Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14312 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #10726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some use aluminum foil. i just learned to compensate before taking the photo or at PP

09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #10727
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At one time I tried using aluminium foil but I never got a reliable shorting of the required pins on the mount - and that is just as bad.

I have found that the mount end of all the Taks is much too small to cover the pins in the mount.
09-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #10728
Veteran Member

Here's a couple of quick shots from my backyard tonight. I've just received my new Nex 5n and wanted to try it out. Not much to shoot at night, but these'll do.

Shot using my Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 lens wide open. ISO 1600 10 sec. exposure, on my tripod.

09-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #10729
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Yea, and also when you don't look at it.
In all seriousness, I can't think of any justification to modify a vintage lens destructively, with very questionable benefits. The only side effect of the missing paint on the mount of my 50/1.4 was that my K-x was flicking the aperture lever too when I pressed the green button. Annoying and useless, I had to cover it up with black nail polish.
But of course, this is only my humble opinion, it's anybody's right to do whatever they want with their money, who am I to say otherwise.
Wow, I'm surprised to see so much aversion to a minor modification that improves performance. I didn't want to offend anyone.

My K200D doesn't flick the aperture lever with the green button, but this may depend on the adaptor used too, I'm not sure.

I have been known to use the foil trick, but it's not as reliable, it's tricky to do, especially if you're changing lenses, and it leaves the "top" of the lens further down than it should be. The paint removal method is a much easier solution, but it's not possible on all taks, so kcobain can sleep easy at night knowing I'm not harming all the Taks I come into contact with

09-14-2012, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #10730
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Come on, don't be shy now. In fact, I'm known among friends to be a Tak killer myself - here's a recent thread to prove that: My Takumar died today! So acceptance rather than denial is the key. This is what I have been known to do frequently after a murder:

The picture was taken by my girlfriend with the Super Takumar 28mm, it escaped me this time, but not for too long.
09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #10731

K-5 + Super Takumar 50mm 1.4
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #10732
Inactive Account

K20D + Super Takumar 28/3.5 (First Model Late Version)

K20D + Super Takumar 50/1.4 @ ISO1600

09-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #10733
Veteran Member

"Everyone is an artist" - that seems to rule you out
09-15-2012, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #10734
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
haha, it was after 9 years of studying English that I went, for the first time, to an English speaking country. People would say: "you are talking in English, but..what are you talking about?" In an acquired language it is most difficult to be short and precise!
In return If English was learned through schooling, not primarily through talking with native speakers, which usually is the case, long sentences may be more easily understood than being too short.
I think that may be universally true for languages. I know it is the case for foreign learners of Japanese. I was once helping an American who wanted to say, "If you tell me what time your plane arrives I'll pick you up at the airport".

His grammatically correct "textbook" version:
Moshimo anata ha anata no hikouki ga nanji ni touchaku suru ka wo oshiete kurereba watashi wa kuukou made anata wo mukae ni itte agemasu.

The "natural" Japanese version I suggested:
Mukae ha?

In the context he posited, that was absolutely all that was needed to accomplish the linguistic task at hand.

Pentax K-5
Super Takumar 24/3.5

09-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #10735
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yiptwo Quote

K-5 + Super Takumar 50mm 1.4
Very cute! Suggested title: "This Little Piggy Stayed Home"
09-15-2012, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #10736
Veteran Member

The Bugle of the Bull Elk (Takumar 300mm F4 Preset)

I went hiking in the mountains today to try out my new Nex 5n. I also tried out a new (to me) lens I just received, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset (18 aperture blades).

It is getting into the rut season for elk here in northern Colorado. When you go into the mountains this time of year, you can hear elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It is an awesome sound to hear, especially when you are hiking all alone up in the high country.

Right from the start of the hike today, the elk bugles were numerous. There were many bull elk in the area and they are starting to compete to build their harems. An hour or so into the hike, I heard a loud bugle close by, just up the ridge. I started to climb. Now this time of year you have to be careful getting close to the big bulls, they are pretty touchy and it doesn't take much to set them off.

As I got up to the ridge line, another bugle sounded. It was VERY close. So, I squatted down and started looking through the trees to see if I could spot the bull. It didn't take long to spot him as he slowly moved through the trees (you could hear his antlers hitting against the trees and branches).

I took my time and slowly worked my way towards him. I was none to eager to startle that bull.

He had a small harem gathered at the top of the ridge. There were a half dozen cows and a couple of yearlings.

I sat close the the small herd for about an hour. The bull would bugle every few minutes, answering other bugles from other bulls in the area. On a few occasions, other bulls would get too close and he would run down the side of the mountain to chase them off.

During one the bulls absences, a cow grazed up to within 20 feet of me.

I started to get uncomfortable as more bulls were moving into the area. The bull I've been photographing was starting to get more agitated and huffing/bugling a lot, so I took a couple more photos, then eased away from the herd.

It was a great hike and a memorable experience.

I kind of wish I had my K20D with me since this was my first day out with the Nex 5n and I wasn't real comfortable with it, especially with a 300mm lens. The Nex 5n didn't let me down though.
09-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #10737
Veteran Member

Something like the Takumar is definitely the gear you need for shooting elk. If they get too close it is heavy enough for you to beat them to death with it.

Pentax K-5
Super Takumar 85/1.9

09-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #10738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
The Bugle of the Bull Elk (Takumar 300mm F4 Preset)
What a great series of photos. Stunning (did you put on an invisible cloak?). Really nice to see and read your photoessay. Thank´s for sharing. Regards
09-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #10739

Super Takumar 50 f1.4, Pentax K5.
A build worker!

09-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #10740
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Very cute! Suggested title: "This Little Piggy Stayed Home"
Mike, good to see you back. Just a minute before I saw this we had been talking about how long since you had put anything in this thread.

Learning languages is hard work. Chinese is easier to make sense of in writing than the sound of it. My only moderately successful attempt to learn another language was ancient Greek.

So we wait to see the picture of the little piggy having roast beef.

We have a clothes hanger with the same design of clips on it, but it got old so we got a new one that we use now.