Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #14896
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have the SMC 50/4 and100/4.
Both food. I choose what to take depending whether I want a 50 or 100, perhaps for other things I might do.

06-18-2017, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #14897
Inactive Account

Super Takumar 55/2 (model 1 late) and Pentax K-30

Shot wide open.

Last edited by Nessie; 06-18-2017 at 10:30 AM.
06-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #14898

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have the SMC 50/4 and100/4.
Both food. I choose what to take depending whether I want a 50 or 100, perhaps for other things I might do.
Thanks Tim. I went out with my, er, Flektogon 35/2.4 today and remembered it focus down to less than 0.2m, less than my Pentax-M Macro 50/4! And in practice I was only at min focus maybe twice out of a hundred shots, so it's all I really need for now on the "macro" front. It doesn't feel anything like as pleasurable to use as any of my Taks, but for now it serves the close focus purpose and delivers very good images.

The Tak 100/4 remains appealing, given the much longer focal length.
06-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #14899
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was fortunate to acquire an Auto-Takumar 35mm f2.3 yesterday at a local camera shop. I am looking for a lens hood for the 62mm filter ring on this lens. One reviewer in the PF Lens Review section suggested a Nikon HN-22 hood, which is readily available. I was wondering if any of the Tak enthusiasts here might have any other suggestions or should I just go with that.

06-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #14900
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
I was fortunate to acquire an Auto-Takumar 35mm f2.3 yesterday at a local camera shop. I am looking for a lens hood for the 62mm filter ring on this lens. One reviewer in the PF Lens Review section suggested a Nikon HN-22 hood, which is readily available. I was wondering if any of the Tak enthusiasts here might have any other suggestions or should I just go with that.
Get a filter and use it for a hood, slash filter. I personally have this Lens and you will LUV IT.iF YOU NEED ANY TECHNICAL INFO on it PM me
06-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #14901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Get a filter and use it for a hood, slash filter. I personally have this Lens and you will LUV IT.iF YOU NEED ANY TECHNICAL INFO on it PM me
Thanks for the reply niceshot. I currently have a CPL filter on it because it's the only 62mm filter that I have. And I do plan to get a cheap UV filter to keep on it for protection, as well as the Nikon HN-22 lens hood. Typically I don't shoot with filters, except for CPL's and ND's when needed, so I was hoping to avoid the whole "screwing the filter off and on" thing while out shooting with this lens.
I saw some of your shots with this lens in the Auto-Takumar thread and I can see why you like it so much. I am looking forward to shooting with it. I was not out looking for this gem, I just happened to come across it. So I am excited to see what I can do with it.
06-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #14902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reply niceshot. I currently have a CPL filter on it because it's the only 62mm filter that I have. And I do plan to get a cheap UV filter to keep on it for protection, as well as the Nikon HN-22 lens hood. Typically I don't shoot with filters, except for CPL's and ND's when needed, so I was hoping to avoid the whole "screwing the filter off and on" thing while out shooting with this lens.
I saw some of your shots with this lens in the Auto-Takumar thread and I can see why you like it so much. I am looking forward to shooting with it. I was not out looking for this gem, I just happened to come across it. So I am excited to see what I can do with it.
Yes this is one of the most underrated Lens. But you will fall in love with it. ONE more shot @f-4

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-19-2017, 02:24 PM - 14 Likes   #14903

Auto-Takumar 55/2

I took delivery of an Auto-Takumar 55/2 today from Japan (I'm in the UK) which amazingly arrived in less than a week. Very impressed with how small it is - it's significantly smaller and lighter than my Super-Takumar 55/2, itself no heavyweight - the Auto-Tak has a 46mm thread like its even smaller sibling the Auto-Takumar 35/3.5 I also recently acquired.

Focusing is lovely and smooth (a major appeal of the Taks for me) and the aperture clicks are very good too, though less dampened and more tinny and clicky sounding than my Super and S-M-C Taks. I like that the aperture ring is right near the end, like a preset lens almost, as this makes it easier to access on my digital bodies, and the aperture scale is more clear to see being farther from the camera body and overhanging flash.

Only had a quick play in the garden but very happy so far. Colours seem very natural and real, it has an interesting character wide open, and smooth bokeh highlights as you close down, helped by 10 aperture blades. In due course I'll do some head to head shooting with the Super-Takumar 55/2, though I'll likely keep both as they're quite different in handling, the Super focuses closer, the Auto has those 10 blades not six, so they're far from similar versions of the same lens. Very impressive for a lens that's almost 60 years old.

A shot wide open with my Samsung GX-1S.

06-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #14904
Pentaxian

Dan, that is a beautiful photo and interesting colour palate. I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-20-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Cleanup, aisle 5.
06-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #14905

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Dan, that is a beautiful photo and interesting colour palate. I look forward to seeing more of your photos.
Arjay, thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it. Roses are in abundance here at the moment and I think they make irresistible photography subjects!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-20-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Cleanup, aisle 5.
06-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #14906
Inactive Account

And I do plan to get a cheap UV filter to keep on it for protection, as well as the Nikon HN-22 lens hood.
I use no name metal lens hoods with my Takumar lenses and I'm very happy.

Cheap and sturdy
62mm Aluminum Wide Angle Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Fuji Pentax Olympus Camera | LED Lights, Photography Accessories | GumpTrade.com
62mm Aluminum Standard Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Digital Camera | LED Lights, Photography Accessories | GumpTrade.com
06-20-2017, 05:24 AM - 4 Likes   #14907
Pentaxian

At Foggintor with the 20mm.

06-20-2017, 05:45 AM   #14908

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
At Foggintor with the 20mm.

Dave, I really like the framing of the tree, its shadow, the pony and the doorway in the background. What were these ruins before they were ruins?

I always expected lenses this wide to show some kind of distortion of the image, but it doesn't happen with your photographs with the Tak 20mm. It remains on my wishlist, I just need to cool off a bit having amassed four new Takumars in as many weeks!
06-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #14909
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dan, the 20mm does exhibit some barrel distortion. An example can be seen in the reviews elsewhere in the forums. I is noticeable on APS-C but would be quite obvious on 35mm. But it is of a magnitude that is aesthetically pleasing except if the picture has long straight lines near the edges.

I think if is pleasing and that a true rectilinear projection would actually give a feeling that is less natural.
06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #14910
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I typically do as well. That just happened to be the first suggestion that I came across. I bookmarked your source, so thanks for that.