Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #15301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I had to be in Plymouth yesterday, but I managed to get time for a walk on the Hoe and Barbican, so that's fine. Here's a shot of Smeaton's Tower on Plymouth Hoe in the winter afternoon light. with the 17mm in full fisheye mode:

EDIT: I decided that the light in the tower shot gives too much of a colour cast, so here's a colour corrected version:

This next one is more of a snapshot, but I think it has some historical interest. It's the Mayflower Steps on Plymouth's Barbican, which commemorates the place where the Pilgrim Fathers (and Pilgrim Mothers and kids) boarded the Mayflower to sail to the new world. The quayside has been extended by about thirty feet since then, so nobody really knows where the actual spot was, but this is close enough. And there's another country that also has its origins on this quayside: it's the place from where the first convict ship sailed to what eventually became Australia. Lots of weight of history resting on this little place. The photo is also with the 17mm, but this time defished.

In your hands, Dave, that 17mm is a star. Very nice images. I do prefer the colour corrected version of the tower but the first one is still acceptable.

Thank you so much for that third image as it does have significant historical interest for this resident of Australia. I may not be a "First Fleeter" but that photo is still appreciated. However, I really think that there should be three flag poles there - British, American and Australian. Would you please ask them to erect another one?

BTW, a First Fleeter is person who can trace their family lineage back to somebody who arrived in one of the first fleet of boats that arrived here from Plymouth. It matters not whether they were crew, military or convict. There was a time when people did not want that fact to be known but, as times and values change, it is now something which is regarded as a badge of honour.

12-08-2017, 08:50 PM - 7 Likes   #15302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found an old sd card and took a look...this is from a couple of years ago with my K-x and my trusty takumar super multi coated macro 50 mm/f4. Looking back, that K-x and tak 50 macro was a great combo. The K-x was my first dslr, and the takumars were a great entry lens for a budget minded fella that was learning to use a camera. I love my k70, but when I look at the pics I took with my K-x and especially the k10d that I had for a short time, I sometimes feel as if the those older pics were better than what I get now. Maybe it's just nostalgia?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
12-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #15303
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
I found an old sd card and took a look...this is from a couple of years ago with my K-x and my trusty takumar super multi coated macro 50 mm/f4. Looking back, that K-x and tak 50 macro was a great combo. The K-x was my first dslr, and the takumars were a great entry lens for a budget minded fella that was learning to use a camera. I love my k70, but when I look at the pics I took with my K-x and especially the k10d that I had for a short time, I sometimes feel as if the those older pics were better than what I get now. Maybe it's just nostalgia?

Without knowing the exact qualities that make you happier it is hard to say. but maybe there are differences.

With manual focus lenses are you now not quite getting the focus on the bit you want - perhaps a viewfinder difference (either the inherent design or calibration).

The different bodies have different sensors which have different dynamic range, noise, and colour characteristics. Some of that might be adjustable in PP but the question is what amount of effort is required to achieve equivalent results.
12-09-2017, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #15304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Thank you so much for that third image as it does have significant historical interest for this resident of Australia. I may not be a "First Fleeter" but that photo is still appreciated. However, I really think that there should be three flag poles there - British, American and Australian. Would you please ask them to erect another one?

I completely agree, Ray. It's outrageous that Australia only gets an easily missed wall plaque nearby.

The truth is, Plymouth has missed a massive open goal in what it has done with the Barbican quayside. The old fish market is right next to the spot in my photo, and it's a beautiful Victorian cast iron structure in itself. When it closed down back in the nineties they should have turned it into a museum/visitor centre that could have made Plymouth an attractive destination for both Australian and American visitors to the UK. It probably would have brought the lucrative cruise ship market to the city too. But instead they turned it into slightly tacky glass-blowing place that has nothing at all to do with Plymouth's long and fascinating history.

Next time I'm in Plymouth, I'll leave a little Australian flag at the spot on your behalf.

12-09-2017, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #15305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto-Takumar 55mm f2.0 lens

I'm not a fan of flare, so I'm glad when I don't get any in my photos. The sun would've been sharper if I hadn't had a polarizing filter on the lens. Something to remember . . . Shot at f9.

