Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14338 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #14971
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Is it OK to post images here that are taken with a Takumar but not with a Pentax camera?

Definitely, Ray! I'm especially keen to see any results you've got with Takumars on your new Canon 1Ds. (I think I remember you mentioning a 1Ds?)

08-02-2017, 03:17 PM - 4 Likes   #14972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erd§ Quote
Go for it Ray - you wouldn't be the first.
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Definitely, Ray! I'm especially keen to see any results you've got with Takumars on your new Canon 1Ds. (I think I remember you mentioning a 1Ds?)
Thank you, gentlemen. I thought it might be OK but it was safer to ask first.

Yes, Dave, it is a 1Ds and I finally got an M42 to EOS EF adapter so now I can use my Takumars on a full frame camera at their specified focal length.

Here are a few shots taken with a Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 (V2 49mm filter). The quality of these old lenses is immediately obvious. It is a CMOS sensor but with a liitle bit of Lightroom magic...

It is a bit tricky getting the exposure right as the Canon does not see things quite the same as my Sekonic light meter and I am still working on that issue. I'll eventually master it.
08-02-2017, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #14973
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is one from the Detroit area, in the good part of town, from April last year. Just got around to processing it.

STak 20/4.5, probably about f8. This shows nicely the barrel distortion which is part of what I find quite appealing about this lens. I like photographing power line hardware, having previously, at the beginning of my career, worked in the industry. In those days the STak 20 was not an antique, just 'used'.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #14974
Pentaxian

Thank you, gentlemen. I thought it might be OK but it was safer to ask first.

Yes, Dave, it is a 1Ds and I finally got an M42 to EOS EF adapter so now I can use my Takumars on a full frame camera at their specified focal length.

Here are a few shots taken with a Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 (V2 49mm filter). The quality of these old lenses is immediately obvious. It is a CMOS sensor but with a liitle bit of Lightroom magic...

It is a bit tricky getting the exposure right as the Canon does not see things quite the same as my Sekonic light meter and I am still working on that issue. I'll eventually master it.

It would be lovely to be able to use them with the combination of perspective lines and framing they were designed to provide. But that would lead to me experiencing some domestic disharmony. Wisdom suggests that to not indulge is a better choice. It would be lovely, especially since I have a substantial collection. Sometime I must line them up for a portrait to put here.

08-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #14975
Pentaxian

Yes, Dave, it is a 1Ds and I finally got an M42 to EOS EF adapter so now I can use my Takumars on a full frame camera at their specified focal length. Here are a few shots taken with a Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 (V2 49mm filter). The quality of these old lenses is immediately obvious. It is a CMOS sensor but with a liitle bit of Lightroom magic...

Looks promising, Ray. Canons like the 1Ds and the original 5D seem to offer a very tempting low-cost way into digital full frame. I think I'm going to be following your results with great interest. Are you aware of any problems with mirror clearance with the 1Ds, as the 5D is notorious for?

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
STak 20/4.5, probably about f8. This shows nicely the barrel distortion which is part of what I find quite appealing about this lens.

The perfect way to test barrel distortion. I think I might be heading out later looking for pylons.
08-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #14976
Pentaxian

Looks promising, Ray. Canons like the 1Ds and the original 5D seem to offer a very tempting low-cost way into digital full frame. I think I'm going to be following your results with great interest. Are you aware of any problems with mirror clearance with the 1Ds, as the 5D is notorious for?

The perfect way to test barrel distortion. I think I might be heading out later looking for pylons.
It shows the distortion but I did not do it as a test. I did it because I thought it would look interesting.
08-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #14977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Dave. I am very happy with those images. There are no problems with mirror clearance when using screw mount lenses as nothing protrudes past the mount. I have been told that the clearance problem occurs with K-mount lenses where the aperture lever can foul the mirror and needs to be removed. As that would render my K-mount lenses then unusable on my Pentax cameras it was not about to happen. An additional problem is that the Canons cannot operate the aperture lever and thus you can only use K-mount lenses with an aperture ring. Only one of my lenses has an aperture ring and the rest do not and they would then only operate at minimum aperture which is not the way I would want to use them.

Thus, I only bought an M42 adapter. It said that it would work in AV mode (as the M42 adapter works on our Pentax cameras) but it does not. But I am happy to work in manual mode. I have worked out that if I set my Sekonic meter to 1 stop over-exposure I get a good starting point with images that may just need a small adjustment.

Re working with the 1Ds: it is very heavy (built like a tank), it is very slow writing to the CF card, the rear screen is VERY small and not easy to read. But, as I received it as a gift, I am not complaining as the 11.1MB RAW images are quite nice to work with and Takumars make them even better. HTH.

08-04-2017, 09:56 AM - 7 Likes   #14978
Forum Member

SMC Takumar 50/1.4

---------- Post added 08-04-17 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
My first thought was "It looks like Ukraine". And yes, it is. Our girls are the best!
Yes, our girls are best of the best )

Amina and S-M-C Takumar 85/1.9

Last edited by Josslen; 08-04-2017 at 10:04 AM.
08-04-2017, 06:29 PM - 9 Likes   #14979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely shots and subjects. I can't compete!

SMC 55mm F1.8 Tak on a Fuji X-T20:

The Dog
by Aaron, on Flickr
08-05-2017, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #14980
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't see too many photos from this lens here. This is the Super-Tak 150/4 on the #3 K extension tube on the K-1. Note the focal length in the EXIF is wrong since I forgot to change it in the camera when changing lenses. This lens has very clean output with accurate colors.

08-05-2017, 05:59 PM - 5 Likes   #14981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

S-M-C Takumar 120mm ƒ2.8 on the K-3

RoS, bee goin' in
by Chuck Campbell, on Flickr

RoS, bee comin' out
by Chuck Campbell, on Flickr
08-05-2017, 07:30 PM - 6 Likes   #14982

I have the lovely Takumar 200mm F4 -

08-07-2017, 10:59 AM - 10 Likes   #14983
Forum Member

Super Takumar 135/2.5

08-07-2017, 09:11 PM - 3 Likes   #14984

Takumar 200mm f3.5, shot wide open on a K-70. I also like the color version, hard to decide which to show.
08-08-2017, 01:21 AM - 9 Likes   #14985
Pentaxian

Another summer day on Dartmoor, taken with a new Super Takumar 55mm/2.0 that I like even more than my old Super Takumar 55mm/2.0. The older one (with the reversed aperture ring) is slightly yellowed, but the new one (normal aperture ring) is completely clear. So now I can choose between the two depending on the rendering I want.

And seeing as the Takumar Club is about to hit page 1000, I'd like to give a mention to some of those who first made the whole thing possible:

Mr Ryohei Suzuki -- Takumar Designer.

Mr Yasuo Takahashi -- Takumar Designer.

Mr Kazamaki Tomokazu -- Takumar Designer.

Mr Tohru Matzumoto -- Takumar Designer.

Mr Takuma Kajiwara -- Japanese/American photographer and artist, after whom our lenses are named.

Gentlemen, we salute you!

(Information source: through the viewfinder: Known Pentax lens designs and designers)

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 08-08-2017 at 01:34 AM.
« The Kit Lens Club! | - »