Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14365 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 07:32 AM - 7 Likes   #15121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I finally managed to get out to try a few quick snaps with the 17mm/4.0 Fisheye yesterday evening and this morning.

There is slight motion blur in this first one. I was walking backwards to keep the pony in frame, and I hadn't got around to trying out shake reduction settings yet. It turns out that the 15mm shake reduction setting works best, which makes sense as the fisheye projection gives the 17mm about the same field of view as a 15mm rectilinear. This one is de-fished using PT Lens:

This next one is also de-fished, which is how I'll probably be using the 17mm most of the time:

This last one has not been de-fished. The fisheye effect slightly exaggerates the tilt of the stone cross, but only slightly. Centuries of ponies rubbing up against it for a scratch have left it at quite an angle.

Overall first impressions: the colour rendering is slightly cold for a Tak, which I suspect might have something to do with the built-in UV filter. And it's a very contrasty lens, which I know is supposed to be a good thing, but personally I prefer a bit less contrast to give me a more malleable raw file. For the sharpness fans, you need to shoot at f/11 to get good corners even on APS-C. I'm looking forward to getting to know this lens better, and I think it might take some time before I really start understanding how to use it right.

09-19-2017, 07:55 AM - 12 Likes   #15122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I finally managed to get out to try a few quick snaps with the 17mm/4.0 Fisheye yesterday evening and this morning.

Interesting to see this lens in action and read your comments with a fine set of photos. I've often thought about getting the lens, but then remind myself that I tend to do so much processing to photos, including landscapes, it's OK to stick with at the longer end of the DA10-17mm .

Here's an example of a recently processed photo from a Super-Takumar 50/1.4, 8 elements version.

09-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #15123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful light and settings for testing your new Tak, Dave. I think that after you familiarize yourself with the lens, you'll come up with some creative ways to put the fisheye effect to good use.

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Here's an example of a recently processed photo from a Super-Takumar 50/1.4, 8 elements version.
Simply gorgeous!

Last edited by paulh; 09-21-2017 at 08:18 AM.
09-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #15124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is slight motion blur in this first one. I was walking backwards to keep the pony in frame, and I hadn't got around to trying out shake reduction settings yet. It turns out that the 15mm shake reduction setting works best, which makes sense as the fisheye projection gives the 17mm about the same field of view as a 15mm rectilinear. This one is de-fished using PT Lens:

This next one is also de-fished, which is how I'll probably be using the 17mm most of the time:

This last one has not been de-fished. The fisheye effect slightly exaggerates the tilt of the stone cross, but only slightly. Centuries of ponies rubbing up against it for a scratch have left it at quite an angle.

Overall first impressions: the colour rendering is slightly cold for a Tak, which I suspect might have something to do with the built-in UV filter. And it's a very contrasty lens, which I know is supposed to be a good thing, but personally I prefer a bit less contrast to give me a more malleable raw file. For the sharpness fans, you need to shoot at f/11 to get good corners even on APS-C. I'm looking forward to getting to know this lens better, and I think it might take some time before I really start understanding how to use it right.
I am really impressed with the results you are getting so far, Dave. I know that the time of day plays a part but those images really jump out at you. That is the sort of rendering that I strive for. I can't wait to see more.

09-21-2017, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #15125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from early March with a Super Tak 35/3.5 on *ist D. I used the Haldclut film emulation in RawTherapee for this one. Agfa Precisa 100:
09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #15126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
One from early March with a Super Tak 35/3.5 on *ist D. I used the Haldclut film emulation in RawTherapee for this one. Agfa Precisa 100:
Haldclut?? I had to Google that one, Paul. I had never heard of that but now I know that it exists. I'll read more about it later. It certainly did not do any harm to that image.
I have used Raw Therapee in the past and it does produce good results but it was a bit buggy on Windows at the time. I might download the latest version and see how it goes on Windows 10.
09-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #15127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Haldclut?? I had to Google that one, Paul. I had never heard of that but now I know that it exists. I'll read more about it later. It certainly did not do any harm to that image.
I have used Raw Therapee in the past and it does produce good results but it was a bit buggy on Windows at the time. I might download the latest version and see how it goes on Windows 10.
Thanks Ray. I'm running RawTherapee in its native Linux form, which works flawlessly. Have a look here for more examples of the Haldclut presets and other film emulations:
The Film Emulation Challenge - Post your Digital Pictures with that Film look - PentaxForums.com

09-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #15128

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
Interesting to see this lens in action and read your comments with a fine set of photos. I've often thought about getting the lens, but then remind myself that I tend to do so much processing to photos, including landscapes, it's OK to stick with at the longer end of the DA10-17mm .

Great colors, is taken just wiht lens no extension tubes etc?

Thanks for sharing
gh8st
09-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #15129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Ray. I'm running RawTherapee in its native Linux form, which works flawlessly. Have a look here for more examples of the Haldclut presets and other film emulations:
The Film Emulation Challenge - Post your Digital Pictures with that Film look - PentaxForums.com
I'm on the fence with RT - it does really well with Fuji X gear, and the Fuji Astia HaldClut preset is awesome (example is not a Tak, but similar colours!):

Summer in the garden
by Aaron, on Flickr

I do find there are a number of sliders to set, seems a little complex at times, but it does a good job.
09-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #15130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the vote of confidence in RT, Paul. Have now downloaded and installed the latest Win10 64-bit version. It looks a bit different from when I last used it. So, now for something new to learn and keep my brain active. I'll post results if it does things better than PS and LR.
09-23-2017, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #15131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gh8st Quote
Great colors, is taken just wiht lens no extension tubes etc?
Many thanks. Yes, this was taken just with the lens, but the photo has been cropped to get closer in to the flower. I took the photo below for a Macro Monday's high key theme day on Flickr, with a Macro-Takumar 50/4 Preset. It's a head scratcher....

09-24-2017, 06:05 AM - 4 Likes   #15132

All taken with the 135 3.5 plus GX80, started a foggy day by going to my local Dock, the things on top of the boat on first image are wind turbine blades, they are locally made.
Keep on moving and crossed the scene on the last photos, it's a bunch of fisherman catching "cockle?" during low tide.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
09-26-2017, 08:23 AM - 4 Likes   #15133

Takumar 200mm f/3.5. It works nicely with a monopod. 200mm is kind of hard for me to nail focus but I'll practice. Going to order a yellow filter for this lens next payday and shoot some BW!

---------- Post added 2017-09-27 at 00:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
All taken with the 135 3.5 plus GX80, started a foggy day by going to my local Dock, the things on top of the boat on first image are wind turbine blades, they are locally made.
Keep on moving and crossed the scene on the last photos, it's a bunch of fisherman catching "cockle?" during low tide.
I love the last image! Do your samples of this lens have a lot of LoCA?
09-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #15134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangi Quote
Takumar 200mm f/3.5. It works nicely with a monopod. 200mm is kind of hard for me to nail focus but I'll practice. Going to order a yellow filter for this lens next payday and shoot some BW!

That's a beautiful and thought-provoking photograph, with the child clutching the phone that defines 21st Century life. Photography at its best.

This one of mine is nowhere near that league. Really just another test shot with the Takumar 17mm (xposted).

09-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #15135

QuoteOriginally posted by rangi Quote
I love the last image! Do your samples of this lens have a lot of LoCA?
That image has a pretty big crop, SMC 100 was the "longest" lens I had with me, it's a pretty small lens fits well with my m43 kit, at least until I buy a native longer lens.
I don't have enough images with this lens to give it a proper review, and most of are film BW, only recently started using it on the GX80, I can show you some straight from raw files, you decide.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX80  Photo