Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14361 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #541
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Snark, are you familiar with the aluminum foil "fix" for the K100D metering problem with M42 lenses? Basically you just tape a bit of foil over the electric contacts that surround the lens mount. You should be able to get the EV boost down quite a bit that way.
Mike, thanks for this info - I hadn't heard about it. I googled a bit but am still confused... hence my many questions!

Why does this work? Is the purpose of the contacts documented somewhere? Is it only the k100d that has this issue? Will I lose infinity focus?

As I (perhaps unlike you) also use KA mount lenses, maybe it's easier for me to just use exposure compensation.

09-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took a couple of much needed days off this week to go fishing, camped out Thursday night and got one of my favorite spots which I wouldn't have gotten on a weekend, even this late in the year. I grabbed these shots with my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/3.5. Love this lens.

09-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #543
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the_snark Quote
Mike, thanks for this info - I hadn't heard about it. I googled a bit but am still confused... hence my many questions!

Why does this work? Is the purpose of the contacts documented somewhere? Is it only the k100d that has this issue? Will I lose infinity focus?

As I (perhaps unlike you) also use KA mount lenses, maybe it's easier for me to just use exposure compensation.
I have no idea why it works; I only know that it does. I picked up the hint from someone else here on Pentax Forums and it was the single best bit of advice I got for the K100D. There's no issue with infinity focus unless you make the foil too thick.

Just fold a bit of foil over double or triple (for strength) and tear it so it fits nicely across the contacts. I found that covering the KA locking pin helps to hold it in place. A bit of scotch tape across the bottom, down toward the tripod screw hole, and across the side, toward the grip, serves to hold it in place. You can remove and replace it as needed a few times before the tape quits sticking. I always carried a bit of extra foil and a roll of scotch tape in my camera bag. Fortunately the K20D doesn't require it, and the K100D now is a K-mount dedicated glorified P&S for the wife and kiddies to use.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 09-27-2008 at 01:39 AM.
09-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #544
Veteran Member

I got an idea. Why not paint the contacts with some colour that shorts them? Surely there are some colours that will have enough metal in it to keep them shorted?

09-27-2008, 02:23 AM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
I got an idea. Why not paint the contacts with some colour that shorts them? Surely there are some colours that will have enough metal in it to keep them shorted?
Because then it would be a dedicated M42-only camera. The contacts are necessary for A-series and later lenses.

Pentax K20D
Super Takumar 85/1.9

Last edited by Blue; 02-01-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: missing image
09-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #546
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Because then it would be a dedicated M42-only camera. The contacts are necessary for A-series and later lenses.
And your point is?
09-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #547
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
And your point is?
Look, it's just as big a mystery to me as it is to you why he would want to ruin a perfectly good camera by putting anything but Takumars on it. There are all kinds of odd people in the world.

Pentax K20D
SMC Takumar 55/1.8

Last edited by Blue; 02-01-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: missing image
09-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #548
Veteran Member

You can paint the bottom of the adapter to insulate it. That's how mine is.
09-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #549
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
55 f2

I've seen a nice 55 f2 which is in better condition than my 55 f1.8.

Would it be a wise purchase.

regards
09-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #550
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You can paint the bottom of the adapter to insulate it. That's how mine is.
You have a flanged adapter?
09-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
I've seen a nice 55 f2 which is in better condition than my 55 f1.8.

Would it be a wise purchase.

regards
Unless it is going to make you miss the rent this month or get a beating from somebody....why not?
09-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #552
Veteran Member

Just a quick question for you folks about focusing. What kind of focusing screens do you have? Sorry about the qestion being ask here but I am a new fan of these lenses and was wondering if anyone had any special technique they are using.
My eyes aren't the best and I usually have contacts in.

Should have some photos later today to post. Haven't been out with my 85 for a couple weeks
09-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Just a quick question for you folks about focusing. What kind of focusing screens do you have? Sorry about the qestion being ask here but I am a new fan of these lenses and was wondering if anyone had any special technique they are using.
My eyes aren't the best and I usually have contacts in.
I wear glasses for nearsightedness. I recently purchased a 1.17x magnifying eyepiece (Nikon D-21M) for my K10D and use it all the time with my Takumars. There is a Pentax eyepiece as well but I can't get them here. I highly recommend it.

Let me know if you get that split focusing screen too, be interested in how it works out on your 85mm.

Oh, and some images from my 85mm, been lax with posting lately

09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #554
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just recd the Pentax magnifying eyecup, but haven't really tested it out yet. Hopefully will get a chance tomorrow.
09-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #555
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info guys,

jamonation,
I'm nearsighted also. Nikon eye piece ? What ever works is what I am looking for. How much did that run you if I can ask? That just slide on doesn't it?

Stratman,
Thanks , let me know how it works out for you. The magnifier doesn't cost near the Katzeye. This is an option I am surely looking at. The split screen they advertise on ebay is cheap enough that if it doesn't work out it won't be too bad. I was hoping someone had already tried them. Was looking for a guinea pig.

Anyway, I was out today with my 85. Harsh light and showdows.

I was a wedding photographer for a second though.

Heres one for Mr. Cash