Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14370 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #10906

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I like that photo, I have a copy of that lens and get good results with it.

Nice sharp results with the takumar and the Nex 5n. Question - I have been considering this camera for backpacking with takumars - one of my concerns is obtaining proper focus with the manual lenses on bright sunny days. Are you having any problems with this? Doesn't seem so by your photos
Bright sun can be bothersome, but the focus peaking helps a good bit. The red peaking lines are fairly visible to me when there's moderate glare on the screen and gives me a good idea where the focus is, especially when combined with the touchscreen zoom-in. Also, nearly all of my shots with the NEX are taken at hip level with the screen tilted up and my head hunched over looking down--my head sometimes provides shade over the screen and reduces/prevents glare! I don't know if my experience will help you on your question if you don't plan on shooting in weird postures or if you don't have an over-sized skull like me And thank you!

Sidenote: I know a lot of people crap on mirrorless cameras' lack of OVF, because they can't press the camera against their forehead for extra stability and think they have to hold the camera 2-3 feet away from their face with their arms out in an uncomfortable position that introduces instability and shake. Shooting at hip-level with my thumbs on top of the camera (right thumb presses shutter) with fingers underneath and palms pressing against the side and upper arms pressed against the sides of my body has been very stable for me. I don't know if this is common practice with mirrorless, but it was something I've developed for myself after shooting with it for some time. Also, aren't we all tired of eye-level shots and having to crouch [/sidenote]

Great shots with the Auto/Super Takumar 55s! I thought getting a 50/1.4 would make my Auto 55/1.8 obsolete, but I find myself keeping the 55 in regular rotation. I need get some shots with it some time this week.

10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #10907
Inactive Account

Boy Rick you are really making good use of that lens
Robert
Thanks, but the opportunities and lens made it easy!!!

Hopefully I'll be able to post again in a few hours and/or days but if you haven't heard, Hurricane Sandy is on the way...

K10D + Super-Multi-Coated 135/2.5 (Model 2)

10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #10908
Inactive Account

SUPER TAKUMAR 50/1.4 (8-element v.1)

10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #10909
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MobiusOne Quote
I don't know if my experience will help you on your question
Thanks that was exactly the kind of information I was interested in.

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
K10D + Super-Multi-Coated 135/2.5 (Model 2)
The contrasts and sharpness on your soccer team photo is great - I'm hearing that storm is shaping up to be a beast - hope you and your family stay safe and sound.
Robert

10-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #10910
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The contrasts and sharpness on your soccer team photo is great - I'm hearing that storm is shaping up to be a beast - hope you and your family stay safe and sound.
Robert
Yes, Sandy is a real beast. I also hope that everyone on the East coast comes out the other side safe and sound.
Take care all.

Dave
10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #10911

Super takumar 50 f1.4

10-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #10912
Inactive Account

SUPER TAKUMAR 55/2

10-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #10913
Inactive Account

Robert
QuoteOriginally posted by Tall Guy Quote
Yes, Sandy is a real beast. I also hope that everyone on the East coast comes out the other side safe and sound.
Take care all.

Dave
I think this may be my last upload for a day or so, electricity just went out for a couple of minutes, winds are pretty impressive and should continue till 2:00AM EST... But the house is clean, as well as everyone inside, school cancelled today and tomorrow, plenty of food/water/halloween candy. The streets in Baltimore City will be closed to general traffic at 6:00PM! (However, 3G/4G still working...)

K10D + Super Takumar 135/2.5 (Model 2)

10-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #10914
Pentaxian

A few from the SMC Tak 35/3.5, all taken in a small village whose name I forget, close to Soria, Spain.

10-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #10915
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I think this may be my last upload for a day or so, electricity just went out for a couple of minutes, winds are pretty impressive and should continue till 2:00AM EST... But the house is clean, as well as everyone inside, school cancelled today and tomorrow, plenty of food/water/halloween candy. The streets in Baltimore City will be closed to general traffic at 6:00PM! (However, 3G/4G still working...)
I have been hearing about the storm for a few days and now it has hit. I got home a couple of hours ago, after work and saw the news on TV. Big. The satellite pictures remind me of a movie about a big storm I saw a couple of years ago.

Just 3 weeks ago I was over there. Much happier days. The weather was cold and misty rain, when the new USS Michael Murphy (#112) sailed by 1 Castle Point, Hoboken, about the tiem it was commissioned. My ex-submariner friend with me at the time was very sympathetic for the sailors who were required to line the deck in the cold. Used the STak 135/3.5, the longest lens I took on this trip, since most of the time I was going to be inside in meetings.

It was a week later when I osted the picture of the smelly tofu in Taiwan.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
10-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #10916
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A few from the SMC Tak 35/3.5, all taken in a small village whose name I forget, close to Soria, Spain.
Great Pictures - love those small villages in spain.
It's great to get away from all the turist Places
10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #10917
Veteran Member

I dropped my K-20 last July so it's back to my old K-100 for awhile. Here are a few shots from my hunting trip earlier this month.

Super Takumar 55mm f1.8

Super Takumar 17mm FE f4.0

Super Takumar 135mm f3.5
10-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #10918

First attempt at contributing to this great club. I used an S-M-C Takumar-Zoom 85-210 handheld on the K20D only because it was there. I have been playing with a few Takumar lenses using the Pentax as well as a SONY fullframe and a NEX5. I have to admit the shorter focal lengths are a treat using the NEX5. I have a few zooms and a 400mm that will need a support of some sort. As I figure things out I'll post a few results.
Manual focussing has improved my AF attempts but I find myself hauling along the Takumars most of the time.

Mist | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by OftheManor; 10-31-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added lens identifier and modified photo link
11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #10919
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OftheManor Quote
First attempt at contributing to this great club. I used an S-M-C Takumar-Zoom 85-210 handheld on the K20D only because it was there. I have been playing with a few Takumar lenses using the Pentax as well as a SONY fullframe and a NEX5. I have to admit the shorter focal lengths are a treat using the NEX5. I have a few zooms and a 400mm that will need a support of some sort. As I figure things out I'll post a few results.
Manual focussing has improved my AF attempts but I find myself hauling along the Takumars most of the time.

Mist | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I saw the photo on flickr and it's quite nice but you need to use the BBcode and copy/paste so it shows up here... (like below)

11-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #10920

Thanks for getting my image to show. Believe me I have struggled with the process. We of the Flinstone generation find the simplest task problematic. I had thought the image might not be showing because it was my first post and I required vetting of some sort.
I had tried pasting the BBcode but it seemed to make no difference.
I'll try again soon.