---------- Post added 12-09-17 at 04:39 AM ----------

"On the Waterfront", shot at f9.

12-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #15306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I completely agree, Ray. It's outrageous that Australia only gets an easily missed wall plaque nearby.

Next time I'm in Plymouth, I'll leave a little Australian flag at the spot on your behalf.
Thank you, my friend. Much appreciated.
12-10-2017, 04:35 PM - 6 Likes   #15307
Pentaxian

Super Takumar 200mm f2 on a K5ii

Downy woodpecker

Red breasted nuthatch

Mountain chickadee

12-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #15308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Super Takumar 200mm f2
12-12-2017, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #15309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took this photo yesterday morning at 9AM. I've never seen it so hazy. I posted it to my Flick'r account and noticed banding in the sky that really bothered me, so I decided to research it and correct it if I could and then replace the photo. Unfortunately, the banding didn't bother some people as much as me and it was nominated to Explore. So I hurriedly applied a Lightroom correction that someone recommended which is applying grain to the image. The before image is above, the after below. Some improvement. Anyone else have any experience with this issue? I wonder if having a CPL filter on the lens was a contributing factor. Also, the image is much smoother in LR before the file size is reduced in Irfanview. I wonder why.

Last edited by Andrew_Oid; 12-12-2017 at 03:00 AM.
12-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #15310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew_Oid Quote
noticed banding in the sky that really bothered me
First of all, very nice photo and congrats on Explore! I'm also curious about the cause of the banding and will be watching the replies. Normally I would attribute it to something in the .jpg compression, but I'm not sure that's the case here....
12-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #15311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
First of all, very nice photo and congrats on Explore! I'm also curious about the cause of the banding and will be watching the replies. Normally I would attribute it to something in the .jpg compression, but I'm not sure that's the case here....
Thanks for your reply, Paul. From what I can see online the banding is probably caused by shooting jpeg as opposed to RAW, 8 bit versus 16 bit. On the a7 i do shoot highest quality jpeg because for some reason RAW files from the camera won't open in LR and need to be converted to TIFF format in Image Data Converter first making more work. But I guess I'll have to change back to RAW. It seems strange because I never had any problem with RAW files from the a850. I might have to make some software changes, too, but for now I'll just change the file format to RAW. The Google page with the information: Strange Digital Banding in Skies - Is that normal? | Photo.net Photography Forums
12-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #15312
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have always used RAW because it is designed as a lossless format, jpg is designed as a lossy compression format. Once information is gone, you NEVER get it back.
12-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #15313
Pentaxian

Even in raw, banding seems to be a sensor-dependent issue, and one that seems not to be related merely to megapixels. With the 20MP sensor in the K-S1 I can hardly make any adjustments to a cloudy sky at all before I start getting banding and posterisation. But with the 10MP sensor in the GX-10(K10D) I can easily pull a cloudy sky by three stops without problems. I assume (or at least hope) that newer and better CMOS sensors than the one in the K-S1, especially ones with 14 bit raw, won't have the same problem.

Is it possible that even the raw files from some cameras have been put through lossy compression?
12-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #15314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried to get banding by shooting a mostly clear blue sky in highest quality jpg and then in RAW but didn't see any banding or difference between the two shots. Though I have several photo software programs, LR, Photoshop Elements, and Capture One, I can't open the RAW files in the first two and I can't do much of anything with them in the other, forcing me to open them in Image Data Converter, convert them to 16 bit Tiff files and then import those into LR, a big hassle IMO. I did log onto the Adobe forums and ask where I could download the free patch enabling my LR program to import the new Sony RAW files. Anyway, the sharpness of the Tak 55's always amazes. The photo is from my banding test session.
Other than adjusting the white balance a tad, no PP.
12-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #15315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible that even the raw files from some cameras have been put through lossy compression?
They would not dare to "cook" a RAW file, even just a little bit, would they? That would be naughty IMHO.