching Teo doing his job is great, all looks so easy and effortless, he is very experienced and very good!

Last edited by kuuan; 08-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #10616
Pentaxian

Right Duc, that's him! Within local photographers he is 'famous' I know a circle of photographers in Saigon who use vintage gear, they are very particular with it and most of it looks like new. They all know him and have used his services.
I am with you and would be hesitant to let him open my more valuable lenses. However even if there must be some dust after Teo's service, inspecting them with flashlight I can't see it. Certainly every vintage lens, and also the 3 or 4 of mine he had worked on and cleaned, had much more dust inside collected over the years before it was opened for service than it ended up with after. I had used other lens repair men in Saigon who work inside, but watching Teo doing his job is great, all looks so easy and effortless, he is very experienced and very good!
Very cheap too...I believe he charged me 60,000VND (3USD) to clean the oily blades...
08-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #10617
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Very cheap too...I believe he charged me 60,000VND (3USD) to clean the oily blades...
haha yes, and one only pays what one can watch he also actually does

Last edited by kuuan; 08-21-2012 at 01:05 AM.
08-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #10618

I was not so much concerned of him not being clean enough, but I must say that I could not help thinking about what would happen if his little working tray would get knocked over, after all it simply sits on top of a cardbox and he is sitting on a somewhat busy street corner!
Andreas, in your linked pictures I was also noticing that Teo had contained only some of the removed screws in a cup during the job. Other small screws were left loose on his tray, which has a newspaper advert as a very busy (text-filled) background! He must have a very steady hand (despite the smoking!) and must be very confident that he will not bump into things. When I work on a camera, if I do not immediately put each screw in a container (and/or on a strip of sticky tape) and if I do not work on a tidy white background, I surely will end with fewer screws than I started with!
--Dave
08-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #10619
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Andreas, in your linked pictures I was also noticing that Teo had contained only some of the removed screws in a cup during the job. Other small screws were left loose on his tray, which has a newspaper advert as a very busy (text-filled) background! He must have a very steady hand (despite the smoking!) and must be very confident that he will not bump into things. When I work on a camera, if I do not immediately put each screw in a container (and/or on a strip of sticky tape) and if I do not work on a tidy white background, I surely will end with fewer screws than I started with!
--Dave
yes sure Dave, me too. But then.."he" is a wizzard

Last edited by kuuan; 08-21-2012 at 04:28 AM.
08-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #10620

S-M-C Macro-Takumar 1:4/50

A nice visitor in my kitchen after a mild summer night:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo