Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14310 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #12931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some great photos on this page.

I have a question. I just got a Auto-Tak 85, but now my aperture ring seems stuck..? It was moving before, but now I can't get it off f/16. I've tried messing with the cocking mechanism/pin, but no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Nam

10-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #12932
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
Some great photos on this page.

I have a question. I just got a Auto-Tak 85, but now my aperture ring seems stuck..? It was moving before, but now I can't get it off f/16. I've tried messing with the cocking mechanism/pin, but no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Nam
This seems to be a problem of the Auto-Tak/85/1.8. However, it is the best lens of the crowd 85mm. I have it and the focus is hard. I think the grease is hardened. I will send it to Eric for clean up. It is worth.

Do not mess with it.
10-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #12933
Pentaxian

On or off camera. There is on some lenses a very small pin that is depressed when lens is mounted and allows the aperture ring to move but seems to leave the lens stuck open or closed when manipulating the ring when lens is unmounted. I may be toatally off beam on this lens though.
10-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #12934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
This seems to be a problem of the Auto-Tak/85/1.8. However, it is the best lens of the crowd 85mm. I have it and the focus is hard. I think the grease is hardened. I will send it to Eric for clean up. It is worth.

Do not mess with it.
When you put it that way, it makes me want to keep trying to force it to turn.. If this occurs for the auto's, what causes it? I also sometimes hear something grainy/grinding-like when I turn the focus ring when I first tried it. Although it has a few things I was unhappy with, I think I'm liking it just as much, if not more, than the SMC.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
On or off camera. There is on some lenses a very small pin that is depressed when lens is mounted and allows the aperture ring to move but seems to leave the lens stuck open or closed when manipulating the ring when lens is unmounted. I may be toatally off beam on this lens though.
It's happening on and off camera. So I'm quite stumped about this.

-Nam

edit: After focusing down to the min. distance, it started working again. Albeit, it's a bit stiffer to turn the ring compared to my other Taks.

Last edited by NomNamNom; 10-07-2014 at 07:26 PM.
10-08-2014, 01:53 AM   #12935
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
When you put it that way, it makes me want to keep trying to force it to turn.. If this occurs for the auto's, what causes it? I also sometimes hear something grainy/grinding-like when I turn the focus ring when I first tried it. Although it has a few things I was unhappy with, I think I'm liking it just as much, if not more, than the SMC.

It's happening on and off camera. So I'm quite stumped about this.

-Nam

edit: After focusing down to the min. distance, it started working again. Albeit, it's a bit stiffer to turn the ring compared to my other Taks.

Unfortunately it would seem that there is something wrong with it. If there is a gritty feel or sound when turning the focus ring I would guess that is may have got some dirt (such a bull dust) in it some time. I got a Tamron 28-50 zoom in late 1980 and took it to Leigh Creek where it did good pictures around the mine and then to Maree, where at the motorcana the dust was stirred up by the cars on the racetrack (dirt) and some dust entered the zoom ring and forever after it felt gritty.

The iris problem might be related dirtiness or a problem of something just too tight to move properly.

The value of an 85 makes it worth considering professional help for it.
10-08-2014, 03:27 AM   #12936
Pentaxian

Let's all make sure to vote for our favourite Takumars in the Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time contest: The Greatest Pentax Lens Of All Time - Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com

We cannot disgrace the memory of Takuma Kajiwara by allowing the unenlightened masses to win this with some piece of plastic autofocus crap. I've just put my vote in for the 35mm/3.5.
10-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #12937

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Let's all make sure to vote for our favourite Takumars in the Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time contest: The Greatest Pentax Lens Of All Time - Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com

We cannot disgrace the memory of Takuma Kajiwara by allowing the unenlightened masses to win this with some piece of plastic autofocus crap. I've just put my vote in for the 35mm/3.5.
Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't heard about this at all. And you are so correct in your assessment!

10-08-2014, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #12938
Inactive Account

Yes, I agree the 35/3.5 is a big winner! An extremely dependable and predictable lens, close focusing isn't bad and on a cropped body, this lens beats out the Tak 50 as an everyday walk around...
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

Hey Mike! Nice seeing you around...
QuoteOriginally posted by mglowe Quote
Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't heard about this at all. And you are so correct in your assessment!
K10 + Super Takumar 35/3.5 @ ISO640 One of my favorite photos with a favorite lens!

Super Takumar 35/3.5 Flickr Set
10-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #12939

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Yes, I agree the 35/3.5 is a big winner! An extremely dependable and predictable lens, close focusing isn't bad and on a cropped body, this lens beats out the Tak 50 as an everyday walk around...

Hey Mike! Nice seeing you around...

K10 + Super Takumar 35/3.5 @ ISO640 One of my favorite photos with a favorite lens!

Super Takumar 35/3.5 Flickr Set
Thanks Rick. That's a good looking photo of Henry with the 35. I just acquired one about 4 months ago, and like you said, it is a very predictable dependable lens and does have pretty good close up capability. I've gotten a few very good portraits from the 35, even of people!
10-08-2014, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #12940
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best Pentax lens

As far as the best Pentax lens produced, I do agree that a Takumar should take the honors considering that their exceptional quality has certainly been time-tested and proven. While 35mm is my favorite focal length for a full-frame sensor (Sony Alpha a850), and I have a 35mm Auto Takumar, a 35mm Super Takumar, and a 35mm SMC Takumar f2, I think I would have to give the nod for best (Takumar) lens in my collection to the pre-set 50mm f4 Macro 1:1. I just love its image quality.
10-09-2014, 08:49 AM - 6 Likes   #12941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
I would have to give the nod for best (Takumar) lens in my collection to the pre-set 50mm f4 Macro 1:1. I just love its image quality.
I agree; its my best Takumar too. However, I nominated the Super Takumar 50/1.4 (8 elements version) as the greatest lens because not only is it a great optical design and a joy to use, it is such an iconic lens. It helped cement Pentax's reputation as a top lens designer/manufacturer. And it is one of the few Pentax/Takumar lenses that many serious non Pentax camera users know about and want to try.

Anyway, here's a recent snap to show off the pre-set Macro Takumar's image quality...I don't think I've posted it anywhere else:

10-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #12942
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
I agree; its my best Takumar too. However, I nominated the Super Takumar 50/1.4 (8 elements version) as the greatest lens because not only is it a great optical design and a joy to use, it is such an iconic lens. It helped cement Pentax's reputation as a top lens designer/manufacturer. And it is one of the few Pentax/Takumar lenses that many serious non Pentax camera users know about and want to try.
Agree on all accounts ! One of the best lenses I have...

Anyway, here's a recent snap to show off the pre-set Macro Takumar's image quality...I don't think I've posted it anywhere else:
Breathtaking shot !!!!
10-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #12943
Pentaxian

Anyway, here's a recent snap to show off the pre-set Macro Takumar's image quality...I don't think I've posted it anywhere else
I've been watching one on ebay, but decided not to bid because I have pentax-M 100mm f4. Regretting now.
Sharp and creamy. Beautiful.
10-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #12944
Pentaxian

Excellent capture, utak ... much more than a "snap"

I also nominated the 8 element STak 50/1.4 ... and I need to put up some images with it here.
10-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #12945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

here's a recent snap
Wow. that's terrific! If that's your 'snap,' what do your carefully composed shots look like?

- Craig